End of Spring Whitewater - Otter Brook

The May release at the Otter Brook Dam is usually the end of my spring whitewater season. Always sad to see it come, but it is a nice way for it to end.

Easy rapids on the upper section

Otter Brook is an easy class II that runs through Keene, NH on it’s way to the Ashuelot River and ultimately the Connecticut River. From the huge Otter Brook Dam, the river twists and turns though the woods down to Otter Ledge – a 2-foot drop that is usually run through the shoot on the right.

Otter Ledge

Shortly after that, Otter Brook merges with Miniwawa Brook, which adds to its flow and provides some nice wave trains for the remainder of the run.

Approaching the take out

We did our first run with a group from the CTAMC – 14 boats, 2 canoes. That run took two hours. Paul and I did a bomber run for our second run – 40 minutes.

Few more pictures here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/albums/72157666601467327

Good news is that there is still summer whitewater - Thursday night runs on the Farmington at Tville, and dam releases on the Deerfield, and I would love to get back up to the Dead in ME this year. :slight_smile:

Looks like a good, relaxing run.

It was fun. I’ll be back up north this weekend - camping trip on the upper Connecticut River. Still pretty cold up there at night - may bring my winter sleeping bag.

@eckilson said:
It was fun. I’ll be back up north this weekend - camping trip on the upper Connecticut River. Still pretty cold up there at night - may bring my winter sleeping bag.

Went up to up state NY to pick up a Hornbeck. Came through southern VT yesterday morning on RT 30, parallel to the West River. Steady rain coming down. Saw some openboaters and kayakers running the annual release. But, way less than I would expect for the annual spring release.

sing

@sing said:
Went up to up state NY to pick up a Hornbeck. Came through southern VT yesterday morning on RT 30, parallel to the West River. Steady rain coming down. Saw some openboaters and kayakers running the annual release. But, way less than I would expect for the annual spring release.

sing

No shuttle on the West in the spring, so you need to carry down the face of the dam, which is a real pain. There was also stuff running in the Whites this weekend in addition to the Otter Brook release. The Fall release on the West gets a bigger crowd.

What did you get for a Hornbeck boat?

eckilson - it’s fun to see your paddling venues…very different from around here. Right now I don’t own a Royalex boat but I sure would if I lived in your area. It’s also nice to see an active group of experienced paddlers.

@TomL said:
eckilson - it’s fun to see your paddling venues…very different from around here. Right now I don’t own a Royalex boat but I sure would if I lived in your area. It’s also nice to see an active group of experienced paddlers.

Thanks - I have my composite WildFire on the car now for a few nights on the Connecticutt River. Should be moving pretty good, but no rapids. Hopefully it won’t be too cold at night.