Drip rings on spares

Recently I’ve been practicing to recover from a capsize with loss of paddle by grabbing half my spare paddle off the back deck and rolling up with it. I’ve discovered it is impossible to pull my spare out of the bungies one-handed with the drip rings on. If you have rings on your spare and keep it bungied to the deck, you might want to take them off if you expect to get the spare in your hands in hurry.

Why not replace the near bungies

– Last Updated: Sep-12-04 9:41 PM EST –

with a nylon strap and a fastex side release buckle.

It's your boat; modify it and make it work.

I'm working on this right now too.

That’s what I did…
…The nylon strap/fastex thing. It works some slick, the straps really hold the paddle tight to the deck, but just two quick squeezes and it’s free.

Always nice to be in your company
One day I’ll get back to Nova Scotia and buy you dinner after a fine paddle.

Good Practice

– Last Updated: Sep-13-04 5:00 AM EST –

doing that - capsizing, accessing and then rolling with half a paddle. I can't remember having trouble getting the half paddle out. If you do, then going without the drip rings is a good solution.

The straps and fastex buckles offer a very secure solution to keeping the paddles on deck. However, make sure this works for you in the worse conditions. Try capsizing, accessing the the buckle with gloves on, getting the paddle and rolling up. How will this compare to lifting the paddle to stretch the bungee, sticking the other hand underneath to hold the bungee up while sliding the paddle out with the other hand? Time and dexterity diminish significantly in cold water.

Another posssible solution is to use a greenland storm paddle. This stores well on the back deck and is pretty secure when held down by bungees near the ends. To access, I grab the paddle beyond the closer bungee, slide it down towards the stern to clear that bungee, and then to pull back towards me to clear the end bungee. Then I am good to go in a matter of seconds. The "push/pull" motion has to practiced to (as the other approaches) to make it an ingrained motion.

sing

Drip rings

– Last Updated: Sep-13-04 8:03 AM EST –

Remove them. I have taken them off all my paddles, they don't really accomplish much in my opinion, they just get in the way.
As for securing your paddle to the kayak for easy access check out the website of Jon Walpole, see how they attach their spare paddles. I use their method and it is quick and easy, and the paddles are secure whether in waves or practicing rolling.

You’re on!
We’ll have a big feed of Poutine and fiddleheads, or maybe a Jiggs’ dinner. C’mon up anytime, the paddling here is awesome if I do say so.

they’re called
waste elbows. you find ‘em at the plumbing supply house. You cut off the threads and they are sweet for holding the shafts. No scuffed iup decks and the paddles go in AND out w/o issue.

It REALLY helps to have a bungie arrangement like the Tempest, tho. :wink: To make it bomber. Somebody was thinkin’.

steve

Please give us the link to walpoles site
I did a search; came up with a lot of things, but I could not find the exact photo you mean.

Waste elbow?
How would that help? Can’t picture it.

Waste Elbows

– Last Updated: Sep-14-04 8:51 AM EST –

Its just plumbing piping. Two elbows and a couple of lengths of 1 1/4 inch ABS tube et voila. I stuck a couple of pieces of thin neoprene on the elbows where they contact the deck as well, just for the aesthetics, no scratches. I have been using this method since day one and it works great, but like Steve says, you have to have a kayak with the right deck rigging.
http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~walpole/kayaking.html
You can also go to www.shellback.net and see the same pictures.

Where?
I browsed through the photos at that site, and I see kayaks with paddles bungied to the back deck pretty much the same way I do it. Is the URL wrong? I’m still not picturing what you would do with a waste elbow (I’m a former hardware salesman—I know what they are).

Waste Elbow
where a good photo on Jon’s site is but… (anyone found one??)

waste elbows are pvc or abs plumbing pipe elbows about 12" long and 1.5" ID or so and ‘sleeve’ a paddleshaft quite nicely. If you cut off the elbow so it’s flush with the tube you have a nice capped (elbow)sleeve to hold your shaft. You put it under the bungies fwd of the hatch (cool thing about a Tempest is it’s rigged for this application) Since it’s an open tube the shaft can slide in and out without bungie pressure you’re G2G.

Another cool thing is w/o the paddles on deck they look like dual exhaust pipes coming out of your fwd compartment! The black ones are very cool. Whites, so/so unless you have matching white trim on your yak. One team member painted his!

savey?

steve

Found a pic thanks for the explanation
I got lucky and got a good picture.

http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~walpole/pics/kayak/brooksland/kayak.html