Eddyline Skylark vs CD kayak Kestrel 120 R

I am new in kayak and I think I will play in the lake only in Ontario. Could you anyone give me some suggestion regarding the mentioned kayak I consider to buy?
By the way,I am 53 and 5.6ft tall. Thanks!

Unless there is some very limiting factor, I would strongly suggest you add a couple of feet to your quest. I think you would soon tire of paddling a short boat. Of the two you mentioned, the Kestrel might take a bit longer to get bored with.

Thanks! Magooch,do you think I should choose 14feet kayak? There is Eddyline Equinox and CD Kestrel 140,which one you choose if you are going to buy?

Unsure if your intentions are to paddle Lake Ontario or inland lakes in the Province of Ontario. If Lake Ontario, both boats you mention are recreational type kayaks, and really don’t belong on any Great Lake unless always paddled close to shore.

This link explains different types of kayaks and their best use: http://www.paddlesafely.com/kayaks/

Lessons with a qualified instructor would also be helpful in making your choice.

You should try out any boats that you might be interested in. Try out some longer boats, but be very aware they will spoil you for shorter boats.

@Rookie said:
Unsure if your intentions are to paddle Lake Ontario or inland lakes in the Province of Ontario. If Lake Ontario, both boats you mention are recreational type kayaks, and really don’t belong on any Great Lake unless always paddled close to shore.

This link explains different types of kayaks and their best use: http://www.paddlesafely.com/kayaks/

Lessons with a qualified instructor would also be helpful in making your choice.

Thanks very much! The website supply us a lot of useful information. The key point to me is I can not use recreational kayak to the center of Lake Ontario. So I will keep use very basic kayak this summer and buy a touring kayak next year. Thanks again!

@runwell530 said:

@Rookie said:

Thanks very much! The website supply us a lot of useful information. The key point to me is I can not use recreational kayak to the center of Lake Ontario. So I will keep use very basic kayak this summer and buy a touring kayak next year. Thanks again!

That is a good way to start.

@runwell530 said:

Enjoy your summer, take some lessons so you can learn how paddle well and to self-rescue yourself if necessary, and be sure to ALWAYS wear a life jacket any time you’re on the water. A father and his 4 year old daughter drowned today because neither were wearing life jackets or were dressed for the water temperature.
https://wrbiradio.com/2019/04/05/father-daughter-drown-in-kayak-accident/

BTW, not sure why anyone would want to paddle to the center of Lake Ontario. It’s 70 miles wide and there’s nothing out there but water, wind, and waves.

I started kayaking last summer… got a deal on a 10’ sundolphin Aruba. Loved it so much, ended up snagging an even better deal on a Kestrel 120. I wanted a longer bit that was still easy to move around and transport… I currently don’t have the space for a 14’ at my house. I’ll be using it inside some interior lakes and a slow moving river this summer.
The Kestrel has great reviews, and it’s rated in the “performance end” of Rec kayaks.
Super solid build, and I’m pumped to get oot there again.
I’m 6’1” and 210. You’ll fit fine in either boat, but I’d also recommend the Kestrel.

@Rookie said:

BTW, not sure why anyone would want to paddle to the center of Lake Ontario. It’s 70 miles wide and there’s nothing out there but water, wind, and waves.

I do mean far from the shore. Sorry to let you misunderstanding.

One difference and maybe an important one.
The Kestrel 120R has one bulkhead and the Eddyline has two.

I had a Kestrel 120R and it was a fine boat. I now have a Kestrel 120 composite that has two bulkheads and perimeter lines and I feel a more competent boat.

runwell530
If I understand you correctly, offshore in Lake Ontario, second what Rookie and others have said.

Maybe neither boat you mention. Two bulkheads, perimeter line and at least a couple of basic lessons.

@Celia said:
runwell530
If I understand you correctly, offshore in Lake Ontario, second what Rookie and others have said.

Maybe neither boat you mention. Two bulkheads, perimeter line and at least a couple of basic lessons.

Thanks! I do go to have some lessons at our local canoe club this summer.

@grayhawk said:
One difference and maybe an important one.
The Kestrel 120R has one bulkhead and the Eddyline has two.

I had a Kestrel 120R and it was a fine boat. I now have a Kestrel 120 composite that has two bulkheads and perimeter lines and I feel a more competent boat.

Very important point. I took my ACA L1 in an Eddyline Skylark and was able to do a paddle float rescue because of those two sealed bulkheads. There were a couple paddlers in boats w/o two bulkheads who were not allowed to try it.

That CD Kestral you have is a nice boat. Especially the weight.