Dual closure dry bags, any recommendations?

I went on a kayak camping trip to Nova Scotia’s east cost, the old Nordkapp I bought for the trip had pretty leaky hatches. The only dry bag to not get water in it was my NRS Hydrolock bag since it has a ziplock style closure in addition to rolling the end. Thankfully that was the bag I decided to use for my sleeping bag. However the clear window of the bag is starting to wear from abrasion. I have looked for other bags with this dual closure but have not found any from a reputable brand other than the one I have. I need advice as to which bag I should get next.
I tried Sea to Summit lightweight, big river, and hydraulic bags. The hydraulic bag had an awful seal while the other two were decent but I wouldn’t trust them with a sleeping bag. Someone recommended I get the Seal Line Baja but I know its closure isn’t perfect either. Any recommendations?

TLDR: I need a recommendation for a super dry, dry bag.

…not certain about double closure - but I have several of Watershed’s products. Not once has a drop of water found it’s way inside any of them. Not even when canoe or kayak was swamped.
One is a kayak deck bag, others are duffels.

https://www.drybags.com/

1 Like

Outdoor Research used to make what they called a “double dry window dry bag” which had two roll top closures at the top of a single bag, one inside of the other. They were quite effective but have been out of production for years.

If you want a dry duffel or pack that you can rely upon to be absolutely dry I too would recommend Watershed.

Watershed makes bags for military use and to military specs.

I have used the Sea to Summit strapped to the outside of a motorcycle during multiple all day rains. My sleeping bag stayed dry. Just don’t over pack it.

I have a watershed bag that I keep my wallet and electronic keys, and other things in when kayaking. Heavy duty, never leaks, and it is constructed and designed so it is easy to see if the ziplock is fully seated. Highly recommended, but it is expensive and does not conform to odd spaces as well as thinner, less sturdy bags will.

Of course, you can always double bag things to be sure they will stay dry. Just get a suitably sized garbage bag or the like, and put it in first, then add the stuff you are protecting, then twist the garbage bag opening and tie it closed, then close the dry bag. Extra work, but the thin, relatively fragile inner bag is protected by the dry bag, so if you seal that well, then you should be good.

1 Like

If you have many roll top dry bags in decent shape and none are working, I would step back and see if perhaps the way I am using the roll top isn’t correct. A properly sealed roll top dry bag should require being submerged for a while before water should be able to get in. Shouldn’t be letting water in even with a leaky hatch, which presumably means letting a few cups or quarts of water in.

3 Likes

I too found myself wondering if these leaking bags are closed correctly. I’ve been using dry bags for years with no leaks, although I haven’t intentionally tested them and have had a boat with hatches for the last few years.

When you start the roll, let most of the air out of the bag but not all - you want to end up with positive pressure in the bag to hold the closure taut, so at the end of rolling it should puff out like a pillow. Make sure no clothing gets into the roll.

Then, especially at the start of rolling, pull the bag material taut side-to-side to make sure there are no folds or wrinkles in the fabric or plastic as you roll, because a wrinkle creates a small gap that water can follow. Once you start rolling a wrinkle it will continue all the way and water can follow it into the bag.

1 Like

I’ve had most of the dry bags work properly in my hatch, the problem is when they are strapped to the back deck of my boat since my sleeping bag cannot fit inside the hatch. The only one I’ve had stay dry even when I’m rolling and flipping over is the nrs. However the issue can also be solved with trash bags but I feel like there should be a better solution.

If it were me, I would go with a Watershed dry bag for that specific use.

@EricHawk any chance we could get close(r) up photos of the dry bags filled and closed, especially the leaking ones?

Kevburg has described well the correct way to seal a roll top dry bag. But even is sealed in this fashion, I would not consider any roll top bag to be completely waterproof.

Floating around in a bit of water that has leaked through a hatch into a kayak compartment or splashed into an open boat is not much of a challenge for a roll top bag. Most will stay dry under those circumstances.

The problem comes when a bag is completely immersed for any length of time especially in any current, in a scenario such as EricHawk describes. Under these circumstances I expect any roll top dry bag to take in at least some water, and sometimes a lot, even if closed correctly.

Sea to Summit has double sealing roll top cases for phones and other electronic gear that works fairly well with touch screens, at least with a Garmin Montana 700 GPS.

1 Like

I concur with the Watershed Bag recommendation. It has performed for me several times being totally submerged for an extended time. Steve

1 Like

Have you considered new hatch covers?

1 Like

I like this one, very handy,fits well inside hatch and absolute water tight. POG Waterproof Dry Bag - Backpack - With Front Zip Pocket - Quality Heavy Duty - Padded Shoulder Strap & Mesh Side Pocket https://a.co/d/g2m93AU