Effort put into paddling - Less is More?

Seat time
As Clyde said watch the elite paddlers. And the more time you spend in the boat, the better you’ll get. Take a GPS along with you to monitor your speed. I always do and I’ve developed a pretty good stroke and yesterday I did 12 mile paddle at an average of 5.0 mph in an 18 foot sea kayak. Not too shappy for a 61 year old.

Take the time to watch this…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVTxMuwI4_U

thats solid andy
I’d be stoked and I’m half your age. Keep it up.

Ryan L.

Check out the Number of 60+ Year Olds
That did the U.S. Surfski Champs this year in S. San Francisco. I believe it was a 60+ year old that won the short course division?

Anyway, you’re motivated and should be ready for next Summer’s Blackburn Challenge?

5.0 is easy for that distance
It’s when I am killing myself trying to maintain a 5.8 that I realize what the OP is talking about.

I remember ten years back when I could maintain 6.0

We don’t get older. We get slower!

Jack L

Jack
You are a god among men when it comes to paddling. Your QCC is faster than my Artisan Millenium, and I agree that as I’ve gotten older I’ve slowed down a bit. I’ve not paddled as much this year as I did last year and am not in the same shape I was for those long endurance paddles I do. Work has interfered! Once I retire…

And here I thought you were in an
Epic 18

Jack L

But in my surf ski…
On flat water I can maintain 6.2 mph for a good distance with some spurts beyond 7.0. Best I’ve ever managed with the Artisan Millenium was two years ago doing 24 miles in 4 hours and 20 minutes.

Easy paddling
Put another way, canoes and kayaks are displacement hulls. They push the water out of the way when going forward. There is an exponential increase in resistance based on hull length.

14’ perception illusion
i regularly do a loop that is about 6.82 miles.

(unfortunately not a GPS distance. used runtrackr.com)

my best time 1 hr 22 min. which comes to just under 5mph (4.99)

For me it will be tough to beat in that boat.