Easky 15' Opinions Please

Hi P Netters, I’m looking at the Easky 15 for light touring, photography, and some overnight camping. I have paddled the Easky 13 and found it to be stable, pretty fast (for a 13’ rec. kayak), with decent glide, but have not paddled the 15’. I’m assuming the 15’ one will be somewhat faster? I thought the plastic seemed pretty stout and that’s why I’m leaning towards the Easky by Venture Kayaks. If it matters, I’m 6’2" and 210, size 12 shoes. Feel free to suggest any others under the $900-$1000. level. Thanks in advance.

easky 15
Jim, I have a 15’ Easky and my wife paddles it. she loves the stability of the boat. It is not a fast boat as compared to most sea kayaks, but if you are a good paddler it will keep up with some effort. We have had it out in some 3-4’ swells with no problems. I would get the skeg option to help with tracking. It has a lot of volume, maybe too much for you size but you would have to demo the boat for yourself. where do you live? Randy

Thanks for the offer Randy
I live in Sacramento. I really can’t find any negatives on the Easky doing a search. I know a test paddle speaks volumes…but care to guess how this compares to a Tempest 16’? I did paddle the Tempest and found it to feel very nice. But a 10 minute paddle on calm water makes everything feel good.

go for the Easky 15 NM

Easky/Tempest

– Last Updated: Sep-24-08 7:34 AM EST –

Found this on the Atlantic Kayak Tours site re the Easky 15 - sometimes it's useful to see how closely the description by the outfitters that handle a boat like agree with the manufacturer's statements.

"For paddlers 140 to 220. A great entry level touring kayak suitable for the Hudson River. The skills you learn while paddling this kayak will be transferable to any sea kayak (edging, rescues). Exceptional efficiency and maneuverable for this class of kayak. You need to paddle this boat to understand how well it performs compared to its competition. Available with skeg.

Double sealed foam bulkheads. Full deck lines and bungees. Two full rubber hatch covers (same as on expeditions sea kayaks). Rudder compatible. Higher seat back and larger cockpit. Molded in thigh hooks (only found on higher end kayaks). Great value for the price."

The Hudson River mention may be due in large part to that being where they are located, a river that can get some pretty anything-but-beginner conditions, or it may indicate the limits of where they think the boat should be used. AKT leads more advanced paddles offshore from Rhode Island and areas where the conditions can get very dicey. But it does sound like they agree with P&H overall that this is a surprisingly capable boat. At 210 pounds you are at the top of the weight range they give, but within it at all should be fine.

As to the Tempest 16 - do you mean the Tempest 165 by Wilderness Systems? That boat is likely a good bit faster, has a day hatch, and a cockpit that I find quite nice at 5'4" - in other words a boat that is probably a little small for you unless you were looking for a low volume boat for things like rolling. For general paddling and camping, you probably would be in a Tempest 170 for the greater volume. But again, with the Tempests we are talking about full bore go-anywhere sea kayaks, while the Easky 15' is an entry level boat with more assuring stability for a beginner and less speed and tripping capacity.

And I didn't look, but I suspect the Tempest costs more. We have both Tempests and Venture boats in our local paddling group, and both are popular within their range of use. The Tempests tend to be the boats that those who do longer paddle/camp trips do, the most extensive of which was the guy who did the length of the Erie Canal last summer.

Easky 15 Skeg
Go with the skeg version. It’s the same system as in the P&H Cetus.

The plastic of the Easky is quite rigid and the 2’ of extra length in the Easky 15 vs. the 13 only adds 4 pounds of weight.

The Easky’s have proven very capable in mixed conditions here in the Mid-Hudson area and have fit many day and overnighter paddler’s uses. The features on the Easkys are comparable to the composite P&H boats with full perimeter lines, deck bungees, security bar, pop-top adjustable height and pitch back back rest, control rod style foot pegs and well secured front/rear bulkheads. Nicely appointed for a $1200 kayak.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

10 minutes
can tell alot.

If the Tempest felt good you may want to set your sites higher. Learn how to paddle her and she’ll feel even better.

steve

Thanks guys…great info
and I have a feeling that this is going to be the one for my needs. This is my favorite time of year to be on the water and camping…just need to make sure there is room on the back for the skipper, “Lady”…she’s my small Border Collie who loves to kayak ride. I’m thinking about adding some velcro contact strips on 4 coners and placing a piece of outdoor plastic carpet for her to sit on…we’ll see. When too hot or bored, she jumps off the back of my Prower 15’ sit on top and goes for a swim…usually keeping pace with the kayak or swims over to see other kayakers. Yup, she wears her pdf…especially since it has a grab handle on top. Can’t believe how much this dog loves water…lol.

Easky

– Last Updated: Sep-24-08 4:34 PM EST –

I own the Easky 13, exclusively used for nature photography with a large telephoto. While I can not comment on the 15, I will tell you that I am pleased that these boats have safety features and qualities not common in boats of this price range and type. To find bulkheads, Kajaksport hatch covers, perimeter deck lines, and adequate thigh contact points is rare indeed. Although I would never use my 13 in a group paddle or where any distance is required, I find the Easky 13 is faster, and more responsive than any rec boat I've ever tried. P & H did not skimp in this category of boat, IMO.

Easky 15
Been paddling an Easky 15 mostly on SF Bay for the last couple years and have been very happy with it. As mentioned, it’s not the fastest boat out there but I’ve found it to be very stable and solid in some fairly snotty conditions. Outfitting is simple, but it works. Mine isn’t equipped with the skeg, and there may be some situations where it would nice, but I guess I’ve adapted to not having it. The cockpit is large which makes it easy to get in and out, but perhaps not the best if rolling is something you’d like to pursue. For around a grand, I’d say it’s definitely worth a test paddle.

Test paddled the Easky today…
quite impressed with the overall feel of the boat…for the first 10 minutes it felt a little twitchy or tippy on initial stability (felt better as time went by), but secondary seems pretty high. I could lean it almost over to the edge of the cockpit, but did not have a skirt on, so backed off as to finding out just how far it would go. I like the slightly larger cockpit as it will allow me to carry a full size SLR camera and big lense between my legs and raise it without hassle. Hard for me to judge speed as I only have my 12’ Necky Santa Cruze to compare it with…but it is faster than the 12’ yak. I’m almost ready to get it, but I’m checking to see if any others at my price point of $1000. max. If I don’t find anything, the Easky 15 should work just fine. Btw, itdoes have the skeg…simple up/down with a cord…I like.

If anyone can think of another kayak to test out, feel free to comment. Thanks again for all the good input…especially you kayak store guys.

speed vs. stability

if you want to increase speed - go with easky 17 - similar primary/secondary stability - and has 3rd hatch - and longer - 1/2" narrower.

if you want to increase primary - go with easky13 - but you’ll loose a bit of speed - (1’6" shorter - 3" wider)

the whole easky range is quite stable relative to 20-22" beam more traditional “sea kayak” - thats the idea. There are other boats in the same neighboorhood as easkys - but the package of comfort/performance/features is hard to beat with easkys and you’ll have a proper boat for instruction and longer range paddling. Just depends on what you are looking for -you may find less expensive alternatives that still fit your needs but typically geared more “recreational”.

jim

PH Kayaks - Asheville

UPDATE: Proud owner of a new
Easky 15. It’s a beautiful mottled orange and I got it with the rudder instead of the skeg. The dealer has the 13’ and 15’s in their rental fleet and said the rudder ones have been bullet proof. Gotta say the plastic that P&H uses is much stronger feeling than anything else I sat in…no cockpit flex with my 210lbs. Pretty cool to watch the dealer unwrap a brand new kayak…I mean it was my birthday last month and I’m not getting any younger…lol. So tomorrow is it’s maiden voyage…I’ll probably christen it with a bottle of Coors Light and spend a few hours on the lake…yup, feel like a kid. Pics to follow later this week with a paddle report. And to Jim in the above post from P&H…your dealer in Grass Valley, Ca. is a top notch guy who knows his stuff! Helps too that he was a 5 year rep for Perception and now has his store, rentals, and training/classes, and some tours. Happy with the whole experience here.

Congratulations!
Be safe.

Learn stuff.

Have fun!

Best wishes to you and your new boat. May you have many good days together.

Congrats!
Congrats on the new boat!

Seriously though, an occasion such as this deserves a real beer, not a light…:slight_smile:

A few pics of the Easky 15
These were taken 2 days ago in calm conditions, love the way she handles and can’t wait to get into some good sized waves/wind and learn how to properly use the rudder. All good here and taking her out again today!

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=561de98859c2b17e26cd1d30d33b21f1

OK, here is onw that works
yes, my techie skills are suspect…

http://community.webshots.com/album/563932138HYugzw