Epic v7 as first boat ever?

The Epics are “cheap” because plastic.
The V7 and V5 are plastic, rather than the usual light weight composite, which is why they sell new for just over 1/2 price of a new V8 or V10.

The V5 may fit yor wife better than V7.
Less boat for the smaller paddler to keep moving at a good cruising speed than the longer V7 and should feel quite efficient to her.

Even though the max beam is 23.6", the waterline width with her weight in it will likely only be about 21".

I’m 160 lbs and don’t sink my V6 to the max beam, which helps the boat to be efficient and have a bit of reserve stability.

She should try both the V7 and V5, if possible.

Lots of bad info and opinion here!

– Last Updated: Apr-02-16 3:29 PM EST –

Boy this thread is crazy! Lots of people giving wrong information and opinionating without ever paddling a surfski and then trying to steer the OP to a sea kayak.

I will tell you what I think about the V7 and rookie-paddling one, having owned one since September of last year and paddling it A LOT in everything from lakes to rivers, bays and the Gulf of Mexico and surfed waves as well.

I won't get into all the specs, materials, etc. since that is widely-available. I just want to address the points brought up.

Let's get the V5 out of the way. I really don't see the point of that boat. I don't know why Epic even bothered. The thing is three feet shorter and more than two inches wider, yet weighs and costs almost as much as it's bigger sister--a difference of only four pounds and $50! Does it make any sense to go for a V5?

The V7 seat is simply luxuriously comfortable and ample, but as they say, your mileage may vary. Everyone's butt is different. I have paddled more than 20 miles without any problems with no back support. If you paddle with proper form, without slouching, you won't need back support.

Remounting is a breeze and you have handles on both sides of the cockpit to help you with that as well as carrying the boat. A cowboy remount is easier than some of the more popular surfski remounts you see on YouTube. And no, there is no need for perimeter lines or anything of the sort.

Surfskis are wet rides. If you don't want to be wet all over, get a sit-inside kayak.

The fabric hatch cover is the one big flaw on this boat. Yes, it will fail if a wave breaks hard over it, and yes, the boat will flood if that happens. However, Epic has improved the boat for 2016 by adding a hard hatch cover that goes over the fabric one to protect it from imploding. You still have to tighten the fabric cover properly, which is not really easy to do and can be messed up. There is a video that tells you how to do it, but Epic could have done a better job of providing instructions.

You can retrofit this hard cover on the 2015 models. I was told the new cover kit will be available beginning this month and will cost $80.

The other thing they did to improve the situation was to install foam bulkheads fore and aft of the hatch. This reduces the amount of room you have to stow away stuff, of course. In the 2015 there are foam pillars that run longitudinally fore and aft, which allow you to stuff things on either side of them far forward and behind the hatch, but of course, will allow water to flow freely throughout the boat in case of hatch cover failure.

Stability is rock solid. The V7 is the most stable surfski I have ever tested. I can rock the boat from side to side without bracing until I'm dipping the edge of the seat in the water and the thing won't go over. That's how stable it is. How you feel on it will depend on your experience level, obviously.

All in all, I have enjoyed the boat tremendously, on all kinds of water and with both the surf rudder and the plastic kick-up rudder. If you can lift 50+ lbs. you will like this boat.

Apologies
Consider me slapped. I did not know there were handles. Something solid to hang onto matters, what it is less.

Unmentioned, unless l missed it, all of this dialogue is happening without input from someone the size of the OPer’s wife. A much smaller person from the above description than the guys here. Add in the possibility of being tired. Is the V7 as apt choice in terms of handling? Does the scale of the boat risk leaving her more tired in the case of repeated remount than a taller guy.

And most of the discussion above accounts for a paddler getting back onto their own boat unassisted. If there is an issue out there that means assistance is needed, say some disorientation from seasicknesd or a shoulder issue for a capsized paddler, do surf skis provide the helper in their boat the kind of support that is available to someone in a SINK?

I am not trying to be a hard arse. I am mentioning situations l have come upon myself or directly known someone who hss. Usually a mile or more offshore because Murphy is not into making things easy.

If you’ll put the timei in, its great

– Last Updated: Apr-03-16 10:49 AM EST –

ignore the fact that its a surfski. Just ask, is a 21.5" wide kayak good for a beginner? Many beginners will struggle somewhat with a 21" kayak. However, this will depend on a lot of factors.

If you have generally decent balance, that will help a lot (did you snow or water ski, play hockey, slack line, rock climb, or anything else that takes some balance? that will help.

Are you generally athletic? I pick up sports generally quickly and outgrow boats relatively fast. Im analytical and mentally break down a repetitive motion sport like paddling to focus on my technique, and understand what my boat feels like under different conditions, then try to predict situations. If you wont be paddling much or dont care to think about the mechanics of paddling much, a 21" boat will be harder to master.

Basically, if you will paddle frequently (2+ times a week), you are somewhat athletic, and are willing to fall in a couple times without becoming frustrated, the V7 is fine. This isn't a boat only the top 10% or 1% of paddlers can handle regardless of how scary some people make it sound. It was introduced as an entry level surfski.

Test paddle it if possible and decide yourself, but I think its a reasonable boat for an ambitious new paddler.

Also, I agree with everything Canucka said above. That's a good assessment of the boat.

surfski rescues scenarios
Here’s a few surfski rescues I’ve been involved in either as swimmer or rescuer.

I’ve been assisted in remounting in hawaii with rebounding 8 footers coming off the cliffs. Got knocked out of the boat and couldn’t remount. This was a rented ski in my first 6 months of paddling and first real offshore ski paddle. It’s easiest to just grab either end of the swimmers boat and steady it. Most new boats have handles on both ends and some have side handles next to the cockpit.

Back deck swimmer rescue is also possible with some practice. The swimmer has to stay glued to the back deck.

I’ve also rescued someone too hypothermic to stay upright with another paddler on the other side. This was in 25 kts of wind and 4-5 foot wind waves. Victim just sat there. We paddled with one foot in our own foot well and one foot in the victim’s foot well to stay rafted up.

There’s also the option to paddle feet out. Which lets you stay upright in practically any conditions. I often kick my feet out if waiting in windy choppy conditions.

It does take a bit of upper body strength and a good kick to your center of gravity over the center of the boat but no harder than getting out of a pool. Modern surfski remounts are WAY easier than paddle float or cowboy self rescues. 6-10 yrs ago surfski cockpits had narrow high sidewalls which did make remounting much harder. Modern skis are very easy to remount.

Question for you, nickjc
Say you’re paddling with a friend who’s in a sea kayak. Your buddy capsizes and needs help getting back in his/her boat. Would a surfski work with a T-rescue?