Economical small dry storage

Not exactly “free” if you consider the cost of the initial product, but if you like to eat gourmet type ice cream and sorbet anyway, I’ve discovered that the clear hard plastic screw-top pint containers that Talenti brand frozen treats come in are immersible. I’ve been using them for a while for storing all kinds of stuff. They’re great for workshop hardware (especially since they’re clear), sewing notions, storing fridge leftovers and packing hiking snacks.

I wondered how they would hold up for stashing stuff on paddling outings so I stuffed one with kleenex, screwed the lid on snugly and submerged it completely in a big pot of water, with a heavy can of peaches on top to keep it underwater. Checked the next morning and the tissue was completely dry.

Don’t know if I would trust tender electronics in one (though I checked and my little Canon camera and my old Blackberry type phone both fit inside). But I find these jars superior to ziplock baggies and even Tupperware type soft plastic containers for snacks – you can open or close them with gloves on and not have to guess about the seal. Also can be more easily washed and re-used, unlike baggies. Just don’t put them in the dishwasher – the high heat can deform them slightly.

If you haven’t tried them, the Talenti ice creams are really tasty – I’d buy 'em anyway (prefer them to Ben & Jerry’s, Haagen Dasz and Edy’s) so having the nice re-usable jars is just a plus.

as a function of
profit and poison free food, the temporary plastic in food containers are relatively free of compounds giving long plastic life.

When the temp container yields to natural forces is directly proportional to the value of contained objects

BTW, Amazon has Ford 42mm bayonet LED bulbs 8/$8. Lube clamps/bulb contact with a swab of CRC silicone.

I find that…
… the longer the distance between corners, the greater the chance of a mis-seal in Tupperware, Rubbermaid, etc. So I like to get those new containers with clamps on all four sides.

The problem with many of these things is the type of plastic used. Nalgene bottles are made from a different plastic than fruit-juice bottles. The former is designed for repeated use, the latter was designed for single use and so the plastic can not only leech bad junk into your drink, but it can also grow bacteria over time and use. So I like to use empty peanut butter jars as a dry-case for my repair kit or med-kit but the plastic may promote bacteria growth when reused or leech bad junk into the food.

Food container cases, however, ARE made to be reused and safely hold food repeatedly under different situations.

The Ice Cream containers you mention may be watertight but:

a) are they crush-proof or leak-proof when you toss your gear on top of them?

b) toss a few of these round containers into your dryhatch and look at all the wasted space there.

A drybag may cost but it conforms to the space allowing more gear and it is confirmed dry even when on the bottom of the pile. For sensitive stuff, I splurge for an otter Box.

I’d hate to lose a $385 e-reader or my cell-phone to a cheap ‘dry’ bag that leaked or a plastic container that buckled and allowed water to enter from a breeched seal.

get your point, BUT…
I do have Otter boxes and several types of the snap-seal type containers that you recommend and use them for phones, cameras, etc. Certainly would not recommend these gelato containers as equal replacements, but as a handy (and, for me, as a fan of the initial contents, plentiful) adjunct, I think these have potential beyond snacks for parts (like the repair kit for my folding kayaks), first aid supplies, etc.

These fit in nicely my deck bag or behind my seat and (according to the manufacturer) are made of BPA-free plastic. Unlike the soft plastic in the usual plastic storage containers they don’t absorb flavors or stains – been using them for fresh food storage and leftovers for over a year. I plan to give them to folks I take for day outings in my loaner boats for them to use for their wallets, snacks and car keys.

I admit I have not tested their crush-worthiness, but I expect they would be pretty durable and would require a pretty heavy blow or very heavy weight on them to crack. They are not brittle, but flex slightly when squeezed and pop back into shape. What I like best about them is that they are completely clear and the knurled screw-top lid is easy to open, even one handed if you have it tucked between your knees or under an armpit.

Try one – at worst you’ll have to eat a pint of really good sorbet and have a nice jar left over for stashing rubber bands or q-tips. The mango is fantastic, by the way (and a decent source of vitamin A).

lots of dry containers out there
that I can re-purpose -

I keep a plastic peanut butter jar behind my seat, with a granola bar, small screw driver, and a little bit of tp inside.

I also use Nestle Quick containers for bigger items. nalgene bottles with a connecting lid have the advantage of being easy to beener into the boat but the lid connectors don’t look all that strong so something to keep in mind.

When it comes to camera gear I use pelican cases.

thanks for sharing about the ice cream containers- always good to learn new tricks.

Talenti
I love their Salted Caramel Gelato & have several empty containers in the cupboard. I agree - good find.

justification
Maybe I just posted this “tip” to help justify my semi-addiction to the stuff. Have not tried that salted caramel but keep hearing it’s divine. Since I’m about due for another jar I’ll check it out this weekend.

I admit this is not helping the winter spare tire I’ve been trying to shed before our trip to Lake Tahoe next month. But I do find it’s so good that I can be happy savoring a very small dish of it.

Hah
Totally unrelated, but it reminds me of a Delaware River canoe trip where one of my companions proudly showed off his peanut butter jar that held his wallet, small point & shoot camera and car keys. Unfortunately he neglected to lash it down.

When he dumped his canoe in Mongaup rapids, guess what floated away?

Now imagine trying to find that thing, barely floating on the wide Delaware. We actually did find it somehow.

Yummmm
Pricey at $4.50/ pint, but geez that Talenti Soutern Butter Pecan gelato is up there with the best I’ve ever had.

The dry storage is a nice extra. Heck a small dry box would cost you $5, so the gelato (ice cream? - tastes the same to me) is essentially free.

Thanks for the tip.

REGULARLY USE

– Last Updated: Apr-16-16 1:51 PM EST –

old peanut butter and mayonnaise jars, they work well. Drill a hole in the top and use a rubber-washered double nut-attached eyebolt to string a line thru for lashing if you're fearful it might go floating away. Epoxy the attachment point inside & out if you don't trust rubber washers as gaskets.

Even better, if you can still find them, are large plastic jars that hard pretzels come -or used to come -in. Mouths are wider to fit larger items inside, and the larger volume will float heavier items as an added benefit.

You should include a washcloth or similar small towel inside in warm weather in warm water to take care of condensation, and to dry wet hands when opening dry jars and handling cameras and phones, etc.

I've used these for ages and they work well. As long as you screw the cap on nice and tight you'll keep your valuables nice and dry as you

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

Pretzel jars
I was using some of the large pretzel jars in my crate. The ones I was using were just about perfect and were a bit shorter than my crate so I could flip the lid and were actually pretty tough. There were 2 types, the other type seemed flimsy and easy to crush, so you gotta pick the right pretzels! The only problem was, they were round and the crate is square so there was a lot of wasted space. I found that some diners get food stuff in large rectangle 5 lb containers. They are about the same size as the pretzel containers but rectangle with a a round screw on lid. I can fit 3 across my crate with plenty of room for lure cases and other esential gear.

Adding a tie off…
to containers that lack one.

Duct tape, yes duct tape evermore to the rescue. For a Nalgene water bottle, I took a short piece of line, laid it on the side of the bottle, pushed the ends together to force a loop into the air. Duct taped each of the ends around the bottle and now you have a loop on the bottle which you can use as a tie off.

Given sufficient extra line and serious duct taping, it is a pretty secure connection.

thanks

– Last Updated: Apr-14-16 4:13 PM EST –

(Running out of Ben and Jerry flavors!)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saves useful containers - and who shops sometimes based on the type of container.

But: who knows where I can get a good milwaukee-style frozen custard?

salted caramel
That Talenti salted caramel must really be “da bomb”. I’ve been to 3 grocery stores in the past week and that flavor was sold out at every one. Not a huge problem (since they have 40 flavors and I have yet to have one that was not delicious) but now I’m REALLY curious.

You won’t be disappointed
It’s the reason I have 6 or 8 empty Talenti containers in my cabinet. A few spoonfuls of salt caramel & a glass of merlot is a beautiful thing.

Field Tests
Taking several of these on some recent trips, I had the opportunity to find uses for them.

Thinking the hard container might be useful to store easily bruised fruit I experimented with pears and bananas (cut in half). I found that the container did help with minimizing the bruising, but at the points of contact some bruising still occurred. However, in the case of the pear, all the sloppy bruised flesh stayed the jar and made for clean transport. There was enough extra room in the jar to store slices of Gouda to go with the pear… With banana I left the skin on and cut it in two to fit.

Both of these uses I’d rate a B+. Might also be useful for kiwis.

However, the best use I found for the Taenti jar was for storing peeled sections of navel oranges. Each jar will hold 2 1/2 peeled oranges. So nice to have a refreshing treat in the canoe without having to get your hands wet and sticky with peeling the orange; do that ahead of time and store them in the jar.

The oranges use gets an A rating.

Don’t wash in the dishwasher!
I tried to wash in the dishwasher the last Mango Sorbet that I had and it melted!

Always have a few
We always seem to have a few Talenti containers around the house. The gelato is really good and the containers almost seem too nice to just throw them away!

We’ve never used them as dry boxes in our kayaks but my wife uses them to take washed and/or cut up fruit - raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, etc - into work with her for lunch several times a week.

NO DISHWASHER!
Yes, dishwashers generate too much heat for the Talenti containers and most other lightweight plastic grocery item packaging. But the ice cream/sorbet jars wash out easily by hand and don’t retain odors or stains.

Ditto!
Packing up for a summer-long trip and have been saving these Talenti containers for the last year, thinking that they would be much better than the containers we have. Thanks for testing it out – have already packed them with condiments and food sundries which cannot get damp or wet. When we return will test them with our dehydrated veggies to see how well they fare and how long they remain dry. And, while I’ve restricted my sugar intake, one of us doesn’t have such qualms about sugar and has enjoyed the great flavor of this brand!