Dry Bag Storage?

Is there a “best” way to store my SeaLine dry bags in the dreaded off season?

I have actual rubber coated air mattresses that are over 20 years old and in perfect shape due to the fact that somewhere along the line I was told to dust them with talcum powder during storage and it does seem to help. Any tips that will keep my dry bags going?

Tom

Maybe
Wash with plain water, air dry, and store in a cool, dry place.

I don’t know if talc will help preserve the bags, but it may make it easier to cram gear inside them, come next spring. Like drysuits, the vinyl bags should not be stored in a room with petroleum products, such as a garage with lawn mowers, etc…

Here are some tips on seasonal maintenance of other kayaking gear:

http://www.aquadynology.com/Technical/maintenance1.html

Delphinus

Gee, I’ve been doing all the wrong
things for 30 years, and it hasn’t made any difference! But I guess it could.

I just hate it when…
…I have to replace something due to ignorance. If you had only done…it would have lasted forever. I think the talc may absorb moisture or something. If you have ever replaced an inner tube on a bike they seem to be dusted with what appears to be talc when you take them out of the package. Not sure if that would benefit the PVC dry bags though.

Tom

Bicycle tubes and talc

The talc is there so the rubber doesn’t stick to anything.

If you have sticky vinyl dry bags, a bit of talc might make sense.

Of course, sticky vinyl dry bags don’t work so well for kayaks because they stick together when placing them inside hatches. Coated nylon works better.

Vinyl - strong stuff
The only things that are a serious threat to vinyl’s longevity are UV exposure some fairly nasty chemicals and ozone.

Keep them away from those and they will last forever.