Eddyline Journey vs WS Tsunami 145

Narrowed down to these two, quite different kayaks. As my spouse and I are new in this, would appreciate some wisdom! My specs: 6’4" 220lb, spouse’s: 5’9" 132lb.

We would like to have similar speeds so we can paddle together! Were we to go Eddy, it would be Journey & probably Fathom LV or maybe Samba. Get our wallets out! Were we to go Wilderness, it would be Tsunami 145 & 140.

Here are my questions:

1. How much more efficient would the Eddyline be over the Wilderness, due to Carbonlite versus Poly? Are we splitting hairs here, or is it significant enough to be subjectively noticeable? I am aware that other factors (length etc) factor in as well.
  2. People rave about their Eddy’s. Again, do these boats feel more responsive, nicer to paddle, etc over poly boats?
  3. We found the seats in the Eddy’s to be less comfy than the Wilderness Phase 3 seats (yes, Barcolounger gets it!). What’s your experience with Eddy seating?

Thanks in advance and we’ll take any advice you can muster!

Noel

Take 2 Fathom LV’s
Often, a couple wants 2 boats and wants the wife to comfortably be able to keep up. So get the wife or significant other a Fathom LV also. An equalizer: guy gets Tsunami 145, gal gets Fathom LV.

The sleek, narrow, Fathom LV is not in the same catagory as the short wide Tsunami.

Reviews for Fathom LV by Eddyline http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=2068

Reviews for Journey by Eddyline http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=2419

Reviews for Tsunami 140 by Wilderness Systems http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1442

for Tsunami 145 http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1477

Journey is unquestionably superior
As you say, these two kayaks are very different. The Journey would fit you well at your weight. One thing to check carefully is whether your legs and feet fit comfortably under the deck as the Journey is quite low at the front bulkhead.

For you, the fit will depend on your weight distribution, the type of kayaking you do (recreational or sea), and your personal comfort level. If the Journey feels too wide, try the Fathom—which has an entirely different, true sea kayak fit. But for a large person, the Journey IS a fully capable sea kayak.

You’re correct, the Fathom (regular or LV) or Samba would fit your wife better.

Replies to your questions:

1. How much more efficient would the Eddyline be over the Wilderness, due to Carbonlite versus Poly?

ANS: Much more, due to all factors: material, hull shape, length, width, weight. But considering only material, thermoformed is much more efficient than rotomolded.

Are we splitting hairs here, or is it significant enough to be subjectively noticeable?

ANS: Very significant. You will immediately notice the better glide with the Journey or Fathom, with the first paddle stroke.

2. People rave about their Eddy’s. Again, do these boats feel more responsive, nicer to paddle, etc over poly boats?

ANS: YES! Unequivocally. After owning an Eddyline, you will never be able to go back to rotomolded.

3. We found the seats in the Eddy’s to be less comfy than the Wilderness Phase 3 seats (yes, Barcolounger gets it!). What’s your experience with Eddy seating?

ANS: The same as yours. Eddyline seats are poor. Rip it out and put in something else. I strongly recommend the Old Town ACS seat. See reviews at http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=2629. I’ve been using this seat all season and love it.

Before you take out your wallet (since you brought that up), assess your commitment to kayaking, how important the various design features are to you, and what you can afford. If you can appreciate the qualities of a fine versus decent kayak, go with Eddyline. They are well worth the money. You should be able to find an excellent price right now.

One other kayak to consider if you can find one: the Delta 16. Small cockpit (more like the Fathom); very stable; huge storage capacity. Skip Hurricane (plastic too soft/thin).

If money is a problem, look for a used Current Designs Kestrel 140 TCS—but only if you are a recreational kayaker as the cockpit is humongous and the yak is 26" wide.

Any more questions, send me an e-mail.

quite a difference
in models! The Fathom LV is quite different (in potential performance, in hull, etc) than either of the Tsunamis or the Journey for that matter. The F-LV is the only real seakayak of the bunch, the others are the everpresent category of daytourers aka transitional boats. (Nothing wrong w. that either).

A man that size is not gonna fit in an LV. The full sized Fathom, yes. The woman would fit the Fathom LV well.

Are these your first boats? You’re new to the sport?

OK, if it’s just between these two - spare your wallets - get a couple of Tsunamis used and if you stay with it and want more performance or want to push your skills, trade up later. Tsus are very popular & you’ll recoup damn near your initial outlay.

That will leave you $$ for very good PFDs that really fit both of you, and very good paddles. Don’t skimp on the paddle…

If you like Eddylines

Eddyline boats are indeed quite nicely built and finished. They are quite a bit more costly than other thermoforms. Since they will depreciate 40% in value a month or so on the water, you would get more bang for your buck going used (either Eddyline or Tsunamis) and have money left over for other gear, a rack system, paddling clothes, lessons… or just healthier bank account.

IMO you are narrowing down to very dissimiliar styles before pulling the trigger. Could suggest a number of others to try (biting my tongue) but will honor your request.

Based on what you’ve posted, get a couple of used Tsus and have fun out there!

Tsunami or Tempest
Personally, I’m a fan of Wilderness Systems boats and I have to disagree regarding how noticeable the hull material will be when paddling. Not very in my opinion. Hull shape has a much bigger impact. Instead of the Tsunami, consider the Wilderness System Tempest: http://www.kayakreview.org/go/tempest170/

Journey not a transitional kayak
It was designed to be a full-fledged sea kayak, capable of handling any water.

choices
The difference for the kayak in poly vs carbonlite for the average paddler is not worth considering. The more important issue is useability. Get the more comfortable kayak, you will use it more often. If you are paddling with the wife, match her speed, use a paddle with a smaller blade, practice rolls while she catches up, the reality is she may be the better paddler and you will have trouble keeping up, Good luck, John

call it what you will
there are threads about the marketing bs aspects of categorizing boats.

And defining what a “daytourer” or “transitional” model has only further clouded the waters, esp. I generally do not like to use either term, but there are so many boats that are more than a rec boat but less than a full-on seakayak that some terminology is needed.

at 24" the Journey is very wide. The vast number of seakayaks are 22" or under, with many at 21" or 20", and even narrower w. certain SOFs and Greenland hulls.

The 24" hull presents a wide surface to wave action - thus less secondary stability. That extra surface also makes it more difficult to pivot on a wave, or carve on a narrower edge for turns. Much like a Tsunami.

The Journey and a Tsunami are much alike.

They are well rigged & sport dual bulkheads & thigh braces. Capable boats for most waters, but they cannot be paddled up to seakayak performance, esp. in conditions. A seakayak, conversely, can be paddled down to the conditions either could handle.

Anyway, the OPs are new to the sport. I doubt they are headed to the open ocean yet.

Thanks
Many thanks to all for your opinions and information. We are leaning towards WS roto boats as it is our first exposure to owning a kayak or two. We have only rented or borrowed in the past. I have to say after seeing the Eddyline product I can see there would be some pride to be able to paddle in something that nice. The roto boats look to me like melted baby bottles with colorant!

But as a practical matter, sure it makes sense to me to give these much less expensive (esp used) boats that will get us out on the water and see if we truly catch the fever. We love getting out into the light wilderness areas. Thanks again,

Noel

Sea Kayaker review
There is a review of the Journey in Sea Kayaker that sheds some light on the Journey’s handling characteristics. http://www.eddyline.com/wp-content/uploads/Journey_0809.pdf

Some quotes:

“LJ noted “secondary stability was

very good. I could get the coaming in the

water and still felt very secure. I had the

boat almost completely on edge and felt

like I could leave it parked like that all

day.” For SR “secondary stability is even

better and allows easy control,” and GL

“moderate, feels quite secure.””

"It was really fun carving turns. The

Journey responds very quickly” (LJ). SR

agreed “this boat is a blast to turn and