Drysuit socks

I’ve had a Stohlquist Bpod drysuit for about 2 years now. It’s very comfortable and it does a great job of helping me extending my paddle season in the eastern United States. I’m currently looking for a good pair of socks to wear under the drysuit.

I came across this particular drysuit sock on the web.

http://www.fourthelement.com/northamerica/dry_xerotherm_socks.php

Has anyone had any experience with this particular brand or any other brands that have worked well?

Thanks in advance.

I think you’ll save by using wool or
polypropelene. Thing about wicking fabrics is that they work best where there is somewhere to which moisture can be wicked. Shoes, wet suit boots, drysuit booties, even if goretex like mine, are going to interfere with the final escape of moisture.

Polypropelene does not aborb moisture into the fibers, and has no affinity for water. Coated fabrics, or those with fibers designed to wick, have a tendency to acquire a coating of water molecules. If “outside” is dryer than “inside,” then those water molecules will march outward and evaporate. But otherwise, wicking fabrics will get to feeling wetter than wool, much wetter than polypropelene.

Yep
Just a nice pair of thick wool socks is the trick.

also using antiperspirant can help
I borrowed a tip I learned for hiking and use some antiperspirant on my feet. That sweat doesn’t help since it can’t easily evaporate so may as well just stop most of it. Then I use some thin wool socks and I’m good for the day.

Drysuit socks
I’m a winter SCUBA diver and kayaker, using a different drysuit for each. Any heavy socks, similar to what you would wear with hiking boots, will work fine.

Wool
Good quality wool socks will work fine. I use Wigwam most of the time.

Gary

Smartwool and Bridgedale Brands

– Last Updated: Dec-07-10 7:21 PM EST –

Smartwool
http://bit.ly/WoolWorks

Bridgedale work nice
http://www.bridgedale.com/sock%20info/technology/

2 layers
base is a thin wicking poly pro layer, then a heavier sock - either fleece or wool/smartwool.

Wool
Doesn’t get stinky like other materials, and it holds heat well even when damp.

Downside is moths, so I don’t bring wool socks where there might be moths during the cold season.

How about fleece?
I’ve been using fleece socks in my drysuit and they seem to work for me. But I don’t have as much experience as others on this website. Any drawbacks I don’t know about/haven’t noticed yet?

For me…
I like fleece for its ability to wick on upper layers. But for the feet, where things can get damp especially since drysuit booties are vulnerable to developing small leaks, I prefer wool. As above, wool is still warm when wet.

Main drawback
Fleece garments don’t last as long as wool ones.

I’ve worn both fleece and wool, soaking wet, and either one provides some warmth when wet. The wool doesn’t smash down as much, though–which may help it keep a thicker layer of insulation on you. It is springier than fleece.

Someone I know once posited that wool feels warmer partly because the fibers are so scaly, thus stimulating blood flow in the skin. In other words, scratchy might be good when wet!