Epic Small Mid Wing?

So I took Brent Reitz’s class on the Forward stroke Yesterday and got to try out a Epic Mid Wing for a bit and really liked it. The Small Mid was recommended to me (140#). Has anybody paddled it? Thoughts, suggestions, advice (on try others)? Thanks.

-Assad

Good For You!
for not getting hung up on one paddling style. :slight_smile:

Your other alternative could be Pat/Onno who makes wings and can probably make you the right size since he is more of the “go fast” camp. You have to be able to stand the wait though…

sing

small wing
You could also look at the quickblade proton, cheaper than an epic and a bit smaller than the mid, higher turnover rate, softer catch

Small Mid-Wing
I have an Epic small mid-wing that I’ve been using for about a year and half. It is full carbon with the burgundy (more flexible) shaft.

For me it has been a great paddle. I’m not huge (125ish) and the paddle never feels cumbersome or like it is pulling too much water. I use it for everything from racing to expedition touring and love it. Last year I did a 35 mile (±) paddle with it and felt great at the end of the day.

It is my understanding that there isn’t too much difference between the small mid-wing and the regular mid-wing. I also have used a regular mid-wing and can’t say as I can really tell a difference just in a short paddle.

as always, “it depends"
Is your goal to workout hard, perhaps to race? In addition, what is the resistance of the hull?

IMO, it is all about gearing for speed and distance.

The difference between the mid and the small mid will not be nearly as a 5cm length difference.

If the length is appropriate, then I would consider, in order of importance, the resistance of the hull, distance to paddle, and speed (especially how close to hull speed you think you will be paddling).

In my flatwater K-1, I still use a large blade wing, but I usually don’t workout for more than 5-10 miles, usually at a high speed. In a boat with more resistance (surf ski, narrow fast sea kayak, or expedition type sea boat), I never use the large wing, I go to the mid (I am 6ft, 200lb, and still quite strong, despite my age). As the boat increases in resistance (by width, or by weight), I shorten my paddle.

How does this relate to the small mid? There is a smaller difference between the small mid and the mid, compared to the mid and large. So again, length will make a bigger difference.

Paddling a boat less than 20”? Paddle close to hull speed? Paddle short to moderate miles? Get the mid. Using a boat 21"-23"? Paddle long distances? Paddle a at a moderated speed? Likely you would be happier with a small mid.

Not asked for, but one thing about the Epic wings is the design. Compared to wings of years past (more twist, often the blade is raked), the old complaints about limited function is, just that, old. Epic wings (and many other current models) can be used for rolling (sweep roll almost cheating!), stern draws, draws, sweep strokes, and even bow rudders (still a bit funky on that last one). Check out Sean Morely in TITS 2- he is paddling a very stiff,19" hull boat in a narrow slot in fairly rough water, and is using a wing to control the boat quite nicely.

My wife got a small mid to workout with, but wound up using it for multi day trips. This, in 3-4m swell, Force 5 wind, and a fully loaded boat. She tried her old paddle one day during a trip, and put it back on the deck. BTW, she is only 5’2", 100lb, but likes to go fast.

Hope this helps.

Karl

Assad, not too much difference
between those two. As per our conversations a while back and your existing condition, I woulds still suggest something smaller. My Smaller Endurance Race Wing 18" X 6" is a more realistic size for folks paddling sea kayaks and not being over geared. Pains me to see people using those big blades when they would never ever even consider a regular paddle of the same surface area … so the wings ARE that much more efficient and the smaller sizes are what you will eventually see more of in the Non-race kayak world once more people become aware that there are options.