Dripping kayak paddles

When I am not wearing a spary skirt, to avoid paddle drips I have used two part “Never-Wet” (Rustoleum) and it worked well, but wore off in about a dozen times out. Has any one tried “Rain-X”, or have other suggestions ? With the “Never-Wet” the paddle come out of the water totally dry, but I am looking for something less expensive, easier to apply, and easier to find in stores.

Drip rings

I have drip rings, but I am a high angle paddler, and the drip rings drip into the boat.

I have a nylon skirt that leaks for the summer and a neopreme for all the other times. When its REALLY HOT in the summer I use a sponge to remove the excess water. The wet shorts from drips keep me cool…er. It is a wet sport.

@harry0244 said:
I have drip rings, but I am a high angle paddler, and the drip rings drip into the boat.

How is your forward stroke? Do you exit at the hip and do your hands stay in plane (and not drop)?

I too use a high angle but I don’t have much of a problem with drips into my kayak.

So the Never Wet actually works for a while? I have never heard of that idea, thank you for sharing. Even though it’s easy for me to manage the drops that come into my solo canoe when hit and switch paddling I’d still like to try this. I hope I remember in the Spring.

@kfbrady said:

@harry0244 said:

How is your forward stroke? Do you exit at the hip and do your hands stay in plane (and not drop)?

I too use a high angle but I don’t have much of a problem with drips into my kayak.

I usually only have the problem when I am paddling for speed. When I am doing over 6 mph, I typically have the paddle as high as 70°, and doing over 40 strokes per minute. These runs are about five minutes max, before I cannot maintain the pace. At 73 years old, I do not think I am doing badly.

I respectfully recommend avoiding the use of any chemical on your paddle or other gear that “wears off” so quickly. Where do you think it’s going? Straight into the water.

It has been said hundreds of times, but I say it again now: Kayaking is a wet sport.

Yup above. I have some legitimate issues with getting wet, more than most. So I spend money on clothing to take care of those areas. I don’t try to make kayaking other than a wet activity.

Ditto, we don’t need to be adding chemicals to the water to avoid the annoyance of drips!

@harry0244 said:
I usually only have the problem when I am paddling for speed. When I am doing over 6 mph, I typically have the paddle as high as 70°, and doing over 40 strokes per minute. These runs are about five minutes max, before I cannot maintain the pace. At 73 years old, I do not think I am doing badly.

Nice speed. What kayak are you paddling and what type of paddle? And why not wear your skirt to avoid the problem?

BTW, here’s the safety data sheet on that Neverwet product. https://www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/ENGLISH/274234.pdf
26% of the mixture consists of ingredients of unknown acute toxicity.

OK, good comments about skipping the chemicals.

@harry0244 said:

Not a criticism at all - I think you’re doing great and at 67 I’m not exactly a kid either - but maybe your form gets sloppy at max effort? Mine certainly does.

Both of you are doing better than I am at 69. SIXTY FREAKING NINE! I can’t believe that number.
You old people are an inspiration.

Except I’m getting the feeling to many of us 69 isn’t that old. I can feel it from here.

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of folks have their drip rings too close to the blade; move them up the shaft so they don’t dip in the water. Other than that, maybe lower your angle a bit. I don’t find anything about a high angle that is necessary to move right along. I try to keep my pushing hand no higher than about eye level and it drops considerably towards the end of the stroke.

The only time I get drips is while bow ruddering and that can be minimized by giving the paddle a quick shake before insertion.

Not that it matters, but I’m 74 1/2–been doing this for decades and I’m still learning.

I have a white beard and am still learning too. Ain’t it fun!

Glad your all that age. I’m the kid at 65.

1. Middle age right? Maybe the outer edge?