Epoxy clean up after sanding ?

and spreading a new coat of epoxy question.

What is the best to use on a tack rag for getting the epoxy sanding dust off the bottom of a canoe prior to refinishing it, ( talking about a ultralight with just a epoxy coat over kevlar)?

Acetone or lacquer thinner or something else ?

And would you use a small 6" long roller to spread the new coat of epoxy, or brush it on?

Jack L

Acetone or lacquer thinner or something else ?

I have used denatured alcohol for
the final clean wipe before applying epoxy.

That was the recommendation from the designer when I built my s&g, and I have done that for repair touchups.

Also I cut a short nap foam roller into thirds and hot glue a stick handle onto a piece. I use that to apply the epoxy coats for instances like you are suggesting.

Jeff

Don’t use Acetone
It can actually desolve the epoxy resin if you use enough of it.

If all you need to remove is sanding

– Last Updated: Aug-22-10 9:26 PM EST –

dust, a water dampened rag will do just fine. Adding a bit of ammonia to the water will help to remove any remaining blush, while your at it.

You can use a foam roller to apply another layer of epoxy, but tip it off with a foam brush or a spreader made from a section of roller. If you don't tip it off, you are likely to be left with an orange peel like texture and also the possibility of small air bubbles.

Marc Ornstein
Dogpaddle Canoe Works
Custom Paddles and Woodstrip Canoes

Hi Jack Call me if you like !

Jack, I have not removed the dust with
anything other than a dry rag. What is left behind will quickly combine with the next coat of epoxy. Chemical residues can do funny things with top coats and a freshly sanded surface is a great bonding layer. I had issues with my skin boat when I used epoxy with a roller. I got tons of little air bubbles. West later told me than these could have been removed with an alchohol spray ( I think that is what they said). You can call West System tech line anytime for great epoxy advice. They essentially invented its use in marine applications. Bill

I use lacquer thinner or…
…denatured alcohol for cleaning. Both will remove residue or oils without harming the epoxy.

You can apply the next coat with a brush or an EPOXY roller (such as those from West Systems), but you need to keep it thin, as epoxy has a tendency to flow. Paint rollers hold too much epoxy, which causes drips and runs, and they tend to create a lot of bubbles, so avoid using them. Even with an epoxy roller, you may have to tip out bubbles. For best results, roll slowly and don’t use a lot of pressure, as that tends to drive air into the epoxy.

Easy
First, I vacuum the dust off. Follow up by wiping with a damp rag. Let it dry thoroughly before applying the next coat.

Thanks all
Lots of good advice here

Jack L