double bagging drysacks? to paranoid?

Just purchased a Cabellas large Drysack with shoulder straps to carry when portaging. Does anyone here use a drysack inside the drysack? Am I to paranoid? should I put my 0F synthetic sleeping bag in a drysack and then put that in the large drysack? Temps will probably be below freezing when I’m going. I’m guessing if it fits then why not? Opinions please.

use a drybag instead of stuffsack
Since you need to stuff your sleeping bag in something anyways, might as well use a drybag, IMO. Then you can toss that in your portage pack. Save the nylon stuff sack you got with your sleeping bag for storing kitchen kit.

You are not paranoid
I always put “stuff that MUST stay” dry in an individual drysack. Then the collection of drysacks with their items inside into another drysack.

Most experienced canoe trippers out there for a week to three months all double dry bag. If my sleeping bag gets wet, and I get hypothermia, its pretty serious. I am not in the vicinity of town, roads or cell phones.

yep
Thx, your exactly right, I knew the answer just wanted to hear it from others with experience. To late now but it would be nice to get a compression dry sack if they make one. My friend gave me the idea when he mentioned double drysacking his clothes. I figure clothes and sleeping bag.

Trash compactor bags work great…
Line your normal compression sack with a compactor bag, great way to get a waterproof setup for cheap. Works just as good as a dry bag IMO. Easy to stash an extra bag or two if needed…

Not sure I understand …

– Last Updated: Apr-11-11 12:02 AM EST –

Your going paddling in near freezing temperatures
and you aren't sure how to keep your stuff dry ?

Danger - Warning - Danger - Warning - alarms go off

Have you flipped a boat in ice cold water before
-- novice, beginner, never swam a wet exit ?

Submerge a dry sack, and water can and will get in
-- most manufacturers state that emphatically

Need a lot more info please - experience, boat, location

OR makes them
perhaps others make compression drysacks.

Very handy for sleeping bag and clothes.

additional comments
all good comments…

cant hurt to.

one thing that is so very common is people DONT know how to close a dry bag properly to avoid water getting if you dump…know how!

Also dont use…i repeat DONT use the strap-loops formed by closing the buckles on dry bags as a handle strap to carry!!! The stitching is the weakest part of any dry bag so dont be grabbing that at all…instead use the gap formed ridge made by folding the drybag over as the handle…

I have dry bags that are 15 years old i still use.

Even a carefully closed roll-top can
wick small amounts of water into the bag due to temperature and pressure variations. If stuff in a roll-top MUST stay dry, then secondary sealed bags inside are a must.

Otherwise buy Watershed. Their rubber zip tops do not leak.

Ziplocs
I put things that absolutely must stay dry (electronics, medication, etc.) in Ziplocs inside the dry sack, but the only thing I double sack are the sleeping bags. That is chiefly because I need to put them in a compression sack anyway, so it may as well be a dry sack. I use OR Hydroseal sacks for the sleeping bags.

dry bags are not watwrproof
You may want to check out an article in the Winter 2010 issue of California Kayaker Magazine (read online for free at http://www.calkayakermag.com/magazine.html - article starts on Page 27) which reviewed the different forms of dry storage.

In summary, dry bags are not really waterproof, and as said above, many people do not seal them correctly. Zip style closures also have mixed results. The dry storage that are waterproof are containers that clamp hard surfaces against a gasket, like dry boxes or AquaPac style dry bags (but you must be careful with the gasket to keep them from being damages or from getting sand/dirt on them).

These truly waterproof containers are expensive, which is why many people chose to keep things that aren’t as important in cheaper dry storage like dry bags. Electronics/cell hone/etc. in dry box, spare clothing (which should be materials that don’t wick water - not cotton) in dry bags.

They didn’t test Watershed, or if they
did, I can’t tell it. My Watershed bags have never leaked. Aquapac are not even comparable.

“There did not appear to be any of the zip

closure bags developed specifically

for the outdoors market in the kayak.” Watershed makes the FUTU, which is specifically designed as a combination gear bag and floatation bag for whitewater kayaks.

Too paranoid?

– Last Updated: Apr-11-11 2:17 PM EST –

Ever crawled into a wet sleeping bag when the temp. was below zero?

Ever tried to dry out a wet sleeping bag; so you didn't have to crawl into a wet sleeping bag, when the temp. was below zero?

Think about it...........

Then ask yourself, "Am I being too paranoid"?

BOB

Waterproof is not Water Resistant

– Last Updated: Apr-11-11 2:22 PM EST –

Before we throw terms around, perhaps some ground rules ?

Waterproof means exactly that - when submerged in
2 feet of water, like with a sunken kayak where
hatches are completely under water and full of water,
will the bag NOT let any water in whatsoever.

Water-resistant will never be waterproof

http://bit.ly/SoakedStuff

It is worth reading, especially if you bet your life
in ice cold water and below freezing temps.

As a kayaker you DO risk your gear getting wet
- learn to deal with it

Understood
I have experience going over in all different type of temps. Some times they were for practice and the other times were, ummm, oops sorry Ray! Paddling in the ADK’s of NYS and hopefully we will have “ice out” next week.

I agree that for the extra few ounces or lb that the drysack weighs it’s worth it. Wet sleeping bags are no fun.

I’ll probably use a contractor plastic bag inside my compression sack to keep the sleeping bag dry. Or maybe a plastic bag on outside also.