dutch oven in kayaks?

Does anyone carry dutch ovens with them in their kayaks. If so what size and type (aluminium vs cast iron)

Ness is afraid Dave would do that to her

– Last Updated: Sep-14-07 3:37 PM EST –

That's why she got him his own boat instead of a tandem kayak ";^?

Yep, right next to the refrigerator…
n/m

Crock pot
with solar cells - cooks while you paddle

flatpick and his wife
pull it off somehow

cast iron, as I recall

but then they pack a double-burner coleman stove and large tank of fuel too

never could figure out where it all went

those tempests must hold a ton

Always a troublemaker…
Aren’t you? Please, don’t give Dave any more ideas!

A TANDEM kayak? Never was a consideration. They don’t call them “divorce-yaks” for nothin’.

However, when we visit Hemlock Canoes soon, who knows, we may get the bug to try out a tandem… canoe. The Dutch oven could go right in between us on trips.

You could sell tickets to THAT sideshow.

Just make sure that it’s
cooled down, that heat could ruin your boat. And that would just prove that you can’t have your kayak and heat it too!!!

Yes, Aluminum 5qt
Yes, I do on multi-day trips. I have a OT Loon 138 with the optional hatch installed. As I am usually camp cook for our group, I usually pack a 5 qt. 12" aluminum Dutch, which weighs just over 7 pounds. When not unpacked for use, I pack the inside full of small containers of spices, herbs,etc. Whatever can fit inside and make use of the space while it’s being tranported. I got my aluminum dutches from Campmor.com. I also have the 10’’ size, but found it was not as useful for me as the 12" size for paddling trips. Being aluminum, there is the obvious benefits of lighter weight and no rust or seasoning worries that I have with my cast iron dutches. In fact, the aluminum ones were bought strictly for paddling use. Hope this helps.

One of my paddling pals carries an
aluminum one. Also 5 qt. I think. It’s great to have fresh cornbread and chili for dinner. And then coffee cake for breakfast.

Dutch oven/pressure cooker.
I had the ‘privilege’ to haul one of these around between my legs on a group paddling trip off the coast of Alaska.

Everyone thought that my navigation skills sucked while I was leading and indeed they did. This turned out to be a conflict between the pot and my compass. :smiley:

alu…
actually they’re 10" aluminum.

and yes, I have packed DO’s on many sea kayak trips. sometimes as the only cooking vessel. the whole trip was planned around 'em.

toast, pancakes, brownies, pineapple upside down cake, lasagna,pizza, impossible pie…I’m getting hunggggggrrrryyyy…

:slight_smile:

steve

I do it all the time

– Last Updated: Sep-17-07 12:24 PM EST –

I do not particularly care for aluminum cookware of any kind, (the Health Departments of many States agree and do not allow its use in restarants)but I do carry my cast iron in my canoe all the time. I have a little 2qt and a 6qt that I use on overnight trips. I picked up a padded vinyl zippered case that is made for up to a 12" wide dutch oven that I carry my 6qt in, its not totally waterproof, but I keep it in the bottom of a drybag. If I am carrying the little one, I just keep it in my charcoal bucket (2.5 gal paint bucket with a lid)or in a hatch.
Some times I take a 9" deek skillet and use the 6qt lid with it for making pies or cornbread.
I never have any trouble with rust unless I get careless in maintaining it.

Aluminum concerns
The FDA’s Model Food Code makes reference to materials that are resistant to pitting, where aluminum has problems if not properly cared for. Interestingly it forbids cast iron except for grille surfaces.

The link between aluminum cookware and forms of dementia is at best speculation. I would be more worried about melting three holes in the bilge of my boat!

Jim

Raised on food from an aluminum-potted kitchen.

Coleman makes a propane fired
crock pot.

Thanks for FDA reference
I wonder if their anti-cast iron stance is because there are just too many people these days who don’t have a clue to its proper use and care. It certainly would be ruined if subjected to FDA’s recommended maintenance procedures and can’t have cooked food left in it for the extended periods of time they seem to anticipate in the food service industry.

If I were doing an extended trip in the yak I definitely would have at least my 12" DO. I frequently take the 12" and the 14" in the travel trailer. How else would one make an Irish Stew and biscuits at the same time?

10" - NO legs
the 10"ers I have seen around (GSI) have no legs. you get a little stand (under $10) and it fits inside. legs would make it a packing nightmare. also you can use it as a skillet/ toaster/ grill on a camp stove w/o legs.

aluminum is light, rust free and EZ to care for. I don’t cook with pitting ingedience, save for a small amount of tomato.

steve

aluminum
doesn’t do well with acidic foods, hence the FDA’s meddling