DRY SUITS-WHICH IS BEST?

Breathing fabrics

– Last Updated: Mar-04-08 9:26 AM EST –

I agree and I think a lot of people do as far as none of them breathe enough and most people do get sweaty in them. I think a big problem is the PFD that we wear snug so it doesn't ride up if we need it. That blocks a lot of chest area from breathing.

I don't care what suit or fabric you have, it's always a balancing act as far as how much you can wear for water protection yet not over-heating in a suit while doing an aerobic activity.

or you sweat less
It doesn’t matter what I wear when, and I’ve been dressing for outdoor activity for thirty years. I just sweat like a pig. But I see others having the same experience. Now, I can tell a difference between a breathable and nonbreathable but I’m not dry when I get out of either.

I only come out of my boat occasionally

– Last Updated: Mar-06-08 3:22 PM EST –

I worn it in full day rescue classes in all kinds of conditions. Only get a little seepage after more than 10 minutes in water, and I mean very little. For the trade in comfort, warmth, and flexability, it works for me.

WHICH DRY SUIT
Thank you for your posting. I will look into this suit.

DRY SUIT CHOICE
To all the paddlers that replied to my original question: Which is the best dry suit. I thank all of you. Here’s my conclusion:

It all comes down to finding a good suit that fits your needs and then look for the guarantee.

Kokatat appears to have the market. This is very tempting. I also see the value in finding a manufaturer that recognizes the “female” shape, etc. I do buy the argument of a “real company” and I will always buy US over foreign if the opportunity is there and the product is a good one.

As this is not my first suit, I want to get it completely right when I purchase the next one.

DRY SUITS- WHICH IS BEST
Thanks to all that answered my post. I found it all very helpful

After gathering all this information, I have a Kokatat coming.

Various responses…
First, Kokatat quality really is great. Their customer service is as well. I also like the fact that you can send your suit back to them for pressure leak testing (some pinhole leaks are unavoidable) and patch them…for next to nothing. I send mine back every year.

-Breathability: No “breathable” fabric will keep you from getting damp if you exert yourself to the point where you sweat. I won’t go into the reasons why, but breathable fabrics are not miracle fabrics and just can’t provide that level of performance. Nothing out there will right now…period.

-Breathing both ways: Absolutely not true. Waterproof breathable fabrics are 100% windproof.

-Event: Yes, this is supposed to be the absolutely most breathable of the waterproof breathable fabrics available right now; however, still have the limitations listed above.

I would love an Event drysuit, but will wait until Kokatat comes out with one! I have had some NRS garments and they fell apart on me. Definitely NOT the same quality as Kokatat.

Matt

Dry Suit Choice
Yahoo!

My Kokatat suit is in the mail. Purchased it from Barb. You are right, they are very helpful.

wow, that’s the opposite experience…
that I’ve had. Sure I have had NRS gloves and booties fall apart on me after a couple hard seasons of use, but the drytops that I have had of theirs are some of the most rugged I’ve ever had and I have used gear from Kokatat, PeakUK, Bomber Gear, Stolquist, and others. Kokatat is a great company but NRS has me as a customer for life after all the great service they’ve shown me.

My eVent fabric NRS Mission drysuit arrives tomorrow and the local whitewater rivers are starting to melt so sometime next week I should get to try it out. :slight_smile:

thanks for clarifying that
Good words of wisdom and reality bowler.

Unusual body shapes?!?
NativeVTr wrote:

Those of us who may have waved bye-bye to sizes “medium” or “regular” a long time ago, with maybe a wider chest/shoulders than waist or other size differences (or at least ME) may be SOL.

Absolutely not true. Kokatat will custom make your drysuit for you if you don’t fit in the “normal” sizing range. I had my suit custom made – it took a few weeks and it cost a few extra bucks, but it fits like a glove and I’m very, very pleased with it.

I like my Kokatat GMER drysuit – and the relief zipper alone is worth nearly half the cost.

Dan

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com

eVent
I was lucky enough to get an Integral Designs Thru Hiker jacket shortly after they first came out. It does work extremely well and at a price less than half of Goretex XCR. It’s doing fine after almost 2 years, but even so, it only has to last 1/2 as long as Goretex to save $$$…

The eVent would need to be laminated to a more robust fabric for immersion gear, where weight is much less important, and abrasion and puncture resisance assume the premium concern.

Mike