Dumoine River, Quebec

I hoping to find a guide book or better yet a paddler with experience on the Dumoine available for some discussion on the characteristics of this river. I’ve not had any luck finding mapping software for the region either.

I’d like to plan a canoe trip for next season and gathering info has thus far been limited to what I can find on the internet. It sounds like a very scenic, remote Class II+ or III river with a few solid IV’s for good measure.

Any feedback would be very helpful.

plenty of guide books
for this river. Its not really remote but has that wilderness feel. Part of that is because most people fly in.

Try these on amazon.com

A Paddler’s Guide to the Rivers of Ontario and Quebec (Paperback) by Kevin Callan, Kevin writes in a very human engaging way.

the definitive guide is

Rivers of the Upper Ottawa Valley: Myth, Magic and Adventure (Paperback)

by Hap Wilson

Hap has an extensive knowledge of the area and his drawings will show you the way he runs what is runnable

Could try asking here
http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/index.php?sid=7a5f29e1d4014c19f62d89beb0310cd8

I haven’t paddled it but you can probably find some help on the Canadian Canoe Routes site. Site has Quebec canoe routes forum as well as a “Places” section you could search.

Excellent Memories
The Dumoine is a great trip!! I co-led a group of students back in '96 and then revisited with a group of men in '00. The first trip was a long paddle that started in Laniel, Quebec and required a solid week of work to get to Lac Dumoine. We then enjoyed a week on the river handling the CII’s and CIII’s with lots of water in that particular year. The bridge rapids are a hoot, and Alligator point is a great camping spot along with Red Pine rapids campsite as well. You will probably find some hunters at the Dumoine Rod and Gun Club facility about 1/2 way through the trip. The Chute is an impressive set of falls and the cliffs toward the end are worth a hike to the top. My trip in '00 with the group of men was a wonderful experience. We flew in and spent a full week on the river. I’ll never forget the lifting fog as we ended the trip with a paddle across the massive Ottawa River. The Dumoine is a must do trip. I’ll be interested in hearing about your adventure should you go.

Willard

http://rivertales.blogspot.com/

Hap Wilson…
…, by the way, is the author whose guidebook you will want. His work in this region is legendary and his books are excellent. You can find information about him at this link:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Wilson/hap-wilson.htm

River map
The Dumoine is also on my list for 2007. I did the Noire in 2005 and the Coulonge in 2006 all I used for those trips was Had Wilson’s book. A must for the trip. I photocopied the pages of interest and then laminated them so to make them water proof.

For my Dumoine trip I also purchased a very nice river map on the Dumoine. This map can be purchased at “WWW.jlcgeo.com”. The place is in Quebec and the map is called Guide Canot-Camping Paddlers Guide.

The map in both in English and in French.

When are you planning to go?

plenty of guide books
Thank you for getting back to me, I have “A Paddler’s Guide to the Rivers of Ontario and Quebec” I’ll try to find a copy of “Rivers of the Upper Ottawa Valley: Myth, Magic and Adventure (Paperback)

by Hap Wilson”

Could try asking here
Thank you,

I will and I’ll let you know what I find

Excellent Memories
Thanks for the email-

Your response confirms my desire to get up there!

River map
Hi Simon,

Determining if and when I should go are why I’m seeking information.

I’ll hope to hit good water levels, miss the notorious black flies and need to coordinate with one of two bow paddlers before I can even begin to coordinate travel logistics. Once this is all defined a bit more, then the search for another team may begin.

Thanks for your interest though - maybe we can work something out once I know more. It will be necessary to have a second, and great to have a third boat

Dave

Dumoine

– Last Updated: Nov-06-06 9:46 PM EST –

I've been down the Dumoine four times. It's a fun intermediate river. I recommend it. It's usually paddleable all season. I've been down in ealy June to mid Septembe. Like most rivers, it changes with the season and waterflow. If you're looking to avoid the majority of bugs and have an easier trip I suggest early August. If you hit the water too high some of the rapids get "interesting". You can fly into the head waters at lac Dumoine or drive partway up to bridge rapids and still catch the majority of the good stuff. Many RII/RIII rapids, not many RIV. Several short portages, one long portage.

Memories from 1980 trip
1. Spectacular river.

2. Rocky tent sites, many too small for an old North Face Oval Intention. Smaller tents would fit better, but a hammock would be perfect.

3. Mosquitos and black flies. We lived in head nets (late May) for the week. An Original Bug Shirt would be a great accessory, as would a Susie Bug Net.

4. No-Seeums. Some lakeside campsites had a zillion of them. Two guys had an old Frostline tent with MOSQUITO (not no-seeum) netting, and they were eaten alive some nights.

5. Portages. Pretty rocky, but typical for the Canada Shield area.

6. Satisfaction: Immense. This river has a wide variety of water conditions, great scenery, and as has been mentioned is one of the last free-flowing rivers in that area.

In 1980 we flew in, but that year a logging road had just been completed, offering an alternate trip which was shorter. Makes the river less remote unfortunately.

Jim

Mapping software
Ther Atlas of Canada now offers Toporama digital images for free. This software does not offer the detail of a raster software map, but it is not too bad. On the site are links to software purveyors.

I just located my maps from 1980. First day of the trip was May 31. As I mentioned, black flies and mosquitos were ferocious.

Jim

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/index.html

Dumoine
I have done that river twice between 1980 and 1999 when I was living in Montreal. You can find what you are looking for by going to amazon.com . Look for the book on the Ottawa rivers by Hap Wilson. The river is traditional : rock, wood and sand.

The book title :

Rivers of the Upper Ottawa Valley: Myth, Magic and Adventure by Hap Wilson.

Also interesing in that area are the Noire with a lot of sand and the Coulonge. You can swim and relax in these rivers.

If you can read French or have someone translate for you the Federation de canot kayak du Quebec can also help you.

Usually people take a float plane to be drop-off somewhere on the river.

Hope this help.

Michel Bertrand

Calgary