dry tops and bottoms

Was wondering if anyone has had any luck or use. Extrasport X-Pel H2O Splash Top - Waterproof, Long Sleeve (For Men.I won’t to use the bottom and top for when i’m in my canoe going down the river.For use as a rain jacket and to stay dry.Seirra has a real good deal on them right now for like 60 bucks.

Just don’t use a pants arrangement
that will fill with water and drown you if you take a swim. Water getting in at the waist has to be able to escape readily from the ankle cuffs.

myth
I swam many times in full fishing waders. Water in waders is not heavier than water in water. :slight_smile:

water in the pants ?
Just wondering how will water get in them if they have neoprene around the waist?http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/1945X,01,_Extrasport-X-Treme-Splash-Pants-Waterproof-For-Men.html

you’ll get a little water in them
During a swim you’ll get some water in the pants. Enough to make you uncomfortable if you’re not wearing something like polypropylene underwear.

Drytop/pants combos are decent for small creeks, where you’re hopefully back out of the water in like 30 seconds or less. It’s what I use. I don’t mind it much. But I do plan to get wet(ish) if I swim and plan accordingly.

It does
Without going scientific, a dry top and bottom are likely OK for canoeing but not good for kayaking on the ocean.

They flood and become WORSE than useless. The assumption is made you are dry and OK so the rescuer can be faked out and not deal with this as a pressing emergency.

We had to use Coast Guard to evacuate a casualty with a dry top and dry bottom and the water seeps in quickly around that Neoprene that is over polypro or wool… Or cotton.

Anyway it may be comfortable on a river or pond but if you have a long crossing in cold water just use a wet suit if you have nothing better.

Alex

??? My 2-piece stays dry
are we talking splash-wear or true dry-tops & bottoms with rubber gaskets & roll-together aprons? I’ve used a bib-drytop combo for 8 years in whitewater and ocean paddling, have swum many times in both and if you do the roll right and clamp it down under a neoprene sprayskirt tunnel, it stays dry. At least it does for me - most recently body-surfing during a coastal/open water instructor training last month.

Paddling/splash gear is a different story and I agree that it is not safe anywhere you may be immersed longer than 30 seconds, if that long.

Not a dry suit
This is not a dry suit like yours. A 2 peice dry suit is a dry suit, What this is about is a light spray jacket and dry pants.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=1945T&cm_mmc=Affiliate--LinkShare--domain_UNKNOWN--bfebyuN173M&siteID=bfebyuN173M-bQUOS_ksGm5SUgu7ixsQXA&utm_source=domain_UNKNOWN&utm_medium=Affiliate_LinkShare&utm_campaign=AL9&plp=LinkShare+domain_UNKNOWN+Extrasport_X-Pel_H2O_Splash_Top-_Waterproof_Long_Sleeve_For_Men&codesProcessed=true

Sorry for the size of that link.

It is the thing that tucked into a spray deck tunnel will tell everyone there that you have a dry suit but when the flailing for a boat, the paddle and the stretches you have to do for a re-entry will blast open this outfit filling it with water. Add 4 foot waves and COLD (5 C) water and you have a situation. No take outs for 300 M and the rescue takes on an urgency. Once you get ashore and find your friend made an error and has a “wardrobe failure” It’s time for the emergency blanket, my big thick H/H polypro tucked in the hatch for just such an event and a fire. We still could not stabalize things enough to transport our friend safely so Coast Guard dispatched an auxiliary boat to get him off the beach.

If he were wearing a wet suit we would have known there was an issue, as it was we thought we had time.

I can think of two deaths here and a near call because of dry suit / survival suit failures. To hit our water in less than a dry suit is gutsy, to have that look like a dry suit and not be one can be very dangerous. The casualties if anyone wants to check were near Bonavista Bay and Off the Avalon Peninsula’s east coast, The close call was for one out of 17 people in a chopper, the only survivor had a suit that failed.

He almost died.

But what happens…
…when you try to get out of the water?

It’s fine
If you are canoeing a river and want to stay dry from the rain and splashes, it will be fine.

If you fall in the water, they will leak. In that event… stand up and walk out of the river.