Downwind race paddling death, Lake Michigan

I don’t follow paddle racing so don’t understand the differences in race organization but this brings to mind the Deception Pass race. However in that case, 80+ boats, numerous support boats on course. Conditions worsen, race is called, everyone safely back ashore in less than an hour. I assumed (and I guess horribly wrong) that all races are run similarly with the coordination and support of rescue and first responders.

1 Like

This is outside of my personal remit - by tons. So commenting on some of the choices like having the race or going out thru breaking waves etc is something that those more experienced than me best comment on. If the weight of legal liability stops this race the world has rendered judgement.

There is one thing that jumps out to me - the preparation for the “what if” scenarios. That is a universal part of preparing for any event, from Girl Scout cookouts to life-threatening challenges.

From what I have read above, the conditions were severe enough that there should also have been an expectation of multiple capsizes and a need for rescue. It does not seem that there was a way set up to get to those individuals quickly enough to assure they could prevent loss of life from the cold water/air. The Coast Guard once again did their best, but they were rescuing someone without an EPIRB or similar to get in front of the conditions making it difficult to spot them. Nor were there any boats in the water to track the event and call in or be able to at least throw a ring to someone who was in the water. And I will accept the wisdom of others that the wetsuit was not adequate to protect from multiple capsizes.

So could they have run this race, with existing preparations, on an easier day? Maybe that was an option, maybe the clearances they had to get were only good for that day. And apparently a lot of racers agreed that this was safe enough to try, especially if they stayed with the race beyond the dumps that were happening trying to get out from the beach.

What is lacking here is comments from participants that either decided it was a Go, or alternatively did not make that choice due to conditions or preparation. It would be useful.

2 Likes

For those unfamiliar,
This video of Sean Rice may shed some light. Sean is on a 21+ foot boat, which is no wider than 17 inches with no chines for stability at all.
Gopro tends to flatten conditions, but if you watch, you can still see that the waves dwarf the boat.
He’s quite far out from land and as far as I can tell, that’s not a pfd.
Now in fairness, the theory is that the best buoyancy aid is to remain tethered to your craft and he is a world champion with a great deal of experience.

1 Like

He’s wearing a Vaikobi V3 life jacket.

I don’ think so. I was a Vaikobi dealer and the V3 came out later. I don’t see any flotation in the back, and the V3 is solid, not mesh.

Hmm. Then what’s the blue thing he is wearing?

I have no idea. I wonder if it’s for visibility?

Not my kind of paddling, but why did the organizer not arrange for some sort of on-water support who could react faster to an incident. In swim supports there is always some sort of support whether it be USCG, other agencies, or private boat owners. If the conditions were too rough for on-water support, the race should have been postponed. It seems that no one was on standby for a quick response and the delay in this case might be the reason that this ended tragically…

3 Likes

If you use FB, here’s a video showing the conditions that day. Rescue boat heading out to Point Betsie.

Here is a shot of entrants entering the water, and conditions at the start…Nick is the one holding his boat with black hat and blue pfd

:moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

minimum solid 5-6’ waves may be bigger offshore.

1 Like

Yes this is what struck me when I first saw this. No safety plan, no rescue boats going with the racers. However I think he should have headed in when it was clear conditions were beyond his ability, but I was not there. Part of being an “expert” is knowing when to quit. Dead warriors when the enemy is just a paddling contest is nonsense.

2 Likes

Jet skis are routinely used for rescues in big wave surfing events at Nazare, Jaws, Mavericks ect. Initial wave heights range from 30 -90 ft + with the breaking foam piles much worse than 7 ft wind waves. They are also used routinely as rescue craft on the West Coast of the US by local life guards and also in the UK and France.

1 Like

Not much of a wetsuit for 45 degree water.

I’ve seen that before but they are a team and professionals chosen by each surfer not volunteers. Huge waves not a 6’+ rapid chop with amateurs.

Looks like there were others in wetsuits too though. Not saying I agree but also apparently a not uncommon choice.

Note that racers - on anything from sculls to kayaks - often dress more lightly than touring paddlers due to the expectation that they will get very hot and maybe overheat.
This dichotomy comes up a lot in incidents. Not just this one.

1 Like

Yes we do walk a fine line in that regard. The need for performance clothing that doesn’t contribute in and of itself to hypothermia on the water can often not be enough when you are in it. The general philosophy is that if you aren’t freezing at the start, you are overdressed. I would never advise or advocate that approach here tho so this is def not an endorsement

Curious what those of you who go out in rougher conditions think about the peer pressure/group think that can happen? Like “he’s going out he most think it’s safe enough” but he’s thinking the same about you when alone neither of you would go.

It’s something that’s discussed at length in the wilderness first-aid classes I’ve taken.

2 Likes

It happens, in conditions less threatening than these were but still enough to risk a newspaper story if things go south. My husband and I made that mistake - once - bowing to pressure from two others. We ended up OK but came too close to being a story.

Fast forward a few years and one of those individuals argued against my saying we needed to abort when we turned a corner in Maine and found winds that were way past rational. We turned around with my being accused of being a spoil sport.

NOAA had issued a software update to their participating stations Friday afternoon of July 4 weekend. It was buggy and managed to knock out the marine forecast for every station that uploaded it. So we did not have the speed over water on launch.

Back at the cabin we finally found one station that had caught the problem and reversed the update, a station that only one out of four VHF’s was powerful enough to get. Marine forecast said the winds I had been accused of overreacting to were 38 - 40 knots. The North Shore Paddlers Network had a gathering at Popham Beach that same weekend. I was told that only about half tried to leave the beach and the capsize rate among those who did was impressive.

We did do a bit of research when we got back to the Cove. Found out that everyone could do a balance brace easily if they had the hull facing into the wind.

2 Likes

I also wonder about the risks associated with organized/group paddles (peer pressure, unfamiliar route, unscouted route, unfamiliar paddling partners, unfamiliar leader). I think it’s natural to assume you’re a little safer when the reality is that you need to have your guard up more than usual since there are sneaky risks that can take you by surprise. I wonder if Nick would have been carrying a flare gun or other emergency signalling device had he been out alone.

1 Like