Dry suit quandry...

You forget the wetsuit (nm)

– Last Updated: Sep-28-09 8:28 PM EST –

Dry suit is "usually" more comfortable. But it's not the ONLY solution.

Wetsuits are not as comfortable for most people. But for the few who can't get used to it, wetsuit is actually a perfectly good alternative. It's just not as warm and not protective. Still usable for "extend the season"

latex gaskets
On a real drysuit with latex gaskets, the gaskets can be sized so that they keep water out but are not tight enough to be uncomfortable. My neck gasket is loose enough that I can slip my fingers under it yet it does not leak when I’m rolling or swimming.

If you can’t put up with anything around your neck you should probably stick to a full wetsuit (which is much more uncomfortable IMO).

Wetsuit

– Last Updated: Sep-29-09 2:17 PM EST –

"How about separate paddling jacket and pants used as the primary protection against cold water worn over a 2 or 3 mm farmer john wetsuit to handle any leakage? The jacket and pants would help cut the wind as well."

If you are in the water, the paddling jacket and pants will do basically nothing for you. You would be relying on the thin wetsuit.

If people never went into the water, a drysuit would be unnecessary.

===================

The classic neck seal is latex, which is tighter than other alternatives. Latex is the best way to keep water out.

"Semidry" typically means "no latex neck seal". Some of them work well to keep water out. They might not be as good as latex but they can be good enough. (Note that you will likely hate latex even more.)

It's possible that the neck is too small for you. If it isn't, you might actually get used to it. The first time will certainly feel strange and uncomfortable. You might really need to give it more time.

Thanks for all the responses!
I’ve decided to send this one back and try some other styles/brands of drysuits. The neck on this one is very long compared to the pictures of others I’ve seen on the internet; I think that I would have an easier time getting used to a shorter neck.

The kayakaccademy (thanks for the link!) has a used Kokatat that I believe will fit at a relatively good price, but I’m going to see if I can find something locally that I can try before buying (yes, if I try locally and it works for me, I’ll buy locally). The local outfitter where I bought my kayak carries Kokatat (and I get 10% off there), but I don’t know if they have any in stock. I’m going to check with them. Also, I sent an e-mail to an outfitter in a neighboring city (Get Outdoors in Greensboro, NC) and they said they’ll be getting some dry suits in stock in mid-October.

Long necks

It’s possible that the long neck is intended to be folded over (to the inside).

It sounds like you bought a really nice
suit from the website description. You not tolerating a tighter fit, nor a loose “turtleneck” fit is probably just an expression of a preference rather than a need. If you are able to get the neck seal over your head, you are probably getting pretty close to a decent fit. Stretch the seal with a liter pop bottle (will not prohibit a return) and see if you can get used to it. If you return the suit, consider a Stohlquist b-pod (more $). You can stay warm in a high quality wet suit. I beleive that I cannot stay comfortable in one. A two piece has the same neck issues and a dry top with a farmer john is not a cold water alternative. Keep wearing it and get used to it as long as it is not “too” tight. Bill

Folding neck…
I tried folding the neck to the outside, but it was still too long (and even tighter). Rolling it really didn’t work.

It didn’t occur to me to try folding it to the inside, but I think that would make it even tighter and more bothersome. No matter - I shipped it back yesterday afternoon.

If you hate wearing a tie and don’t like
things around your neck you can try what I did. When I bought my dry suit I could not even put it on without feeling claustrophobic. This may sound weird but what I did was start to wear it around the house. Started out with just wearing it but not putting it around my neck then just over the neck for a couple of minutes but not with my body in the suit just the neck… By the time I was done I could wear it all day and never take it off. While in Alaska it stayed on from the time we started paddling till camp was setup late in the day.

Definitely recommend Kayak Academy
I purchased my dry suit from George Gronseth (co-author of Deep Trouble) at Kayak Academy last year. It was one of his “used” suits, but actually had never been worn.

The service was as good as their pricing. George even asked for my neck size so he could trim the neck gasket for me before I got it.

Right from the get-go, this suit was perfect. I received it 3 days after ordering it and the fit was perfect-especially the neck.

I recommend George’s company 100%

Another one being send back…
Alerted by this thread, I promptly ordered the suit. But alas, it doesn’t fit me either!

It’s too BIG! I ordered the small, which is usually my size both length-wise and gird. But this one is too big on both count. And the neck, as expected, is quite loose. Much looser than my semi-dry jacket. I can imagine it will leak water in for the few second when I’m underwater setting up to roll.

And unlike my jacket, I can’t make the neck tighter with velcro. So, I have no choice but sending it back. Too bad. The rest of the suit seems pretty good, if only they come in extra-small.

Another option
Another option is a farmer john wet suit and the new NRS wet Jacket which adds another 2mm of Neoprene to your core and covers the arms and has stretch material under the armpits which allows for decent rotation. If you do swim in cold water and feel chilled getting back in your boat, it’s usually the evaporative cooling caused by the wind, not the water temp trapped in the wet suit. Keep a storm cag or oversized paddle jacket in your day hatch or deck and slip this on.