Epoxy ? For Brit Boat

I have a 1997 North Shore Buccaneer that when you open the hatches there is a styrene smell. I know that dynel cloth is often used in some of the British kayaks. I have left over MAS epoxy and silica from a stitch and glue build I did from which to make a fillet.

My question is will this adhere will enough to reattach the cockpit rim to the cockpit. Or do I need to use a different type of epoxy.

I contacted North Shore from their web site several weeks ago, and haven’t received a reply. Valley bought them out a couple of years ago if I recall correctly.

So any help here would be much appreciated.

Should work. Was that Dynel cloth, or
Diolen? Dynel is used outside because it wears so well under frictional atress. But it isn’t a wonderful structural cloth.

Diolen is polyester, sort of a poor man’s Kevlar. Fairly tough, stretchy, works best with vinylester resin, but works quite well with epoxy.

Diolen
I think that might be right.

Thanks ez I kind of figured the MAS would work, but did not know for sure. I like the boat and have had good service from it. Handles rough water, has good speed, and surfs fine.

A diolen source.
http://www.swicofil.com/diolen.html

No matter what it is…
…3M 5200 will work.

epoxy and vinylester
I have no idea what type of resin your boat was constructed with, but the odds are fairly good that it was vinylester.

I have used epoxy to do repairs on composite boats constructed with vinylester resins made by a variety of manufacturers and have had no problems. I have used West System epoxy most often, but have also used MAS with good results. Even if the boat was constructed with polyester resin it should work.

I have no experience with Diolan but have used a good bit of Dynel. There has not been any styrene smell associated with the Dynel cloth I have used.

Anything you want to bond should be thoroughly sanded until you see fibers. To bond a cockpit coaming back on, I would use epoxy “glue” made by thickening the epoxy with silica powder and lay a smooth fillet over the joint. But if the area of damage is extensive, I would back it up with cloth on the inside of the coaming.

If the curvature of the cockpit is not so sharp as to prevent it from laying down, 2" wide fiberglass tape might work for this. The selvage edge will prevent fraying and it is fairly inexpensive.

I do plan to mix a thick epoxy fillet
The rim and combing are intact and undamaged. It looks like the old epoxy? just became brittle. I plan on removing all the old stuff as it chips off without too much effort, and appears different than the material of the rim and boat.

I have not found the 3M goop to soak
into glass, diolen, Kevlar, etc. It’s a wonderful patching goop, but not a substitute for thin West 105/205 . Even West G-flex soaks into cloth better.

I thought I would update y’all
Job all but done. Thanks for the info. It you are interested in how this went down I am posting a language censored account to the discussion forum titled "Misadventures with MAS, or les Miserables!.