Eddyline Carribean vs Hurricane Skimmer

Can anyone compare these SOT?
I am most interested in speed and handling in rough water.

@string said:
Can anyone compare these SOT?
I am most interested in speed and handling in rough water.

I’m looking at 140s.

Raftergirl paddles an Eddyline Carribean 140 so maybe she will give some feedback on the speed and handling questions. So does BearRiver. There was a thread a couple of years ago when they talked about the Carribean’s handling: https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/1910405/lighter-sot#latest

I have a friend who has a lot of experience with both. He strongly prefers the Eddyline. I’ve not paddled either, but the pronounced keel on the Eddyline would give me pause. Not so handy for hitting submerged logs or rocks, but I’m sure it helps it track better and perhaps gain some speed with less corrective strokes needed. If you’re heading to my neck of the woods any time soon, I think we could arrange a test paddle of each.

I can’t comment of the Hurricane Skimmer as I’ve never paddled one. I started with a Necky Vector 13 (no longer made) and I’ve had my Eddyline Caribbean 14 for a year. The Eddyline is faster and tracks better than the Vector 13. The Vector was a little easier to spin because of the flat bottom, but I’m learning to carve turns anyways, so not a big deal. I’ve done a lot of multi-day trips with both kayaks, and the extra room with the Eddyline is great. There’s a ton of room inside for carrying gear, and access to the inside of the kayak is a lot better with the Eddyline. I find the seat area comfort better on the Eddyline. Finishes & fittings are top notch. I got mine with a rudder and I’m glad I did. Don’t use it all the time, but sure handy when I need it. The Eddyline is about 10 pounds lighter than my Necky so it’s easier to load on top of my SUV. The only down side to the pronounced keel on the Eddyline is that I had to modify my kayak cart with some extra foam to get a good fit. Not too much trouble to do. I could have gotten a different cart, but I like mine, so I modified it. I’ve kept the Vector to use as a loaner since it’s a really nice kayak that’s easy for people to paddle.

Rough water handling ------I had the Eddyline on Jackson Lake in Grand Teton Nat. Park back in September. We went for a day paddle to the other side of the lake from our camp. Windy conditions developed on the paddle back. The Caribbean felt very stable in the chop, and the rudder sure came in handy. I never felt nervous about it. These kayaks are designed for ocean fishermen, so they are stable while not being slow barges like some SOT kayaks can be.

I think Sissy has a skimmer String, not sure on the size.

@shiraz627 said:
I think Sissy has a skimmer String, not sure on the size.

Sissy has a 12’ that she’s selling but I’m too heavy for that size.

@tjalmy said:
I have a friend who has a lot of experience with both. He strongly prefers the Eddyline. I’ve not paddled either, but the pronounced keel on the Eddyline would give me pause. Not so handy for hitting submerged logs or rocks, but I’m sure it helps it track better and perhaps gain some speed with less corrective strokes needed. If you’re heading to my neck of the woods any time soon, I think we could arrange a test paddle of each.

Tom, soon might be April.

@Raftergirl said:
I can’t comment of the Hurricane Skimmer as I’ve never paddled one. I started with a Necky Vector 13 (no longer made) and I’ve had my Eddyline Caribbean 14 for a year. The Eddyline is faster and tracks better than the Vector 13. The Vector was a little easier to spin because of the flat bottom, but I’m learning to carve turns anyways, so not a big deal. I’ve done a lot of multi-day trips with both kayaks, and the extra room with the Eddyline is great. There’s a ton of room inside for carrying gear, and access to the inside of the kayak is a lot better with the Eddyline. I find the seat area comfort better on the Eddyline. Finishes & fittings are top notch. I got mine with a rudder and I’m glad I did. Don’t use it all the time, but sure handy when I need it. The Eddyline is about 10 pounds lighter than my Necky so it’s easier to load on top of my SUV. The only down side to the pronounced keel on the Eddyline is that I had to modify my kayak cart with some extra foam to get a good fit. Not too much trouble to do. I could have gotten a different cart, but I like mine, so I modified it. I’ve kept the Vector to use as a loaner since it’s a really nice kayak that’s easy for people to paddle.

My grandson loves my Vector 14.

Raftergirl, do you know what your max speed and cruising speed are in the Eddyline?

Sorry…I don’t know. I paddle on rivers in current as well as lakes, so conditions vary quite a bit. I’d say the speed difference between the Vector 13 and the Caribbean 14 wasn’t huge, but noticeable. For me, the biggest bonus points with the Caribbean were the ability to carry more gear with better access inside the hull, and the lighter weight of the kayak.

Thanks. I paddle with people who are speed and distance lovers. I may never be able to keep up but I’d like to try.

Stellar now makes 16ft Ski/SOT. It is a bit wider, than the S18S you owned.
http://www.stellarkayaksusa.com/S16S-surf-ski. They have rigged, so you can add a back-band or SOT Seat.

@Medawgone said:
Stellar now makes 16ft Ski/SOT. It is a bit wider, than the S18S you owned.
http://www.stellarkayaksusa.com/S16S-surf-ski. They have rigged, so you can add a back-band or SOT Seat.

R U the devil? Looks a lot like an apple to me.
A beautiful boat , but pricey. I’d have to paddle a ski awhile and make sure my back can handle it. Luckily, there is an Epic V-7 I can try.

Going to need a rocket , to keep up with Al, Pat and the rest of the Lake Hartwell crew. My father has an old Hurricane Phoenix 160 with a Tarpon seat back, he may part with. The Phoenix 160 is slow, like the Tarpon 160. But it is prettier. Good Luck with your quest. We may vacation up your way, this year. Hope to paddle with the Hartwell crew.

@Medawgone said:
Going to need a rocket , to keep up with Al, Pat and the rest of the Lake Hartwell crew. My father has an old Hurricane Phoenix 160 with a Tarpon seat back, he may part with. The Phoenix 160 is slow, like the Tarpon 160. But it is prettier. Good Luck with your quest. We may vacation up your way, this year. Hope to paddle with the Hartwell crew.

Make sure you let me know if you are coming.
I love my Tarpon, and unlike faster boats, it loves me back.

You’re a much bigger guy than I, but the Epic V6 is very efficient and reasonably light - 40 lbs and less. My wife paddles that boat much faster and farther in that boat and Han in any other boat she’s been in. She is an out of condition, rank amateur older paddler.

@Yanoer said:
You’re a much bigger guy than I, but the Epic V6 is very efficient and reasonably light - 40 lbs and less. My wife paddles that boat much faster and farther in that boat and Han in any other boat she’s been in. She is an out of condition, rank amateur older paddler.

When I get past recovery, one of the first things I’ll do is paddle a friend’s V-7. That should tell me what I need to know.