Dragging the boat

Can anyone tell me why 99% of the paddlers in northeast FL drag there boat so it’s half in water but still not floating? Then they proceed to get in the boat and expect you to push them out. It’s like they do not know how to enter and exit a boat. When they get back to the put in they do the same thing expecting someone to pull them on shore. I was trying to tell some paddler how to exit the boat but he did not want have any part of it. Either they are lazy or unskilled.

Just leave them if they are fit and able.

In that case I am glad I winter in south Florida
We take care of ourselves!

Don’t be quick to judge. 99% of Florida paddlers are quite probably over 60. They may be dealing with physical limitations that you are not aware of. May you (and I) stay forever young!

My only experience was seeing a young couple renting a kayak. The young lady insisted on getting into the kayak while on the beach so she wouldn’t get her feet wet… This was in Florida… :expressionless:

I guess I was taught early on. Once we were given a trailer load of kayaks to demo with the condition that the kayaks go from the trailer to the water and back without ever touching the ground .

OP…What are you talking about? Don’t be so emotional. Don’t generalize based upon a small unskilled portion of the kayaking population. I’m currently at the Hidden Coast Paddle Adventure. There are about 100 paddlers. I haven’t seen any of that this weekend. .or last week at the Suwannee River Poker Run. …or at any of our two kayak club events.

@Overstreet said:
OP…What are you talking about? Don’t be so emotional. Don’t generalize based upon a small unskilled portion of the kayaking population. I’m currently at the Hidden Coast Paddle Adventure. There are about 100 paddlers. I haven’t seen any of that this weekend. …or last week at the Suwannee River Poker Run. …or at any of our two kayak club events.

Of course maybe the people I kayak with are 1% 'ers.

I now reside in NE FL.
I guess I’m guilty, hmm.

In my early paddling days, living in MN, I paddled a Nordkapp.
Would always paddle well onto the beach (sand or cobblestone beach), drag the kayak on up the beach.
Those brit boats were (and still are) tough.
Yeah, the gelcoat didn’t fair so well.

Nowadays, I paddle (slightly, no, a lot lighter) carbon boats.
If little or no surf, I’ll exit the boat prior to the beach and carry the boat, and ‘gently’ put it down.

Though I live in NE FL, I don’t think it’s a NE FL thing.

@tjalmy said:
Don’t be quick to judge. 99% of Florida paddlers are quite probably over 60. They may be dealing with physical limitations that you are not aware of. May you (and I) stay forever young!

I’m over 60 myself with back and other issues. But I am self sufficient. These people are not in walkers or wheelchairs!

@PaddleDog52 said:
Just leave them if they are fit and able.

I concur! I don’t mind stabilizing a boat while someone exits, but don’t expect me to pull a 200 +lb person up the boat ramp. Not willing to injure myself for incompetent people.

I occasionally paddle with people who turn out to be quite picky about how wet they will get, while I am in dry wear standing knee deep to hop into or onto my boat. Onto if there are manageably small waves breaking near shore - easiest and dryest to go out backwards sitting just behind the cockpit. Then scoot into the cockpit and deal with the skirt etc when you aren’t getting kicked sideways.

But I pretty much always have dry wear at least on the bottom. So it is difficult for me to judge others here.

That said, I plan to get to the pool in February etc to get my roll solid again on both sides so I can bring out the Nordlow this coming spring. I have no idea whether I will have good enough balance to pull this off in that boat like I can in the Romany. I might be one of those paddlers who park a bit on shore with the Nordie. It has a good keel strip, and I may find I need to abuse it some.

:wink:

It’s been many, many years since I went for a paddle without getting at least my feet and legs wet.

Those people that insist on keeping their feet dry should get a canoe. They don’t guarantee dry feet but certainly make it easier in many cases.

@Sparky961 said:
It’s been many, many years since I went for a paddle without getting at least my feet and legs wet.

Those people that insist on keeping their feet dry should get a canoe. They don’t guarantee dry feet but certainly make it easier in many cases.

Not solos! We never bridge canoes solo or tandem.
Rule is it must float with you in it.

@shiraz627 said:

@tjalmy said:

I’m over 60 myself with back and other issues. But I am self sufficient. These people are not in walkers or wheelchairs!

I use a walking stick and sometimes a walker. I do not dragy boats on a hard surface.

@kayamedic said:
Not solos! We never bridge canoes solo or tandem.
Rule is it must float with you in it.

I’ll take your word for it. I should have been more specific to say that my experience relates to tandem canoes. Most of the time even at a shallow beach one person could get in from land and make their way to the other end while a second person holds the boat. With the counterbalanced weight, the second person can easily push off and jump in. All without getting wet… or on rare occasions of mis-coordination make for a great laugh and soggy shoes.

I prefer my kayaks and wet feet.

I believe with the right amount of instruction and lots of practice, almost anyone can enter and exit their kayaks in the water if the launch site offers the right kind of shore line. Picking up the boat and carrying it to your vehicle by yourself is probably not ever going to be possible for a lot of people.

I’m 75 and still carry my boats without help and enter and exit in the water. If I ever set the boat down, it is on grass, or soft sand. I will admit that carrying the boat loaded with my stuff sometimes gets me to thinking about a set of wheels, but so far, so good.

@magooch said:
I believe with the right amount of instruction and lots of practice, almost anyone can enter and exit their kayaks in the water if the launch site offers the right kind of shore line. Picking up the boat and carrying it to your vehicle by yourself is probably not ever going to be possible for a lot of people.

I’m 75 and still carry my boats without help and enter and exit in the water. If I ever set the boat down, it is on grass, or soft sand. I will admit that carrying the boat loaded with my stuff sometimes gets me to thinking about a set of wheels, but so far, so good.

You are very lucky.

I’d just say if they aren’t somewhat self sufficient you are doing a good thing helping the disabled. We used to stabilize the boat for an 82 year old with bad hips and a cane. Although unlike your paddle partners she required about two feet of water to get in and out.

If your friends expect you to be a guide and pull them in so they don’t get their feet wet maybe you need to get new paddle friends.

Age is not a factor. One day at the canoe club I was saying that my policy was that the young guy goes up the ladder. A little survey later, I was the “young” guy. I’m closer to 70 than 60.

I have two poly boats that have been knocked off the truck, slid down the road at 50 mph under the roof of my rv, and dragged over rocks, oysters and mud. They hold up rather well.

When recovering at Sisters Creek I often drag it over the mud , rocks etc at low tide. But it is a poly boat that cost me $250 used.

@shiraz627 said:
Can anyone tell me why 99% of the paddlers in northeast FL drag there boat so it’s half in water but still not floating? Then they proceed to get in the boat and expect you to push them out. It’s like they do not know how to enter and exit a boat. When they get back to the put in they do the same thing expecting someone to pull them on shore.

Guides often do that. Also we’ve had discussions about how unsolicited advice is usually ignored.

You are paddling with rookies. (no offense meant Rookie) Bet the boats don’t look like these……………….