Doritos and 10-foot kayaks from Menards

http://abc7chicago.com/news/kayakers-rescued-from-lake-michigan-at-montrose-harbor/1482252/ (report after 30-second ad)

Found the story at a relatively new site advocating safety. http://www.paddlesafely.com/

I wish something like that came

– Last Updated: Aug-27-16 6:35 PM EST –

with every kayak sold. Doesn't guarantee the buyer will read but is better than the nothing you get from big box stores.

I rue the decline of paddlesport stores where this sort of information was passed on freely before you bought

After all you don't know what you have not learned about. Ignorance does not equal stupidity.

Its fun digging into that website..So far I am finding it quite informative.The section of waves is interesting.. I forgot the numbers for breaking waves.

Maybe Pnet will provide a link to it
somewhere here, since it offers very good information.

A great link to provide folks new to the sport seeking information on what kayak to buy.

I like that table on fully developed seas so much, am printing it and sticking it on my refrigerator.

Nice compilation
5 miles from shore with pool toys? No floatation, uber basic rec kayaks. I wonder if they realize how close Darwin was following them. Ok not a very generous view but I’m getting weary of the systemic risk/hazard ignorance.

I’m going to read through the Paddlingsafely site more but I’m liking what I’m seeing so far.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

fb.me/theriverconnection

Speaking of unsafe
Apparently the link ( http://www.paddlesafely.com/) according to Microsoft is unsafe.

Site is fine
No such warnings using Chrome or Safari and associated security programs on my Windows 7 machine or iPad Mini 4.

they should be charged for rescue

– Last Updated: Aug-29-16 12:11 PM EST –

People who blunder that badly should be penalized financially for the cost of the rescue.

I like the system that was in place in the mountaineering region of the Canadian Rockies when I used to go up there to climb back in the '70's. '80's and '90's. There were registration books at each trail head parking area alongside postings with warnings of the objective dangers present in the area and a list of equipment and skills people entering should have before proceeding. You had to list the date, number in your party, your expected route and destination and when you expected to return. You checked off that you had read the warnings and then signed in with a name, address and contact number. When you completed your trip you signed out that you were back safely.

The park service checked the registries daily and would initiate a search if you failed to check in by your estimated exit date. If you required rescue and had filled out all the information in the registry and had the proper recommended gear, you would not be required to pay any of the rescue fee (which is thousands of dollars an hour, especially if a helicopter is required.) If you had failed to record your planned outing or were evidently not reasonably prepared and equipped, you could be liable for some or all of the costs. They could also go after you for costs if you failed to sign back in after your trip was over, if that failure led to a fruitless search for what was thought to be your missing party.

I think some version of this type of system could be a useful tactic to mitigate this type of misadventure, if only to force people to become advised of the potential hazards they face in blundering into environments about which they are obviously clueless.

Great website content!
I spent some time checking out the various sections on the “Paddle Safely” site. Kudos to the creators!

We could help a lot of the newbies who ask questions on here by providing a link to it – their illumination of the differences among rec, touring and whitewater boats is particularly clear and succinct. The short video on fitting PFD’s is also very good.

Bill Gates attempt at irony