El cheapo spare waterproof gloves

Although I own a pair of Glacier precurved and warm waterproof gloves, I have to get used to their different feel on the shaft, and then get re-used to bare hands when spring arrives. Consequently, I avoid paddling until weather is warm enough to avoid using gloves.

But today was one of those maybe-gloves, maybe-not kind of days, and the water was still cold, with an ever-present cold wind. I tried something I’d contemplated but never tested: thin synthetic gloves inside thin, disposable vinyl gloves. (The knit gloves cost $1, BTW; the disposable vinyl gloves come in a box of many pairs, at any grocery or hardware store.)

And ya know what? This combo worked nicely. Air temps about 50, stiff breeze from the N/NW, mostly cloudy. I even stuck my left hand in the water accidentally, and even so my hands stayed comfortable just because the wind was blocked and there was that thin liner glove for a bit of insulation.

I would not recommend these for long paddles, outings with immersion expected, or for routine wear. BUT I am going to tuck a set of them in my paddling “kit” for times when I didn’t think gloves were necessary so did not bring the heavier-duty gloves.

Interesting. I have a few pair of Smartwool liners that I used under my Glacier gloves, but I have no dexterity with the Glaciers. Don’t have vinyl gloves; only a big box of latex. Wonder if they would work as well.

I bet latex or nitrile would work, but the latex might be more prone to tearing.

If you haven’t tried open fingered gloves for warm weather paddling–as opposed to bare hands, you really should give it a try. I used to paddle bare handed all the time–except winter–and then my wife bought me some open fingered sports gloves. What a huge difference it makes. It protects the backs of your hands from sunburning and the palms from callousing.

For winter, the best I have found are Thinsulate waterproof. They’re really not waterproof, but close enough and the price is very reasonable.

I’ve used regular rubber ‘kitchen’ gloves with thin polypropylene gloves (locals call 'em ‘kittens mittens’) under them…works reasonably well. If you can get the ones used by fish plant workers…they’re a bit heavier and come up to about mid-forearm…you can roll the cuff back to form a dripring. I had a couple of pairs of fine merino wool liner gloves knit a few years ago, and use them regularly under my neoprene gloves with the pre-curved fingers. Even if the gloves soak through, the hands stay warm…

I use sailing gloves with open fingers and water at Lat 31 or below.

@VK1NF said:
. I had a couple of pairs of fine merino wool liner gloves knit a few years ago, and use them regularly under my neoprene gloves with the pre-curved fingers. Even if the gloves soak through, the hands stay warm…

Happily discovered that in November/December, although I’m fumble fingers with the Glacier neo gloves and have to take them off to get my skirt on. The merino wool liners combined with the open fingered gloves Magooch mentioned also work pretty well when its chilly, but not quite really cold.

Recently was gifted a pair of Neff Ripper surfing gloves. Lined neoprene with a synthetic palm covered by silicone. Supposedly seals out water. Will test them, maybe this weekend if the weather godesses are in a good mood.

@VK1NF said:
I’ve used regular rubber ‘kitchen’ gloves with thin polypropylene gloves (locals call 'em ‘kittens mittens’) under them…works reasonably well. If you can get the ones used by fish plant workers…they’re a bit heavier and come up to about mid-forearm…you can roll the cuff back to form a dripring. I had a couple of pairs of fine merino wool liner gloves knit a few years ago, and use them regularly under my neoprene gloves with the pre-curved fingers. Even if the gloves soak through, the hands stay warm…

I like that idea. Reusable and more durable, and longer wrist cuffs to roll back. Will keep my eyes open, but I doubt that CO has fish plants. The local ranch and farm supply stores might have something along those lines, though.

Sealskinz does something similar and they’re good gloves.

I used to wear a pair of Sealskinz gloves. They had good feel on the paddle shaft. I got rid of them because they took forever to dry even when turned inside out. Plus they were difficult to turn inside out. They REEKED if drying did not follow perfect course. The smell was far worse than that of neoprene, like a combination of garbage and cat pee and unwashed socks.

My Glacier gloves don’t smell if washed with soap and dried inside out.

@pikabike said:

… The local ranch and farm supply stores might have something along those lines, though.

Yes, we have a combination farm-supply/hardware/clothing store here that has a glove like that, usually sold as chemical-handling gloves. I sometimes use them when doing tests on fresh concrete, and they are indeed tougher than dish-washing gloves but still very supple, and they go up nearly to the elbow. I think one of the better styles I’ve seen of this type of glove are sold by Wells Lamont. Speaking of Wells Lamont, all this winter and the previous winter, the gloves I’ve been using for concrete testing are also made by that company, and much tougher but still quite supple and have a warm, comfy lining. The ones I use have a fit that’s too loose for paddling, but smaller sizes might be an option.

I’ve always liked the Wells Lamont gloves I got for nonpaddling uses. Their products are durable and reasonably priced.

@pikabike said:

@VK1NF said:

I like that idea. Reusable and more durable, and longer wrist cuffs to roll back. Will keep my eyes open, but I doubt that CO has fish plants. The local ranch and farm supply stores might have something along those lines, though.

If you know a vet who deals with farm animals, that’s worth a try…