Erin go Bragh!

As we head into spring, may the road rise up to meet you. :rainbow:

My corn beef is going into the slow cooker tonight. Cabbage, carrots and potatoes go in tomorrow morning. :slight_smile:

Celebrating Beantown culture! :beer: :beer: :beer:

sing

4 Likes

An Irish tale of the sea and such:

Try about 11:28 - 18:10

2 Likes

Had a great traditional “boiled dinner” this evening. Given I still have work tomorrow, I’ll save the Guiness and Jameson for tomorrow evening – a TGIF and St. Patty’s celebration rolled into one.

Happy St. Patty’s Day!!! :shamrock: :shamrock: :shamrock:

sing

4 Likes

An urrain dhut peadadh gu brath.

1 Like

As long as I am healthy and able. (Hope I translated your blessing right!) :pray:t4: :ok_hand:t4:

sing

1 Like

No corned beef & cabbage here this year but I did make a loaf of Irish Soda Bread.

1 Like

Hmm… Might need to go find some of that. With St. Patty celebrations postponed for the past two years, Boston is pent up for a big one. I think we are in the midst of a “four-day weekend” that started yesterday. LOL!

sing

Well, I’ll leave that ‘entertainment’ to you - if you so chose. The covid years have nothing to do with my strong lack of desire to hang around a crowd of drunks. Especially on an “amateur” weekend.

It is easy to make if you would like, here is the recipe I use:

Irish Soda Bread (I forget where it came from)
Yield: One loaf

4 cups flour (can use mixture of AP and whole wheat, half & half works well)
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tblsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 stick (4 Tblsp) butter
1/2 lb raisins
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or use 3/4 cup regular yogurt + 3/4 cup water; or 1/2 cup Greek yogurt + 1 cup water)
1 large egg
1 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 F
Grease and flour 10 inch round, or 9x5 inch baking dish/pan.
Melt butter.
Plump Raisins: Pour boiling water over raisins, to just cover, and let stand for at least 5 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pour melted butter into dry ingredients, stir, then rub with hands until mixture is the consistency of coarse cornmeal. Drain raisins, and stir them into flour mixture.

In a separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, egg, and baking soda. Add liquid mixture to the flour mixture, and work into a soft dough, adding more four if needed. Knead about 1 minute, until smooth. Place dough in pan. Using a sharp knife, cut a cross across the top, 1/2 inch deep. Bake at 350 F, 70-75 minutes, until the loaf tests clean, is browned, and feels hollow, internal temp should be 180F. Let stand 10 minutes before removing from the pan.

Notes: The ratio of liquid to flour is very forgiving. I mistakenly added twice as much liquid once, then added enough flour to make a scrapeable batter, and it came out fine.

1 Like

Thank You! Will have to give it go. :smile:

sing

Well, truth be told, I am more in line with your sentiment. I finished work a little early today. With sunny skies and 70 degree temp, decided to go check out the beach break. Beautiful. Small lines of waves beginning to show.

We got rain tomorrow and more waves. I am going to celebrate by imbibing and getting doused in ocean energy, likely on my own.

1 Like

I used the recipe from Fanny Farmer - much simpler:

• 4 Cups Flour
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • 1.0 tsp baking soda
  • 2 cups Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 375 F
Mix dry ingredients
Add buttermilk & mix with a fork until combined
Turn out & knead for 30 sec.
Pat into an 8" round & slice a 1/4" deep X on top
Place on a greased baking sheet
Bake for ~50 minutes
Cool on a rack

When cool wrap in a slightly damp towel for 8 hours before serving.

1 Like

Does Erin ever go braless?
Old men want to know, as long as Erin is young.

That is some beautiful coast you have down there. And with the weather today, it must have been wonderful!

Coastline envy. LOL!

I think NH has nice coastline, albeit only 13 mile facing the ocean (but with good publicly accessible beach breaks). I am lucky to be very close to two (publicly accessible) local breaks on MA’s 192 mile coastline. But, I envy the variety of ocean venues of RI’s 40 mile coastline. I am just going to ignore ME since it would swallow up RI, MA and NH combined. (Also too long of a drive for me.) :confused:

String, String, String…

The ever expanding list of unanswered questions that “old men” entertain… Here is one possible answer (From WD’s “Frozen”):

Let it go, let it go
When I’ll rise like the break of dawn
Let it go, let it go
That perfect girl is gone
Here I stand in the light of day
Let the storm rage on

The building wisdom as we age is in letting go of the useless questions. LOL!

sing

Saved. I’ll have to try this. Doing corned beef and cabbage next week. My s-i-l made a tasty Irish Stew with Guinness for St Paddy’s Day.

1 Like

I enjoyed the last of the corn beef for lunch today. :slight_smile: My two sons and their significant others, both half Irish, finished theirs much sooner!

Unlike everything else in the grocery store last week, the chunks of corn beef and heads of cabbage were on sale. My wife bought and cooked enough for the three families.

Now, have to give my arteries a rest from the cholesterol onslaught. LOL!

sing

1 Like