Easky 15 performance?

I’m considering purchasing an Easky 15 but I am concerned about problems with weathercocking I noticed during a demo. I had trouble controlling my direction in a 15 mile/hr wind.

Any comments on the Easky 15 performnce in a high wind condition or 2 to 4 foot waves would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I am 6’5" tall and weigh 180 lbm.

Thanks

the Easky
by P&H was on my short short list when I was making the move from rec boat to a touring boat. Like most rec boat users, I think I was intimidated by the length of the Capella and felt that 15 ft was more than enough etc etc. I have since completely changed my thinking for the type of padling I do.

I understand the Easky is a much thinner plastic than the older P & H’s, and that they have introduced a double line down the hull for stability and rigidity.

It is their entry boat and I heard it severely weathercocks and has high initial stability. 2 no’s for me. I am sure I could be corrected but it seems to me that if it weathercocks or gets pushed around by the wind, then corrective paddling strokes and leans should compensate. If your initial stability is so high that it is dificult to maintain an edge, then you are stuck with the skeg to maintain tracking. this just strikes me as a design compromise that forces me to use a skeg and I don’t want to depend on a skeg to just go straight unless I am in really strong winds and waves and just feel lazy.

Not knowing what type of paddling you do I can’t really recommend but I will say this. Going longer has never been an isue for me. The additional two feet on a Capella or a Tempest will not restrict you any more from meandering rivers or creeks. However, it will add incredible performance characteristics and possibilities for you.

To put it in short form, I would buy the highest performance end boat for the style of paddling you can afford. Not saying fiberglas or kevlar composites necessarily.

Also…buy used. Your first boat, if this becomes the sport for you will certainly not be your last. I was able to get an incredible deal at a year end demo sale for a tempest 170 for 750 bucks. Best move I ever made and this boat is teaching me skills I never thought I could accomplish. Look around for a fall sale …should be a bunch of them out there about now. Demo demo and demo…I demoed about 15 boats and rented the tempest twice before deciding on it.

good luck

Paul

Great comments
Thanks for the great information.

I couldn’t keep the Easky going my desired direction using my paddling technique.

The Easky made my short list of kayaks because it weighed less then 50 lbm, was plastic (durable), was comfortable to sit in, had a decent length, and had a large enough cockpit for me to enter easily. My last kayak, a Manitou 13, met all my requirements except for the comfort. My legs would start going numb after an hour of paddling. If the seat wasn’t so uncomfortable I would buy the Manitou 14 since it paddles well. I suppose I could replace the Manitou seat.

While the Duralite Tsunamai 14 is less than 50 lbm I question the material durablity. Weight is a primary requirement for me because I suspect that my frequency of kayaking is directly proportional to how difficult it is to load and unload my kayk from my car roof top carrier.

Mark

funny thing about the weight.
I am starting to have my doubts about going ultralight with my boats. Like i said I have the beat up plastic Tempest and frankly I do not think twice about beaching it or running it up a boat ramp. Just today I was an inland waterway at a boat ramp and there was someone there with a Romany fiberglass. It was certainly lighter than my 60lb boat but it wasn’t that much lighter and since I almost never have to carry my boat farther than about 40 yards (worst case scenario) I just don’t think about it. Easy enough to hoist it on your shoulder and go. the owner of the Romany handled this thing like it was made of cotton candy and it was almost comical. It’s a boat for chrissakes.

I suspect that the weight of your boat will become increasingly less important as your enjoyment increases with the sport…You just won’t think about it. And if your sport takes you to where you have to portage etc, then you have a case for a lighter boat. Performance wise, unless you are talking racing hulls, there isn’t a significant difference in efficiency and speed at normal cruising levels. So if the effort of hoisting the boat on your car and putting it in the water is the only reason, I suggest you go for the boat that gives you the best performance and not worry right now about the weight. You will figure a way to get it on the water believe me.

The Tsunami was also on my short list…forgot to mention it. great boat but again I felt that I would always wonder why I didn’t get the extra 2 or three feet. think of yourself as an intermediate paddler, handling tougher conditions and ask yourself if the boat you are choosing is the boat for those conditions.

Prijon supposedly has great plastic. I like the plastic of Wilderness Systems too. Lots of good ones out there.

what type of paddling do you want to do anyway?

Paul

Paddling goals
My paddling is limited to a few hours at a time on Lake Washington or the sheltered waters of Puget Sound. I live in the Seattle area. If I had a comfortable boat I could see myself extending my paddling time and distance to 3 or 4 hours and 15 to 18 miles. My longest paddles to date are 9 miles.

In paddling longer boats (up to 19 or 20’) at demo days and kayak symposiums, I discovered that I didn’t really enjoy them any more than my Manitou. While it’s great to get from point a to b quicker, the additional speed didn’t matter to me that much. Of course my attitude may change after I enter a local human powered boat race.

Mark