Doggie Style

Back in May, I asked for some advice finding the right watercraft for me and my large golden retriever.

Thanks for all of your suggestions, for I certainly did a lot of researching and testing, but finally decided to buy a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 130T.

It is a 13.5’ triyak, with three molded seats and is still light enough (albeit barely at 65lbs) to load and unload from the cartop by myself.

With the three seats, you can move around to distribute your weight to balance the kayak, thereby accommodating multiple configurations. For example, I can paddle it by myself using the middle seat, or with my pup up front and me in the rear seat, or take my nieces out with one in the front, one in the back, and me in the middle… you get the idea.

Also, the stability is excellent, so the dog and kids can jump off and on with no problems. (I put down a non-skid rubberized mat to help the dog keep his grip and to help him reboard, but have yet to perfect that.) Of course, a little maneuverability and speed are sacrificed, but when making good time with the kids or the dog, the emphasis is on “good” much more than “time”.

Just wanted others who are looking for a good solution to the large dog situation (or small kiddies) it will be worth your while to look at the Tarpon 130T. Happy paddling!

I think that’s a pretty good solution
for good times in warm waters. Of course, when your dog realizes it is pretty easy to reboard, he may be jumping off more than you want him to. But dogs can be trained to do, or not to do, anything within their physical capabilities.

excellent!
glad it worked out for ya. our dog used to love the canoe but it’s pretty limited.

steve

dogs are better in canoes?
http://www.adventurecanoe.com/forum/topic/best-paddling-photograph-ever#post-91

looks like you found the right kayak for your dog…

Congrats- nice boat
My wife and I rented one in the Keys this year and enjoyed it.