Esquif adirondack

I was wondering if anyone here has paddled one of these boats. Im looking for a solo canoe that would be lightweight. I paddle mainly slow moving rivers and small local lakes. Im not looking to go racing but i have some friends that own kayaks, nobody really paddles hard we are just out to hang out and relax and maybe do 3 or 4 over night or two day trips 3 or 4 times a year.

The price of this boat sure is nice. The rivers here are slow and can be pretty shallow in spots. So do you thi k this boat would suit me or should i just soend the extra mi ey on something like a wenonah wilderness or northstar northwind solo?

T-Formex is not a particularly light construction material for a canoe. The canoe is light because it is very short.

A 12 foot canoe is not likely to be fast enough to easily keep up with most kayaks nor will it have much carrying capacity for gear for overnight trips.

I would pass and look for a decent used composite solo canoe 13.5 feet long or longer.

Its a day tripper. Too short especially when you consider your legs occupy at least three of those feet. And because it lacks volume if you overload it it sinks very low in the water and will be slower yet and less maneuverable.

There are pack canoes that are 13.5-15 feet. The SpitFIre by Placid Boatworks came out first in a 12 foot version but overnight campers spoke and a few years later a bigger Spit came out at 13.5 feet.

Well i guess ill start looking for a wenonah wilderness

Are you looking for a oack canoe or a traditional solo canoe?
The Wilderness is only one out of dozens of traditional seating solo canoes

I just want something relatively light under 16 feet long that i can use for small lakes and slow moving rivers, the largest local lake is about 1600 acres not counting lake erie. I plan to carry anywhere from 50-100 lbs of gear including a yeti cooler if it fits in the boat. Im about 6 feet tall and weight 235 lbs.

Scads of canoes that can carry 350 lbs but you will be looking at a minimum 15 feet. Kneeling or sitting?
Here are some examples ( and it is helpful to know where you are in some cases. Wenonahs are harder to find here)… And a budget.
Hemlock Peregrine
Swift Keewaydin 15 Prospector 14 perhaps ( its a wider deeper hull)

Northstar Canoes :Phoenix, Northwind Solo

I agree. With your size and anticipated load you should look for a solo canoe of 15 feet length or longer. If you want light weight that pretty much rules out Royalex or T-Formex.

I would not focus on looking for a specific make and model that you will likely never find as there are scores of boats that might fit your needs. Look for a used composite solo canoe of that size range from a reputable manufacturer such as Mad River, Wenonah, Swift, Hemlock, Sawyer, Nova Craft, Bell, Northstar, Colden, etc.

I have a local dealer that sells wenonah and has a wilderness in stock. Im also willing to travel 5 or 6 hours but i live in PA. Not much around. There is a place in Harrisburg that has a few northstar canoes but the only northwind solo they have is a bit out of my price range at like $3600. I only 0lan to paddle sitting

I might be interested in letting a Prism or Magic go… I’m in Lorain, Oh I’m not definite about it but I haven’t paddled either for a few years. The Prism is kevlar,… the Magic is white gold… just ysaying…

I would be looking for $800 for either one

Both would be excellent deals.

I tend to agree…when I say I’m not definite about them it’s cause they definately can’t be replaced for the price… I’ve been wrestling with the have 'em don’t use 'em but having them vs. not having them…and might
want to put them to use again… they’re both 2003 models, but well taken care of…I actually have CCS full cover for the Prism I bought from Bowler about 10 years ago that was brand new but never installed it. Bought all the hardware from Dan and still it sits… I mostly paddle a Hemlock Kestral now if not in my Valleys out on Lake Erie or a wildfire for some rivers around here.

OH… and Dave Yost signed the Magic(and my Wildfire) Was a participant at many Allegheny andcoopers lake stuff

and if the OP and you can’t work out a deal I hope that the Western Pennsylvania Solo Canoe Rendezvous that CV19 curtailed will be back. Its a long standing event for solo canoeists. There are a lot of canoes in PA. ( dealers maybe not so much)

Alot of really good solo canoes. The event is at Coopers Lake in June.

But they both sound like good choices: the Prism or the Magic. I am a bit partial to the Magic.

I have not owned either a Magic or a Prism but have paddled both on more than one occasion. Of the two I also have a slight preference for the Magic since it seems to turn a bit easier with its differential rocker and it has a more efficient length/width ratio (7.5 as opposed to 6.7 for the Prism). But they are similar boats and either would it the OP’s needs IMO.

The Prism will handle a larger load, however. Bell listed the maximum optimal load for the Magic at 160-280 lbs. It will certainly handle more than 280 lbs and remain seaworthy but with 235 lbs of paddler and 50+ lbs of gear you would be starting to give up some efficiency. But if you absolutely need a boat no longer than 16’ the Magic will fit that bill (just) and the Prism will not.

I forgot about the solo canoe rendezvous, that is only like 45 minutes from me. I think im just going to hold off and see if they hold the event this year. Ill just keep putting money away until then.

Ya, I think Prism is 16 1/2 ft. I think it carries a bigger load but isn’t manuverable like the Magic. I haven’t camped out of either one for 5 or 6 years, but I enjoyed them both at the times being used. I do need to sit so they’re both great options. Last season, I tried taking my GermanS.H. pointer{re-homed) and it didn’t work well in both boats on a local lake…I don’t think it will ever will at this point. So it’s keep 'em or not. I’m still not probably ready to make that decision…

I test paddled both those. The Esquif was very small and tight. Super light and would take some getting used to for me. The Wilderness has an strangely high front stern that acted like a sail. It would catch the slightest breeze and would loose track.

I own a Hornbeck pack canoe (built in Olmsteadville NY) and it’s the best thing I have done for myself in years. I had to talk myself into the investment, but you will have it for life and never ever go looking for your next boat. Just one woman’s opinion.