Double bladed paddle for OT Pack

Hi, newbie here needing advice on a double-bladed paddle to use with my Pack canoe. I don’t want to spend a ton of money, but don’t need cheap either. I will be fishing, bird watching and sight-seeing on small lakes. I will have my seat lowered a little (not sure exactly how much) and I’m 5’9" 180 lbs. I have a long reach, but I’m not a chimpanzee or anything.

So far, I like the style and price of the Carlisle Next for the double blade paddle. What do you folks think?Any advice on that or another paddle? For size I was thinking 260 cm, but I’m really not sure. Thanks for the help!

length
260 is awfully long. What’s the beam of the canoe?

I use I think a 240 on my Argosy and it’s ok.

Bill H.

The Pack has a 32" beam.

you like the style of the Next?
Are you a powerful paddler with a high angle stroke?

That is one heavy paddle. Its got a fair amount of blade area and increased blade area could be too much on your joints for now until you get some training in.

I suspect you do need a Euro style blade as the OT Pack seat is quite a bit above the water. If you have a high angle stroke you can go shorter than a 260. If you have a low angle stroke you probably need a 260. And long paddles that have a lot of weight in the blade are more tiring.

I have been using a Wind Swift for 25 years now… A low angle fairly light paddle.

A paddle is NOT the place to economize. Buy the best you can. Its your immediate contact with the water and you.

I paddle the Pack Angler version
with a 230 Bending Branches “Dream” and it’s a bit short, though not unmanageable. I’m 5’11" and the seat in the Angler is lower than your Pack. One of these days I’ll borrow a 240 and see if that 10cm really makes much difference. I don’t expect to go on expeditions in that canoe. It’s not really designed for that. I paddle for a ways and stop to fish. Remember the purpose of the little canoe and don’t go broke buying a paddle for an epic cruise unless you really intend on doing that.

hull, size, paddle
The OT Pack is pretty wide at the rails, indicating a longish double blade, 250-260 to reach water across those rails. The Argosy mentioned above has tumblehome which allows a shorter stick.

The Carlisle dbl blade is too heavy. At entry level, try Foxworks with wood shaft and fiberglass over wood blades. Their are lighter yet paddles from Aqua Bound, AT and Werner, the best are 18 oz bent shaft carbon sticks around $475. The Next Carlisle is the bottom of the barrel. Something mid range will function better.

There are a couple of buying approaches
Cheap is never the last nor the best.

It may ( or not) help to regard your paddle as an investment. If you go light and as well made as possible over the long run, you will paddle more and not have to buy another paddle.

The cost per use therefore will be lowest.