Dumb and Dumber

@DrowningDave said:
Do you really think that’s funny?
Dude, I would have thought the monkey got the humor…

He’s not a monkey, he’s an ape. :slight_smile:

We already know he has no sense of humor.

I can’t resist…JUST KIDDING!

That’s actually pretty funny.

Will a bullet go through
through my Kevlar kayak?

Who kayaks and carries?

I carry water, food, and sunscreen.

I don’t. It’s a widely known fact that criminals can’t swim.

@PaddleDog52 said:
Will a bullet go through
through my Kevlar kayak?

Who kayaks and carries?

Or: Who kayaks and cares?

When I kayak - or trade kayak equipment - I know I don’t care at all about the risk of meeting a gun or the risk of not having a gun.

When I kayak, my concerns are mostly food, water, clothing, weather, safety equipment and skills. Guns do not fall into any of those 6 categories (unless I was kayaking at Greenland and needed a gun for polar bear defense).

@DrowningDave said:
Do you really think that’s funny?

I am not sure he was trying to be funny. His concern is actually very serious:

When you do a trade, the risk of being killed by an idiot with a gun is probably a lot higher than the risk of being killed by a criminal.

Consequently, it would be nice to have a way of avoiding any trades with idiots with guns.

With all the sales on Craigslist I think scam percentage is small. Few basic rules could apply to keep you saver even without a gun.

@PaddleDog52 said:
Will a bullet go through
through my Kevlar kayak?

Who kayaks and carries?
You need one of these:

@Allan Olesen said:

“When you do a trade, the risk of being killed by an idiot with a gun is probably a lot higher than the risk of being killed by a criminal.”

Please tell me you’re joking. No one could possibly be that ignorant.

How do I consign this thread to the ether?

@DrowningDave said:

Please tell me you’re joking. No one could possibly be that ignorant.
Oh yes, Some people are ignorant enough to carry guns to a trade. Just look at the statements in this thread.

@string said:

That’s a great question @string , Paddling.com should allow the original poster some control when threads get off topic or controversial, like the ability to end it. The only tool you have is to edit your original post or the heading. Try adding ‘PLEASE NO MORE GUN CONTROL POSTS’ to your heading.

Typical liberalism. Shut down the conversation when someone disagrees with you.
How about this, don’t post Craigslist questions on a kayaking site?

You introduced your gun fantasy to a perfectly legitimate comment about selling a KAYAK.

If you’re ever bored on a rainy day, do a Google search on “scamming the scammers” and there are some hilarious descriptions of long scams that people have inflicted on the scammer who try to bilk the innocent. Most are from the “Nigerian Prince with millions of dollars” category but there are also the Craigslist scammers and the Russian mail-order bride ilk.

I screwed around one scammer some years ago who sent a notice that he would have his “agent” pick up the “item” with a cashier’s check that I would have to cash and give some to him. When I asked if he meant the boat that I was selling, he replied “yes, yes, your boat, I will send the agent to buy your boat.” I told him I would send photos so he could see how big of a truck he would need to haul the “boat” away. I found a photo online of a rusty ancient fishing trawler in dry dock and sent it to him and he was still undeterred. Then I told him his agent would need to bring a rifle because I was pretty sure that there was a family of rabid raccoons living in the cabin of the boat and he would need to shoot them. “no problem, no problem” says Mr. Scammer. I also mentioned that his “agent” should only come during the day because if he came in the evening my husband would be home and he had a temper and would think the agent was my secret lover and try to kill him. Again “that will not be a problem, I will send my agent.” Finally, I told him that he would need to be careful trying to take the boat across state lines because it used to be used for hauling illegal drugs and the FBI might be suspicious – at that point the guy bailed on me. But the “transaction” kept me entertained at work for a day or two.

I heard of somebody else doing as I did when a scammer contacted him about a Craigslist ad, who went a step farther – the seller claimed to be female and started flirting with the scammer, sending a cribbed photo of a sexy, semi-nude woman (saying that was “herself”) and eventually convincing the scammer to forward a dick pic, which “she” then told him was disappointingly small and that “she” could never sell “her” boat to a man that lacking in equipment. End of the “deal”.

A friend of mine kept a “Russian bride” on the hook for several weeks, insisting that he had sent her the money and airline tickets that “she” requested for them to pursue their “true love”. There used to be (may still be) a site where you can enter and search photos that these fake “lonely heart” sites send out to see where they are used on other such scam-bait. My friend had done that and then “accused” his new “girlfriend” (who called herself “Masha”) of cheating with other men on other sites using other names, sending “her” copies of the sites (we knew that “Masha” was most likely a middle-aged guy in a basement in Romania). "Masha"s love letters to him were hilarious since they had obviously been run through a crude Russian to English translator program that really botched the vocabulary. One of the funnier goofs was that she kept calling him “my couch”. I figured out that the words for “couch” and “darling” were very similar in Russian if you had a one letter typo.

Like I said, the longer you can tie them up, the less time they have for actually scamming the vulnerable. And one can only hope they get aggravated enough to find another profession if enough people do it. They deserve to get punked.

@castoff said:

@string said:

Click on the little gear icon in the top right hand corner of your first post that started this thread. then click on delete.

You must have a different version of Paddling.com than me, @castoff . I can delete a comment I made to a post, but not a post I started, just edit it.