EPIC carbon vs fiberglass

is there a real speed difference from the epic 18x ultra layup to the performance layup. besides being faster in the initial acceleration , once speed is achieved is there a speed difference in average speed over a 5km, from what I have seen the gap from the rudder to the boat on a ultra is much tighter compared to the performance witch I have,water gushes out on my boat at high speeds and does not on the ultra

in certain conditions
in downwind conditions a lighter boat lets you accelerate and catch more rides which adds up to a faster average speed. In regular flat water cruise, there will be a bit less wetted surface with the lighter boat which makes it faster. It wouldn’t be much though.

always faster
Given same shape with an exception for depth in water for keeling during A to B courses across tide and wind cross flows.

Many similar questions spring from a static perspective of conditions as the hull accelerates to a given speed.

Truth is a static condition does not exist. Acceleration, deceleration are constant.

Load moves forward with your energy, lighter load requires less.

Your Epic ? try a strip of ? tape as a shshroud covering the intake ?

basically this
2nd this. less mass accelerates more quickly so catching waves is easier. also this would be advantageous at a race start. Or if you have to portage your boat. the skin friction reduction from a slightly lighter boat is miniscule as he says.

one place where a lighter boat can be a detriment is for beginner or intermediate paddlers moving down a notch into unstable boats like elite surfskis or k1’s. physics show that a 20 lb ski accelerates almost twice as fast as a 36lb ski As it relates to the pitch, yaw, and roll of the boat. ( not forward speed acceleration, pitch, roll and yaw acceleration I mean).

some people will buy the same boat in a lighter layup to practice stability, our will buy a heavier layup of an elite boat when first getting used to it.

there is a good article on surfski.info about this. pretty interesting stuff.

the amount of weight difference
Would be negligible given its in a bouyant environment. Its great for carrying if from your car to the water though. I guess.

EPIC carbon vs fiberglass
not sure what you mean by taping

never
saw an Epic. I do enjoy the ads, the ads effectiveness, and off course Freya’s Omnibus.

Your complaint is fabricating your model left a gap between hull and rudder mechanism where in paddling spouts a water jet of wasted energy ?

On super exotic megabuck racing cars the problem is dealt with a contractors grade or better…as I have not access to exotic tapes…see 3M for rolls at 90 bills…

taping of the offending seam/space.

the only rule is not taping over BUDWEISER

in your case tape the lead side allowing the stern side…your paddling forward ?..to float not taped to the rudder mechanism.

then try that taped to both bow and stern sides.

BTW, how are you seeing this malfunction ?

are all models of your hull doing the same ? look the same ?

Don’t agree…with caveats.
I just responded with this to another post…

My understanding and I think the general consensus in the surfski world is that it matters more in flat water than say doing a downwind.

In flat water since there is basically nothing dynamic going on its all about squeezing out every tiny bit of speed threw efficiency of stroke and potential boat speed and that’s about it. Over thousands of strokes the little acceleration advantages a lighter boat has will give you a faster boat over distance. In a downwind it’s not as much of an advantage as there is so much more going on and the difference in boat speed because of weight ( within reason) is the way down on the list of things that matter. Stability, efficiency of your stroke in the bumps and surfing ability all make way more difference that those two layup differences as long as we are not talking say a 45 lbs boat vs a 22 lbs boat

So, I would consider is only a slight disadvantage to be in say an V10 proformance on a good downwind and if it’s big maybe not a disadvantage at all with the extra stability. But in flat water I consider it a significant disadvanted.