drysuit input

I’m finally going to take the plunge and buy a drysuit. For quality and long term investment, Kokatat and Gore Tex are the way to go, right? I want the skirt tunnel and the hood features, so I’m looking at either the Expedition (traditional front zip) or the Radius (new design with full circle zip at the waistline and full separation between the pants and independently functional dry top). A bit more money, but any reason not to go with the latest and greatest?

I purchased a Kokatat Radius last year from Marshall at The River Connection. I think it’s a wonderful drysuit and worth every penny because of its versatility and quality. I wore the top on a windy, chilly July day - great windbreaker. Use the bottoms as waders on occasion. Having tried the Expedition for a week, no contest between the two. If the Kokatat two-piece design wasn’t available, I’d stick with a wetsuit.

What I love most is the ease of getting it on: like a pair of jeans and turtleneck. Once you get the hang of aligning the zipper at the start, it’s quite easy. Also like the pocket in each sleeve, pocket in the pants, the high collar and the nifty ninja hood.

Great choice. Get a tube of ZipTech to lube the zipper.

I currently have a Kokatat Expedition, purchased in 2012. That was a little prior to the release of the Radius. I have no complaints on my Expedition. It is very similar to the Meridian I used for the prior 9 years (2003-2011), but has the hood, reflective tape and shoulder pockets.

If I were to purchase a dry suit today it would be a Kokatat Radius. It offers more versatility and ease of entry with the full waist zipper. Seriously, it doesn’t cost that much more than the Expedition.

I agreed with Rookie: Marshall at The River Connection is the one to talk to and get yourself some zipper lube.

FWIW, I’ve never found traditional chest zipper dry suits to be difficult to get into or out of once you get used to them. The keys are to keep the zipper lubed and to powder the seals with unscented talc so they slip over your head and wrists easily (I use an automotive product called “Tire Talc”, which is available online). Trimming the seals so they fit properly is also important; if they’re too tight, they’re difficult to get on, uncomfortable and can reduce blood circulation (don’t anyone lecture me about stretching, I know from extensive personal experience that it’s a waste of time if the seals are significantly too tight).

I haven’t used the Radius, so perhaps it would change my mind about the zipper configuration, but the bottom line is that a Gore-Tex Kokatat dry suit is a great piece of gear, regardless of which one you choose.

My Expedition with the hood is great. Not sure I would want the radius but never tried one. Quality suit worth every penny and I take care of it well. Mine is 7 years old or more and looks like new. I use it up to 65* water temps no matter what the air temp. yes as stated above trim the seals to fit it it easy. Just go slow you can always cut another ring. 303 seals monthly to much will make them soft. Polartec liner is great too. All their stuff I have is great! McNett is zipper cleaner & lube I use.

From a purely feminine point of view, the two-piece Radius is much more comfortable than the Expedition in my boat as there’s none of that rear-zipper nonsense. And when nature calls, it’s about the same as unzipping my Levis. As for layering, I can’t say enough good things about Mysterioso M-Tech.

I’m afraid I’m going to be the “Debby Downer” on the Kokatat switch zip. I bought the Surge paddling suit, the semi-dry version of the Radius. I didn’t like the switch zip and two piece system. What I didn’t like was having an inside shock cord and toggle waist, bulky zipper at the waist, and a third outside shock cord and toggle at the waist. I’m a full figured gal who already has plenty of “stuff” going on at my waist and hips. The Surge just didn’t work for me. I went back to the Kokatat Super Nova with the butt zipper. The butt zip is a lot more flexible and lower profile now than the old Super Nova suit I had many years ago. It’s not too bad to deal with, and I can actually get in & out of the chest zipper faster than I could negotiate the Switch Zip. Now, if Kokatat just made their Super Nova paddling suit in Gore Tex for women, like they do for men, I be even happier.

RG,

Kokatat does make that Goretex suit. Keep in mind, it’s a Drysuit not a Paddling suit so it has a latex neck gasket for a comprehensive seal.

Front Entry Drysuit
https://kokatat.com/product/gore-tex-front-entry-dry-suit-with-drop-seat-dswgfed

Personally I prefer the tailoring of the Drytop portion of the Radius compared to the front entry style as fabric bulk through the torso is minimized. Ducking your head under the entry zipper requires the chest pattern to be larger than a pull over design. Same with the rear entry Icon but those are a different game of Twister.

Going to use my Radius today to do a bit of kayak paddle sailing before the weather goes cold again.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Marshall, how is the icon? I had a Palm expedition suit with a similar zipper, and found it more comfortable to wear, there wasn’t a big crease of fabric and zipper running down the front of the suit. Sometimes a little tricky to get zipped all the way through. The Palm suits were very nicely designed and constructed, but they had a run of poor materials that delaminated, otherwise I think it was a really comfortable piece of gear. When Palm pulled out of the US I sold mine towards a Kokatat expedition, which is nice, but as you mentioned kind of bulky. I seldom wear it in the surf kayak anymore, switched to surf wetsuits which don’t drag as much paddling in the surf zone, but suck to change out of later.
But that icon looks pretty sweet, a little sleeker than the typical Kokatat design? Maybe with a detachable hood could be the best of both worlds? Although I guess the Radius is the game changer.

If you’re good on the back zipper then the Icon is right up your alley. I don’t think that the Icon was ever thought to have a hood. I don’t see it on the Customizer.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile

@Marshall said:
Tag,

Kokatat does make that Goretex suit. Keep in mind, it’s a Drysuit not a Paddling suit so it has a latex neck gasket for a comprehensive seal.

Front Entry Drysuit
https://kokatat.com/product/gore-tex-front-entry-dry-suit-with-drop-seat-dswgfed

Personally I prefer the tailoring of the Drytop portion of the Radius compared to the front entry style as fabric bulk through the torso is minimized. Ducking your head under the entry zipper requires the chest pattern to be larger than a pull over design. Same with the rear entry Icon but those are a different game of Twister.

Going to use my Radius today to do a bit of kayak paddle sailing before the weather goes cold again.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile

Kokatat just added a Gore Tex Super Nova Paddling suit.
https://kokatat.com/product/supernova-angler-dsugsa

But it’s only available for men, not women. I asked them if they would alter the men’s suit to make the arms & legs shorter, and they said no. They also offer the same paddling suit in their Hydrus fabric, but again, not for women. They only offer it in Tropos fabric for women. Bummer. But I’m happy enough with my Super Nova in Tropos. I really wanted to love the Surge and the switch zip, but t was way too many layers & bulk for me. I’ll learn to maneuver the the butt zipper just like I would have learned the switch zip. It looks like the dry suits with the switch zip & skirt tunnel are less bulky.

RG
yes, that’s why I was pointing out the GFER model as that would be the closest in GTX that you liked and that’s tailorable.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile

Sure there is a reason not to go with the latest and greatest… It is called cost per use.
If you use your drysuit 10 times a season one with less bells and whistles is better at cost per use. Mythic Gear is designed for that sort of paddler. These drysuits will keep you dry but are not designed for 365 days a year use.
I’d rather spend $300 than $1200 for occasional use.

Great points. Thanks to everyone.

I used my Super Nova semi-dry paddling suit for a 5 day trip in Stillwater Canyon, Green River, through Canyonlands Nat. Park in Utah last week. Temps were upper 50s - mid 60s most of the trip. water temp was 53 degrees. I’m so glad I go the suit. It was perfect for this trip. I was warm & cozy without being hot. One of my trip mates also whitewater kayaks and she was wearing her Icon dry suit. After a few days, she had a nice red rash from the latex neck gasket. I was happy to have my neoprene neck. I managed to negotiate the butt zipper ok for pee breaks. It was a bit of a struggle, but not as bad as I had expected.

@Raftergirl
Suggest to your friend with the neck rash that she use a Buff under the neck gasket for future long trips. The Buff material is thin and quite protective. I use one in the summer to keep my neck from getting sunburned.

Thanks. I’ll tell her that. Our last two days on the trip were in the 70s, so she wore the Icon pants & a paddle jacket. No leakage or wicking issues with a buff?

I think if you capsize you’ll get some leakage - until you pull the Buff up and out - but general splash doesn’t affect it. BTW, your new kayak looks fantastic. Love the color and it seems like it can easily carry all you need and then some. So glad you’re enjoying it!

I love my new Eddyline Caribbean. I carried 5 days of gear, food, and all my drinking water. I even had room to bring my ukulele. It was nice to have the rudder when we had a headwind. The weather forecast before the trip was all over the map and I debated about bringing the dry suit. My friend & I were very happy that we decided to bring our suits. I was very comfy and never felt hot.