Euro paddle-Greenland paddle--hand

yum
seal blubber.

Now you know that I would never consider anything like that don’t you…

Look over there!

whack

P

Beale paddle and homemade
while I plan to purchase from Mr. Beale, apparently I have found a woodworker who is out looking for a good piece of cedar to make a paddle and a storm paddle for me. It is an interesting project for him so he won’t charge more than the cost of the wood and sanding materials…

Be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Paul

Interesting to see…
Cool! Sounds like a good deal. Has he ever seen a GP?

Nope but…
apparently he is quite the accomplished woodworker.

I gave him this link which he was really grateful for also

http://www.superiorkayaks.com/superiorkayaks012.htm

click on the Kit paddle making video link

it shows an abbreviated view of the blank that Superior sells for 135. Hardly seems worth it if you can get a solid finished one for 150. Must be because it is laminated?

Anyway, at least it gives him an idea…like I said, I am not expecting much…but it won’t cost me much either.

Paul

Superior’s "blank"
Is a nearly finished paddle. Requires only minimal shaping/finishing.

Newfound Woodworks also offers a blank - but theirs is just a blank. Outline cut only - still full thickness slab otherwise.

The link you should be giving him if you already haven’t is:

http://www.qajaqusa.org/QK/makegreen2.pdf

yep
that is the one I printed up for the guy. I went over the sliced comparisons of paddle shape and loom shapes pretty extensively.

the video is cool because you can see the thinness of the paddle and overall shape.

We wil see. not really expecting much so I don’t get dissapointed. Besides if it turns out all right, then of course I will have to give it to Vera and get one for myslef aren’t I? Don? Don? where are you?

Paul.

fwiw
I have a cricket designs (http://www.cricketdesigns.com/) greenland (20" loom), while my girlfriend has a 19" loom and a storm paddle. I also carried a throwing stick which I’ve used for hand rolling (until it got broke!). I also paddle a euro mega-blade (Werner Ikelos). The greenland is very versatile for strokes: high angle, low angle, high cadence low cadence, long stroke short stroke; and is also very comfortable on the hands, wrists, shoulders. I found loom length does make a big difference: the 19" felt ‘not quite right’, but 20" felt really nice - the visual difference is almost inperceivable.

You too?
I have a Beale laminated GP that is 84" with a 21" loom and 4" wide blades. I also have a Foxworx (formerly Camp Paddles) two piece with a carbon ferrule (84" w/19"loom) that I haven’t even used yet.

However, am also (mostly) using a Werner Ikelos and I am torn between which one to use. The Beale/Foxworx are easier on my body parts during paddling, but prefer my Werner in rougher conditions where more bracing is needed. Just have trouble feeling secure with the GP I suppose.

But then, it sure is nice to have such choices!!

4" blade?
Not that I know what I am talking about but isn’t that a bit wide for a GP?

Paul

Custom Beale Paddles
Yes it is wider than what I mostly see out there - which is 3.5 - 3.75" width. I wanted more bite and a slightly slower cadence. Thats the beauty of getting a custom paddle made by someone like Don Beale.

Note: I have seen wider GPs though…

Upper end maybe
I’d consider 4" big - but not an unusual size. Lots of variety.

For me 4" would be too much and would kill my stroke. Too much like a euro - which defeats the purpose. Mine’s 3.5 - and next one will be narrower (3 1/4, 3 1/8, 3…?). The narrower ones I’ve tried feel very nice and opened my eyes to the possibilities of really skinny blades. Try something around 2.5 and you’ll get a different feel for how a GP can work.

There are people who like (or at least have experimented with) really long GPs too. 90s - 100… Some traditional paddles from certain regions are long for various reasons - but with Greenland types I think you get less performance going much longer or wider that the usually sizing methods indicate.