Double Overhead (12.5'@16 Sec) in Mass Bay

Overhead swells all week with the departing nor’easter and an incoming one midweek. Seven years ago, would have have been all over it… Now, aging and busted party parts dictate discretion. Think I’ll wait until the end of week when swells drop to head high and lower. :wink:

Will find out if there will even be parking at the homebreak given the damage left by nor’easter Riley…

sing

Wishing y’all a swift recovery…

Hope Riley hasn’t made too much of a mess of things. Water is awfully powerful - a heavily used and always reliable WW stretch of the Deerfield had some of its best class 2 portions for having simple fun forever transfigured by Irene, as well as losing an entire side of a class 3 drop.

Dude, double overhead from a seated position, would be like quadruple overhead! That’s insane! Maybe overhead 12-15 second intervals on a deep, well behaved point break, maybe I’d get out of the car.
Will be interesting to see how much things have shifted around with all these storms.
I’ve been eyeing the later part of the week, but still probably above my pay grade, need more time to get my mojo back.

@Celia said:
Hope Riley hasn’t made too much of a mess of things. Water is awfully powerful - a heavily used and always reliable WW stretch of the Deerfield had some of its best class 2 portions for having simple fun forever transfigured by Irene, as well as losing an entire side of a class 3 drop.

@Celia said:

Yup. Interesting to see the changes in the lines for the “Gap.” Around the shoreline, there are huge boulders appearing on the beaches that had not been there before. Some serious water action.

Looks like a lot of homes lost on the south shore of MA. I have not heard anything about Plum Island on the north shore. But it can’t be good…

@Johnnysmoke said:
Dude, double overhead from a seated position, would be like quadruple overhead! That’s insane! Maybe overhead 12-15 second intervals on a deep, well behaved point break, maybe I’d get out of the car.

I have done a couple of double overheads and probably a handful of overhead plus on the homebreak. There are routes out. Just have to be patient in finding the lull between sets. The double overheads were definitely more on the “fear” than the “fun” side of the equation. Now, after post heart value repair (still leaking) and a blown out ACL, the overhead days are behind me. I don’t have the same stamina and I worry about the knee. On one overhead day, I felt my knee joint go out of place in a thrashout. I rolled back up but the knee did not feel in place afterwards. Not much after that, I had to take a piece of meniscus out.

Will be interesting to see how much things have shifted around with all these storms. .
I’ve been eyeing the later part of the week, but still probably above my pay grade, need more time to get my mojo back.

I hope to get out Friday dawn patrol. Forecasted about shoulder to head. If not, I will definitely go for Saturday when swells are forecasted to be down around waist high.

sing

Yup feeling more mortal every year. I just had a big decade type birthday and feel old as a Paddling Net Geezer. My physical therapist had me promise no buttsurfing over head ++ waves after last back injury. My toe has finally healed after three months … geeez .

Never tried more than about 5 footers, and got beat up a bit doing that. So came back to shore after about 30 minutes. Didn’t start kayak surfing until 59. Only surfed in my teens, but body surf every time I am at the beach. This last year I have found that what my mind says I can do, my body often ends up correcting that assumption. My Dad says 94 ain’t pretty, but his mind still tells him he should be able to do more too. I guess if you enjoy something you tend to push yourself to do it. I feel that isn’t all bad, but we should listen to our body and be smart about it.

Chest high at a good interval is at the upper end of what I’d be comfortable with right now. Unless it was a nice clean point break, then I might take a spin or two on something with a bit more speed. Would hate to get snagged between sets on anything close to overhead, not as resilient as I was ten years ago. Need to get my strength and stamina up before getting out after anything more challenging. Been working on improving the shoulders, need to make the switch to weekend warrior, and do more at home conditioning so I’m not wrecking myself when I do get out.

@castoff Got a chuckle from your comment. The first time I tried a kayak surf class the waves were higher and closer than anything that made sense for mostly beginners. Ma Nature won that day. But thanks to a youth getting pounded down body surfing, I was quite comfortable in my many, many swims. So at least I hung onto my gear. There was at least one very expensive paddle lost that day. All I lost any impression of personal dignity and most days I am low on that anyway.

Edisto Beach with it’s breaking surf rolled me into a ball and spit me on the shell bank it called a beach when I body surfed it as a kid. It was a blast!

@SeaDart said:
Yup feeling more mortal every year. I just had a big decade type birthday and feel old as a Paddling Net Geezer. My physical therapist had me promise no buttsurfing over head ++ waves after last back injury. My toe has finally healed after three months … geeez .

How long have we been here… 16, 17 years? There are still some of us lingering (limping) around. LOL! Better than the alternative. Just keep doing it (as best as one can)! :slight_smile:

sing

@Johnnysmoke said:
Chest high at a good interval is at the upper end of what I’d be comfortable with right now. Unless it was a nice clean point break, then I might take a spin or two on something with a bit more speed. Would hate to get snagged between sets on anything close to overhead, not as resilient as I was ten years ago. Need to get my strength and stamina up before getting out after anything more challenging. Been working on improving the shoulders, need to make the switch to weekend warrior, and do more at home conditioning so I’m not wrecking myself when I do get out.

Looks like I head out to 'tasket this Saturday. This nor’easter (still coming down hard out there) is going to set my work deadlines back.

sing

@sing said:

@SeaDart said:

How long have we been here… 16, 17 years? There are still some of us lingering (limping) around. LOL! Better than the alternative. Just keep doing it (as best as one can)! :slight_smile:

sing

Amen Brother!

Will see if I can get down to Nantasket Saturday. Have a morning commitment, so would be an after noon session. Sometimes best on an incoming tide down there.
There’s a pretty good new taco place, where the old greasy spoon next to the laundromat used to be, but the parking is limited.

@Johnnysmoke said:

There’s a pretty good new taco place, where the old greasy spoon next to the laundromat used to be, but the parking is limited.

Hey, I liked Anastos’ Corner Cafe… (Ole) George and Sally were the 2nd generation owners. I really liked finishing a morning session at 'tasket there. I have not been in the new taco place (how good can tacos be in Hull, compared to downtown and/or east Boston?). Finishing at Corner Cafe is like finishing at Tides Restaurant after a weekend session at Long Beach, Lynn. Part of the attraction.

At the homebreak, there is no other attraction than the break itself.

sing

@string said:

Amen Brother!

Yes. Amen to you, another P-Net original.

Sorry about the greasy spoon, but I guess the times are a changing, and the tacos are pretty decent and the beers are cold.
There’s a good breakfast place down the street called Toast, south towards end of the beach.
Any chance Nahant will be good Friday morning?

@Johnnysmoke said:
Sorry about the greasy spoon, but I guess the times are a changing, and the tacos are pretty decent and the beers are cold.
There’s a good breakfast place down the street called Toast, south towards end of the beach.
Any chance Nahant will be good Friday morning?

Nahant is really not that much different than Nantasket. It’s a beach break that can be prone to closeouts. The “best” spot is usually in front of the new bathhouse, a quarter of mile down from Little Nahant entrance. For some reason, there is always a rip there which helps in getting out but also in creating more of a peel to the left or to the right, depending on swell direction. On bigger days, sometimes it’s best to stick right next to Little Nahant. The water stacks up and flows back out along there. One time, I went out along little Nahant with relative ease. Once past the tip (and protection) of the pennisula, I found myself in overhead plus.
Freaked me a bit as I was not expecting it. Another thing to be aware of – there are huge boulders along that shoreline that can be just under the surface, depending on the tide. You don’t want to get pushed and/or surfed into them. When surfing in along Little Nahant, always take the right hand ride.

sing

Thanks Sing!