Eddyline Fathom??

Anyone have an Eddyline Fathom yet? I really like this boat, hopefully will paddle it tomorrow.

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Fathom
Search the archives and you’ll see a few postings about the Fathom. I just purchased this boat and posted a lengthy review on the product review section of this site.

Emanoh

Fathom
I paddled one today for about twenty minutes. I didn’t really care for it. YMMV. Only you can decide if you like it or not. I’m 5’8" and 195lbs. and the boat is too big for me. It is surprisingly slow for it’s length - slower than a Nighthawk 16. The rear deck is way too high for comfortable laybacks - ouch! It’s pretty good for rolling - except for layback rolls. The fit and finish is top notch. The outfitting is well thought out and generally good. The seat and backband were comfortable. It turns pretty well and is easy to hold on edge. It’s a farily radical design departure for Eddyline, but I like other boats in this size class much better. Again, YMMV. Try for yourself.

~wetzool

Wetzole…
Thanks, I’m just about your same size. What other kayaks have you found that fit well? I’ll be moving up from a Pungo 12’ and am looking for a more sea worthy boat. I’ll be paddling around the San Diego area for the next 4 years and then ???

Chris

I currently paddle
a Valley Avocet RM - although i have been told by one instructor it is too small for me :wink: You can’t beat Valley’s and P&H’s rotomolded plastics if you consider boat design and price point. Try the Valley Aquanaut RM and P&H Capella RM 166.

On the North American side for rotomolded boats try the Wilderness Systems Tempest 165 and maybe the 170. I also paddled a 165 yesterday and really like this boat a lot. Personally, I’m not too fond of the Necky Chathams, but try the Chatham 17.

These are all good sea kayaks. The Wilderness Systems Tsunami series are more cross over types, but handle pretty well and might work for you as well.

If you want to step up to really nice composite sea kayaks my short list of boats I would like to own include:

Tempest 165 Pro - awesome boat, especailly with the new KajakSport hatches.

Impex Force 4 - really sweet -(also paddled yesterday).

Valley Nordkapp LV - only paddled this boat for a few minutes last June, but it’s still on my short list.

P&H also has some composite boats worth looking at. I have paddled a Quest and Capella 163 and also the prototype Cetus. I was really impressed with the Cetus, but it is new this year and a little hard to find.

Another option is the Hurricane Tracer. It is a thermoformed plastic like the Fathom, at a very good price. I have paddled this a few times and it handles very well, although if you are built like me you will find it a bit tippy at first. Do not worry about how tippy it feels at first. It’s a boat you can grow into as your skills increase.

~wetzool

Nighthawk 16
I like that one too, hope they don’t get rid of it

Take this as a second-hand

– Last Updated: May-19-07 2:01 PM EST –

experience but today I paddled with someone who traded in his Nighthawk 16 for a Fathom. He says he traded a bit of speed for a yak that is easier to enter and more comfortable for a larger guy. He is well-pleased with the Fathom and claimed he was very comfortable with it in 4 foot waves on Lake Michigan.

Again- I have not paddled the boat but the workmanship on the Fathom looked outstanding.

Yes, the Fathom…

– Last Updated: May-19-07 2:18 PM EST –

After paddling several boats over a period of time I just kept going back to the Fathom and purchased one late last year. Everyone I know that has tried it finds that it's: fast, maneuverable, stable, holds an edge well and is good in different wind conditions. Its a fun boat to paddle and the quality is high. I don't think you can go wrong with Eddyline as a manufacturer. The caveat to this is that paddlers under 5'9 / 5'10 do seem to have minor problems with the high deck, especially the rear deck for a lay back roll. Sea Kayak Mag had a good review of the Fathom a couple months back that you may want to check out.

For me the high deck has its benefits, and the seat fits me like a glove and is very comfortable on long paddles and easy to get in. It is also fairly light, easy single carry. As stated by other posters... Only you can decide; paddle as many boats as you can before you buy.