Eddyline Kayak - Is it good for a new kayaker?

Looking to move up from my very rec 12 foot liquid Logic. Looking to go into something 13 or 14 foot with a little more ability to get into the Bay and coastline. Was wondering about the capabilities of the Eddyline Sandpiper 13 or the Equinox . I know that I might be better looking at Sitka, just not sure I am up for that yet. If size matters 5’11’ 220lbs.
Thanks

Welcome!

Eddyline makes good boats. But for your size and intentions (bays and coastlines) I would not buy any kayak less than 14 feet long…

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Something like the Equinox or
OldTown Castine 140/145?

Sitka.

You’ll get used to it in no time (and you won’t be tempted to upgrade…again…for a long, long time).

2 Likes

Right now you are enetering a good time to buy used. I think buying a relatively current skeg boat used is a good bet. They will be easier to sell if you decide to try something else.

I would add a Dagor Stratos 14.5 to your list…

1 Like

I have not paddled any of the Eddyline kayaks, but have friends who like theirs. So my opinions are rather nebulous.

The Eddyline Equinox is a rather wide (25" beam), short sea kayak. It does supposedly weathercock somewhat and has neither rudder nor skeg to compensate, so must be corrected by paddling technique. In less windy conditions the weathercocking would be less.

An earlier reader suggested the Sitka. The Eddyline Sitka (ST, LT, and XT according to length) versions are somewhat narrower (e.g. the LT version has a 23.5" beam, still a bit wide). The Sitka versions have a skeg, suggesting that you are less likely to grow out of the Sitka as quickly as the Equinox.

It is useful to paddle a kayak before purchase. If you are not familiar with kayak paddling, this is less informative. A new-to-kayaking paddler will typically find the kayak “tippy”, a sensation that goes away with a few hours as you loosen up. At the very least you should sit in a kayak for a while to assess its comfort.

At least two bulkhead and static deck line, e.g. sea kayak features if you want to go coastal. I doubt the Sandpiper is it.

I have not paddled a Sitka but it does have the desired features.

If in waves l would not want less than near 16 ft. The shorter ones are a PITA if you get into anything bigger.

Also narrower, 22 at most 23 inches width.

1 Like

Sandpiper is a rec kayak. Costal
go Sitka XT

It should fit your size decent I suspect.

The Sitka XT (formerly “Denali”) is a lightweight “performance fit” kayak for the larger paddler. It maintains the same performance DNA as the Sitka ST, but scaled-up with abundant foot and leg room.

Looks like name change only to me.

We have a Denali. Very roomy kayak, you might find you are not in good contact, but it was nice for a beginner, very predictable and not tippy at all for us. It does tend to get pushed around by the wind a lot, at least for us, might not do that so much if loaded down. We do not use it anymore, and will probably sell it.

We have moved on to two P&H Cetus MVs, and they have exceeded our expectations. Seem to be great all round kayaks, so easy to push through the water!

1 Like

I have an equinox that I’ve passed on to my daughter and now have a Sitka XT (I’m 5’10" 235). My wife has a sitka LT.
The equinox handles the bays and coastlines and is incredibly stable. But it needs more work and technique. Not suitable if the waves get hairy.
The Sitka handle like a champ and the skeg is a notable addition. Handles anything I’ve thrown at in large bodies of water.

1 Like

I have rented Eddyline kayaks from Anacortes, WA to paddle the salt water in the San Juan Islands. I was impressed by their boats and planned to buy one until I eventually gave up on kayaks and went back to canoes. Sea kayaks were 15-18feet in length for a long time. Now they are shorter, but length gives you speed, carrying capacity and some stability in waves.

An Eddyline Samba (now known as the Sitka ST) was my second kayak. Paddled it on Lake Michigan and had no issues with waves or windage. Still have the boat, although I haven’t paddled it in a couple of years.

I really need to get it off the wall, clean it up, and take it on a local river. Fun boat to paddle.

LOL
Lets see… last year I bought two more kayaks.
This year two canoes and a new kayak… Yep. Won’t be buying any more. It’s not a sickness or anything!

1 Like

As other commenters have suggested, the Sitka would be a boat you could grow into. While more stable, chances are you would quickly get bored with the Equinox.
A point no one has made is the relatively light weight of the Eddylines. Between 45 and 50 lbs. for these boats. A comparable boat with a composite layup might be lighter, but it will be at least double the cost.

1 Like

@Rookie, you know, if that Samba is just collecting dust, my wife would love to take it off your hands… :wink:

Every once in a while I think about selling it, but then I’d be without a shorter playful boat that weighs only 42#. :cry:

Plus, I’ve done some surgery on it, removing the back rest and pillar. Want to see if I can install an IR Reggie backband

My wife and I bought Eddylines after using Wilderness Systems and Perception kayaks - She has the Skylark (12’), I have the Equinox (14’). We’re lake/slow water paddlers, but we love them.
I was considering the Sitka for the Skeg because I had wind issues with the other kayaks, but the Equinox tracks so well that even in (some) wind and chop, there is really no reason for it.

I’m not the guy who puts the Equinox thru its paces, but I know the manueverability, straight-tracking, easy gliding, light weight is better than other kayaks I have been in. In terms of stability, they’re maybe a little bit side-side tippy compared to the WS kayaks, but much more stable than some of the others, like Perception.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, For I what i am looking to do and after trying several models I am going to the Dagger Stratos 14.5L. No one kayak is perfect but it will do enough things to keep me happy. Thanks again. Enjoy your paddling

1 Like