East coast paddlers

That’s looking out my front window in Central NY, Finger Lakes/Great Lakes region

Here’s looking out the back at the frozen channel off the Seneca river

That’s pretty. So you are in the thick of the snow right now. The rain here has turned to freezing rain and ice pellets. Things are getting an icy glaze. I would much rather have your snow. Snow you can play in… winter wonderland. Ice… you can fall and break a hip… winter hellscape. :frowning:

sing

1 Like

Good golly!!! Am SO, SO glad for the ultra short work commute today…

Off to start the weekend. :slight_smile:

sing

1 Like

My apple tree is getting a little thick.

We had it easy here in south-central Michigan. Just enough snow for some nice x-country skiing.

1 Like

Nice… I keep forgetting to bring the x-country skis back from the ME camp. My thought was to put them to use more (since I don’t drive up to Maine anymore in the winter) so I can ski the local reservations near my home on the rare occaisions we get significant snowfall. Well, the snow is here but the skis are not.

I did get a chance to go hiking and hanging out at the beginning of a light snow event earlier this season.

sing

Looks like a nice hike. We don’t get rocks like that here in Southern Michigan. Just glacial till over the Michigan Basin. Looks more like where I grew up in western Pennsylvania.

The 10+ day forecast suggests that the snow may stick around. This may be the best snow season we’ve had in some time.

1 Like

Thanks rookie! Well, it got so bad for a while it felt like the upper 30s… We turned on the AC -the whole house toaster!

And then? We we had the AC -the refrigerator side -on today…

The latter certainly helps me to think in terms of what I might consider to

PADDLE ON!

Frank on Miami

Great to hear from you, even if it’s a bit chilly there!

Agree with the attitude reflected in that statement. :slight_smile: I enjoy the winter season, along with the others… (tho’ admittedly my least favorite is the hot, humid and hazy of mid-summer).

sing

1 Like

Another morning another half foot…

But free heels are happy heels and we love freshy turns

Cool. Are those telemarking/backcountry skis?

sing

Yes, about to hit a glade from a local hang glider launch

Nice!!! I am still using my Fischer backcountry waxable skis from late 80s/90 (?) with the 3 pin bindings. Before I blew out my left knee (not skiing related), I used to take them onto the novice trails of Sunday River Resort. Never got good, but I could “telemark” a bit (intermixed with a lot of falling) to the bottom of the hill. I wondered about getting more robust set up you have. I am sure those are better on the downhill but how are those on the flatter terrain?

sing

Those skis are straight up tele. I skin up with them and ski down but use different skis for flats, either classic Nordic or skate depending on where we go….
I have a Nordic center about a mile from my house

1 Like

Gotcha. Thanks!

1 Like

Here is that winter hellscape you mentioned.

1 Like

LOL! Yours look pretty. I just finished salting the heck out of my “hellscape” this morning. I live near the top of a hill. Last thing I want is to see my mailperson sprawled out on my driveway… “Help, I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!!!” (Actually, more likely for me to be down on the driveway, screaming…)

sing

Lol. It was half decent for snowshoeing all last week now I need to dig out my skates.

Uploading: 20220206_084033_HDR.jpg…

I do not own a “real” camera anymore so I tried getting the sunrise hitting the ice on the trees. It does not even come close to the real thing.

1 Like