Eddyline Merlin LT/ Lincoln Quaddy Lite

Now that I’ve kind of decided to get a shorter ~13’ boat, I want somethin that I wont outgrow or immediately want something better. But I want to initially stick to inland waters, protected bays, lakes, flatwater etc. I’ve checked out these two Kayaks as well as the Necky Tikani and was wondering about opinions on these two Kayaks. I’ve checked the reviews, the archives and got some decent info. I do have a question is how on earth does Lincoln get their Quaddy Lite to be so light? It’s advertised as 30lbs which seems lightyears lighter than any other composite boat that I’ve seen. The Merlin LT is advertised as 42lbs. Would the Quaddy Lite be really thin or perhaps real fragile or perhaps they are guilty of almost every mfgr of sporting goods out there? A little leisurely with their weights?

Anyway, any opinions of these two kayaks for the beginner but a fast learner?

…and yes, I will obviously test paddle them and take lessons once spring comes. 5’5" 130lbs, small paddler here!

Jay

Quoddy Lite
The Lincoln boats are very light weight but still very strong. I have seen the owner of Lincoln stand on the front deck of his kayaks to prove the strength. Not admittedly, he is only about 150 lbs but still. They use a vacuum process that keeps the weight low by having just enough resin pulled through the mold.

I’d test paddle both boats that you are interested in. The Lincoln is a pretty good value.

Chris

Quoddy Lite
I was just looking at the Lincoln kayaks. Don’t hear much about them. A local dealer has the Quoddy lite on sale for $1000. He has a few Lincoln Kayaks on sale. Interested in any comments these boats.

Having Never Paddled

– Last Updated: Jan-16-04 11:40 AM EST –

either, I would still think that Merlin LT will fit you better. Why? You're a small paddler (as I am) and the Merlin with a 23" beam and 12" depth will fit (or can be with outfitting) you better than the Lincoln ever would with the 25" beam and 14" depth. And, if you're a fast learner and are into and/enjoy skills development, you will find the smaller Merlin boat much more conducive to that then the Quoddy lite. The Merlin is designed much more to be a "day touring" boat which will encourage the skills development as opposed to the "rec boat" design of the Quoddy with it's primary focus on being a stable platform.

You should know I am biased towards lower volume fitting boats for more athletically/skilled inclined paddlers. But, I have a right to, having gone through about 8 boats in my three years. :) But everyone has to figure it out on their own.

sing

Cindy loves her Merlin LT…
… and that’s from a person who always asked the rental guy for the most stable kayak in the fleet, and preferably one with a rudder! Now she has a (relatively) small boat with NO rudder or skeg. She’s been out in some fairly choppy stuff in SF Bay, done surf launches, and handled some stiff breezes with very little weathercocking. She has no problem entering/exiting the cockpit, either at the dock or during wet exit practice.

Her model is seven years old, so there are some design and material changes since then, but those are apparently all for the better (hatch covers are supposedly improved…)

Guess this all adds up to a “thumbs up”!

Glenn

I thought the Merlin Still Too Big
I tried out the Quoddy & the Merlin LT. Forget now why I ruled out the Quoddy, I think it was because it really performed more like a rec boat. Anyway, I ended up ruling out the Merlin as well because it was too wide for hip control and ended up with the Night Hawk.

I also tried the Tchaika which was very nice. I had reservations about not having a front bulkhead, but if you don’t, I suggest trying it.

Lou

I Guess Some Relativity Involved

– Last Updated: Jan-16-04 10:07 PM EST –

I went from a Pamlico to a Loon 138 to a Capelookout. The first two are clear "rec" boats -- short and wide. The Capelookout at 15'x23.5"x13"(or 14" deep) I was able to pad out and made to fit me so I can lean and edge. That was the boat I first learned to roll and scull in.

The Merlin LT reminds me of the Mariner Coaster with it's swedeform (more width in front) and short length. Like the coaster (I would hope), it's balanced enough to not need a rudder and/or skeg to keep from weathercocking. It doesn't seem to have as much rocker and will probably act as a better tracker vs the "playfullness" of the more rockered Coaster in waves and rocks. It also would mean having to learn to lean/edge to do faster turns.

You would have to be a really, really big guy to lean/edge the Quoddy Lite.

sing

Depth…
Thanks, so perhaps I should look for boats with a 24" max beam then. I also saw the Impex Irie and added that to my list, which is growing larger every day. That’s a 13.5’x24" boat with a “mid-ship height of 13” (Not sure if that is different than depth, or perhaps that is saying it is measured from the center of the boat?). Anyway, how does the depth affect the handling? Less displacement of water when floating would make turns easier?

Jay

Depth
is what measure from the bottom of the hull to the a plane on or near the deck. The problem of comparison is that the front deck (in front of the coaming) is higher that aft deck (what comes after the coaming). Midship deck would be somewhere in between the two.

Depth increases the volume but doesn’t necessarily affect the steering capability directly. Boats with more rocker are easier to turn then boats without rocker. However, a boat with greater depth will result in sitting higher in the water and more affected by wind. If the “trim” (or balance of weight distribution of the load – you and gear – in the boat) are not distribute right, then you will have weathercocking (turning into the wind) or leecocking (turning away from the wind). Cocking means more corrective strokes and/or lean/edging to maintain course. Higher depth in the boat, for a smaller guy like you, means you’re further away from good contact with the boat (the thigh brace, or underside of the coaming) and will make leaning/edging difficult if not impossible.

If you looking at Impex, you would fit better in the mystic or sea breeze (same boat, difference being in hatches). Those two are fine boats for smaller paddlers and still have plenty of initial stability (feeling stable just sitting there on flat water) for the beginning paddler. I actually have the plastic mystic which I like alot (though a tad bit slow for ocean touring).

sing

BTW, I am 5’3" and 140lbs.