Drysuit Weather - might be...

I had my drysuit on yesterday for a run on Little Suncook in Epsom, NH. The river starts off with a tricky class III+ rapid that I skipped, but the rest of the river is a fun class II/II+. Creek-like with lots of twists and turns. Our group had 4 swims and 1 pinned boat, but not me. I stayed upright. :slight_smile:

Boaters coming down the upper section

Pictures and a couple of videos here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/albums/72157702469838184

Looks like a hoot! I am thinking of pulling my Innazone out next spring to see if I have not expanded too much to fit in it for a class on the Deerfield. This has me thinking more of it. But yeah, at current water temps with a dry suit.

i wish i had taken mine on the Current River
Cold swim
And thats in Missouri

Water temp’s are not too bad yet - wetsuit would’ve been fine, but the drysuit is easier, and doesn’t smell as bad. :wink:

It’s been snowing in SW Ontario, Canada. Definitely drysuit weather here, though I’ve been unable to paddle for a while now due to house renovations taking up my time. Freeze-up will probably be shortly after Christmas, though with the early prolonged cold it could be sooner this year.

Last year was a weird year around here - froze-up in mid-December with frigid cold (early for us), iced-out in mid-January with rain and mild temp’s, and rivers were open for the rest of the winter (unbelievable for us). In February there were still huge ice blocks along the banks, but the rivers were open.

Ice blocks

Last winter I paddled the last two weekends in January and all four weekends in February. I’d be OK if the same thing happened this winter.

My swim yesterday was just fine without a drysuit. :smiley: Won’t be long now though.

Water was 90 degrees last Thursday. Cold front coming through supposed to be chilly next week. Air won’t get out of the 70s. We’ll see. Make plans to come on down to Florida this winter. We never freeze over. Most paddlers round here haven’t seen their dry suits since they went into the closet.

well I would but my vacay area got blown away
When we do come we will bring tooks rather than paddles
Seems rude to tourist while so much needs to be done
I promise to leave money for rebuilding the economy

a little

Looks like fun! Im now up to a 4/3 wetsuit in mid-Cal and wont need much more than that. Im looking to the first winter of my life where snow is optional (via a drive to the mountains)! Though I just got my Kokatat drysuit replaced for delamination before I left MA and need to find a use for it. I think I’ll intentionally go out on the ‘coldest’ day of the winter here (like 40 degrees) and blow peoples minds. People already have mid-weight jackets on for 57* weather. its funny,

Once the air gets into the low 50’s I think the drysuit will be more comfortable anyways, so will probably switch over in a month or 2 as December approaches. Much nicer to be dry-ish after the paddle and in the wind than in any thickness wetsuit!

Water temps below 62 I go dry

@MCImes said:
Looks like fun! Im now up to a 4/3 wetsuit in mid-Cal and wont need much more than that. Im looking to the first winter of my life where snow is optional (via a drive to the mountains)! Though I just got my Kokatat drysuit replaced for delamination before I left MA and need to find a use for it. I think I’ll intentionally go out on the ‘coldest’ day of the winter here (like 40 degrees) and blow peoples minds. People already have mid-weight jackets on for 57* weather. its funny,

Once the air gets into the low 50’s I think the drysuit will be more comfortable anyways, so will probably switch over in a month or 2 as December approaches. Much nicer to be dry-ish after the paddle and in the wind than in any thickness wetsuit!

When I went to my first Santa Cruz surf kayak festival (I think it was early March), the water temps were around 50 degrees. Coming from NE waters at sub-40 degrees, the water and air felt so warm to me. I wore a 3/2 with a drytop and felt plenty warm (actually almost hot), given the airtemps of upper 60s - lower 70s.

My two drysuits have been sitting in plastic bin for the past ten years or more. I still fit them but don’t find them appropriate for the type of paddling venue I enjoy.

sing

@PaddleDog52 said:
Water temps below 62 I go dry

Just checked the water temps around here - rivers are in the low 50’s. Ocean is in the low 60’s (not that I ever go in the ocean). I guess its time the drysuit.

You Know the Water’s Cold When Those Cello Lines Unfold

Drysuit? Wetsuit? I posed my query,
to Great White off my stern.
He opened mouth wherein lay answer,
many points thought’s fabric must discern.

Perhaps something in a thermo-regulating, electro-shock inducing chain maille? And crushproof pfd, too!

Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, I need you!

There has to me a Monty Python skit somewhere in all of that…

@Sparky961 said:
There has to be a Monty Python skit somewhere in all of that…

:smiley:

@Sparky961 said:

Three, sir!

@canoeswithduckheads said:

@Sparky961 said:

Three, sir!

What’s even better is that I didn’t know the reference until I looked it up this morning.