Double Bent Canoe Paddles????

Have some questions about these. I understand that the second bend in these paddles is designed to put your shaft hand wrist in a more neutral position during the catch.

This is definitely a good thing for those of us who suffer from chronic tendonitis…paddling definitely inflames my tendonitis in the wrists and forearms so I am interested in these.

My question though is about the “net total” bend of these.

For instance…my whiskey jack paddle has a 12 degree bend which I like.

The double bent version has a 12 degree bend as well and a 5 degree reverse bend.

So…is the overall bend of the paddle only 7 degrees when compared to a straight shaft? If so that is not much of a bent shaft at all it would seem.

However, it woudl seem to me that if these paddles are to fill the same niche as the single bend version that they woudl design them to have the same total net bend effect.

Is there something else here that I am missing that would make this paddle perform the same as the single bend version in terms of performance while still allowing a more neutral wrist position, or do you have to sacrifice some of the benefits of the bent shaft in order to achieve the neutral wrist position?

If so then would you likely want to order a slightly longer paddle if you get a double bend compared to the length of your single bend paddle?

thanks

Matt

That does it!

– Last Updated: Oct-04-09 4:41 PM EST –

We kayakers are all getting a little tired of you canoeists complaining about your bent paddles! Every other post is something about a "bent shaft". Now, you're whining about DOUBLE bends!

I don't read negative posts and I'm not about to read yours.

For crying out loud, why don't you guys fork over a little cash and buy DECENT PADDLES!

WTF???

– Last Updated: Oct-04-09 7:40 PM EST –

WTF was that????

Actually I am a kayaker primarily which makes it even more ironic...
Was that some kind of a joke? Sometimes I just don't quite understand people.

Well....question stands.

Matt

Dbl bends
reduce wrist torsion, hence may reduce carpel tunnel issues, but yes, they reduce the bend, so don’t work as well sitting as a 12 dg.

gotcha…
a bit of a trade-off. Guess I will have to see just how much tendonitis does and may break down for the double bend if it becomes necessary.

Tendonitis is what caused me to start using a Greenland kayak paddle which did wonders to help and which I still use a lot but not all the time.

Maybe a double bend may be a good thing to throw in the quiver for longer multi-day trips.

Tendonitis is killing me today…

Matt

Good old Carpel tunnel.
a month or so ago, I asked about it here on P-net, and a couple of respondents mentioned acupuncture as a possible cure.

I called a local medical doctor who does it, and had an appointment for a consultation a few days ago.

My appointment was for 9:15 Am, and was in their office at 9:00.

At 10:15, a nurse came and got me and took my weight and blood pressure, and then put me in a room and said the doctor would be with me in “a few minutes”.

As I was sitting there, I noticed a sign on the wall that said " if the doctor doesn’t see you within 30 minutes to please notify a nurse or go to the front desk. Forty five minutes later, I left the room and couldn’t find a nurse, so I went to the front desk and bid them farewell.

I decided right then and there, that I will just live with my carpel tunnel problems.

I wonder if a triple bent shaft might work ?

cheers,

JackL

well…
I don’t have carpel tunnel but have bad chronic tendonitis in the various tendons in my forearms and wrists…believe it is largely from being mis-prescribed heavy doses of steroids as an anti-inflamatory for another issue for years. Now we know better than that and realize that such overuse of these drugs can cause your tendons and ligaments to break down.

But…I have found that physical therapy makes a huge difference for me along with the deep cross-frictional massage that they do. I was a non-believer in PT but now am sold on it.

One thing that my PT did point out to me was that any time you are gripping and pulling with wrist out of proper alignment it puts a lot of extra strain on the various tendons in the wrist and forearm.

Somewhat unavoidable with a conventional bent shaft paddle

Matt

Yeah, that was a joke
Sorry, didn’t realize you were a fellow Marylander.

LOL
He’s also recovering from a long-time love affair with kayaks. You know how that goes. They look pretty good after a few drinks, but when you wake up in the morning . . . What he really needs is a single blade Greenland bent - a real man’s paddle for real man conditions.

Try a Whiskey Jill
I tried one this weekend, because a friend in the club had a new one. I thought it would be too slow and not had enough power. I was wrong. For all day paddling I think this would be the cats meow.

I also think a paddle with a 7 degree actual bend might work just fine.