Don't bring your own firewood

This came up on another post in Wilderness Tripping and I commented when some of the participants mentioned hauling their own firewood on canoe trips. I have been surprised how many outdoor recreationalists are unaware of the state prohibitions on transporting non-treated firewood because it is a vector for accelerating the spread of tree-killing insects and diseases that are devastating many of our forests as well as, more recently, the invasion of the crop pest, spotted lantern flies.

The rate of death of hemlocks in particular here in PA in the last decade has been heartbreaking. Check this link to see what the restrictions are in your own state and in areas in which you plan to travel and rough camp:

4 Likes

Nice reference willowleaf. Thank you for posting.

…and it is heavy.

However camp grounds will sell local firewood. Supposedly kilm dried…but burns like green wood.

A small collection of charcoal under the tinder will allow the “green” wood to heat up and burn better.

NY State has similar restrictions

You cannot legally transport untreated firewood more than 50 miles from its source (which seems like a lot)

Under the Environmental Conservation Law, violations of these regulations are subject to a $250 fine, plus a $100 civil penalty and up to 15 days in jail.

That’s a really good point @willowleaf !

When we moved, I had three cords of seasoned hardwood banked at the old house. I did check whether it was safe (and legal) to move; turns out it was. A bit of a PITA to move three cords of wood…I think I may have slightly overloaded a 6X12 UHaul utility trailer with a couple of loads… :slight_smile:

Not just states. Provinces and countries too. This is why so many places provide firewood (e.g. Canadian national parks require you to have a fire permit to burn wood within the park limits, but if you do, you’re provided with firewood at no charge).

2 Likes

If you kiln dry it, then set it outside in the rain wrapped in plastic its not dry anymore.

1 Like

I live near emerald ash borer’s ground zero. My neighbor and I ended up cutting down 16 trees along the river and had to hire people to take down our 80-footers. Michigan had 80 million ash trees, and my heart sank seeing the skeletal forests on my daily commute.

I learned to recognize the early stage’s thinning leaves and lightened color. The year after they discovered it, it showed up down I 75 in OH and KY on our vacation trips, and I recognized it on TV’s Hometime where they were building a house in Wisconsin. In each state it showed up first near a campground. It seems that by the time people are aware of this stuff it is way way too late.

Now that zebra and quagga mussels and starry stonewort have already changed the lakes and rivers around here big time, the wash your boat notices are finally popping up everywhere. The Columbian Exchange marches on.

2 Likes