Elaho & Chatham 16 fit

Different fit for different folks…
Many people rave or curse the fit of different boats, and other posters are correct about spending time in a particular boat. I absolutely love my Avocet, so I am biased toward it over the C16. With that said, my initial impression of my Avocet was that it was the most comfortable boat on the market. However, after spending time in it I noticed things that needed improvement. I have since replaced the backband, modified the seat, and built-up the thigh braces. My point? All boats will need some level of modification to make them perfect for different paddlers. Also, I’ve never had a single problem with the skeg on my Avocet. If your looking for greater adjustability out of the box, you may consider taking a look at the Wilderness Systems Tempest.

Easy, there

– Last Updated: May-17-05 2:06 AM EST –

No, my mind isn't made up. Yes, I'm still leaning toward the Chatham, and yes, I'm still hesitant to order sight unseen. I really was curious about how the Chatham fit compares to the Elaho fit, and the comments about differences between the two are significant to me. OTOH, I don't have anything against tweaking the cockpit setup to make it work better if I need to do that.

This discussion really isn't about testosterone, I hope. I value speed, too. I'm guessing most of us do. But it's one of several performance parameters, and right now I'm looking to fit a set of parameters in which speed is not at the top of the list. Nothing wrong with multiple boats, right?