Duralite

Does anyone know much about Duralite, as in the Wilderness Systems Tsunami 14.5? I have heard it oil cans badly.

Duralite is a very thin
poly material. I started kayaking with a standard Pungo 120 (12ft.). When I learned of the Duralite, I immediately went for it. The standard Pungo 120 weighs 49# whereas the Duralite version only weighs 39#. This was a good move for an elder (olde) person like myself. Yes, the Duralite will “oilcan” when handled roughly out of water. I would not leave it strapped tight on a car for days. Short trips, tied down tight, do not do any damage. I have had three years paddling the Duralite and am completly happy with it. I expect many more years of service. It has a keelson and some additional bulkheads to stiffen the hull. The forward bulkhead is useful to mount my digital clock. The bottom has been sliced and diced by rocks, but so far, none of the scratches have been deep enough to cause concern. Best advice I can give you is to try a demonstration paddle and evaluate for yourself.

Thanks
Thanks, I appreciate the reply!

Saw a Duralite Tsunami 145

– Last Updated: Dec-27-07 1:54 PM EST –

at Jax. I took my thumb, and pressed against the side, and the plastic dented in, showing little restraint and quite easy to press in. The doesnt happen on my Pamlico 140, witch is Gen2 poly. I strongly suggest you eithier go with the Tsunami 145 standard with Gen2 or Tsunami 145 pro. If you want light weight, Go for the Composite, not the Duralite. Its more like Duraweak.

Cute!

I have a Tsunami 120 in duralite
that I’m very happy with. It was worth it to me to pay a bit more for the 10-12 pound weight savings, since I don’t have help with loading or transport.

Might oilcan a small amount (temporarily) when strapped down tight, but no worse than any Perception kayak I’ve ever owned.

some stores don’t sell it
because it shows every ding and dent if it’s leaned, layed, placed, hung against anything.

Is this hearsay
or do you have evidence to substantuate the charges? I say you are wrong!

correction
a store I have known for ten years. They’ve ordered them for customers but won’t stock them because they inevitably develop bumps if they’re ever stored on racks or if other kayaks lean against them a deformation shows up eventually.

So yes it’s hearsay. Kind of like your car mechanic saying he’s had problems with a particular car, I tend to trust some people.

OK, then let
the buyer beware. Try before you buy. Trust, but verify.

well now
duralite, like all products has it’s upside AND downside.

some dealers don’t carry duralite because it leans on the ‘not as sturdy’ fence. BUT it also leans on the ‘not so heavy’ fence. compromises.

duralite works well for many and it’s don’t for others. the buyer needs to make the decision and some dealers make the choices easier by NOT carrying the product. their call.

steve

A warning
The word “duralite” does not seem to be copywrote.

That word is used by other paddlecraft manufacturers to specify a completely different product.

"A rose by any

– Last Updated: Dec-29-07 4:38 PM EST –

other name still smells like a rose". Wilderness Systems do not indicate a copywrite in their web description of the Duralite products. Nonetheless, I'm glad to have the darn thin stuff, so there! :-)

thats why they have composites.

Please please please
ignore this posters response. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Search this board for posts on Duralite. You will see the overwhelming response to Duralite is that it is a quality material, that provides a weight savings benefit. It is still poly just like any other plastic boat, but it is a different type of poly that can be used to produce a thinner hull. Because of the thinner hull foam pillars are used to reinforce the hull for strength.

However - the cost benefit is in the eye of the beholders here. For me when I bought my Tsunami 120 the extra cost of the Duralite was not worth the weight savings for me. However I’m a very fit person and am able to heft the 53 lbs up and down off my SUV on my own. Certainly it is no where near as expensive as going composite, and is more forgiving then composite if you bash it off of rocks, scrape it along rocky pebbly bottoms etc.

If Flatpick weighs in he has some good info and feedback on this material.

Good luck in your decisions.

I know alot more than you think I know

What???

Duralight for me
10lbs is a considerable weight savings and the boats that use it are’nt designed for shallow rivers anyway.

Performance is also enhanced by the weight savings.

yeppers
weight is weight. the duralite material IS quite popular because you do get less boat for more money. :wink: and many folks spend waaay more money for less boat, paddle, bike, etc. look at carbon fiber!

duralite is a way to reduce weight and still have a similar product (they’re made in the same mold) as regular roto.

fact is the duralite material is actually stronger than regular roto (Gen 2 ), there is just less of it.

good luck

steve