European vs. Greenland

I understand the value of
GPs and that they certainly have very few limitations…For me…I wouldn’t carry one if it was given to me. I’ve used them time and time again and can never seem to find the attraction in it…

But then the ‘stick’ doesn’t suit my type of paddling.

But, fact is - its proven. Period.

My point too.

– Last Updated: Jan-08-08 7:03 PM EST –

"Point was just that certain styles and habits can limit the experience with a GP and subsequent opinions."

Yup.

"But a GP can be used in so many ways - and a quick textbook CtoC really isn't using it to best advantage - at least not for comparing a GP to euro in general."

Yup. Those skinny sticks are quite versatile!

Anyway, it's no harder to do a C-to-C with a GP than it is using a Euro (though, it's possible that a Euro might work better in aerated water).

Spare GP
The spare GP fits nicely on the foredeck. Tuck one end under the deck line way up at the bow. At the other end lift a bungie or two over the paddle (near the cockpit). Slide it to one side where it’s out of the way and you’re good to go. I practice rolling upside down; retrieving the paddle from the deck, then rolling up with it.

Waterford!
When I was finally able to afford a nice bike I wanted a Waterford. The local dealer talked me into a Land Shark. The Waterford has the beautiful lug work and the Land Shark has the knockout custom paint scheme. They both can be built to fit a non-standard body type.

Hope you get lots of miles in after retirement. (A co worker just retired and rode his bike across the US!)

Yup, still $40 in 2007
The $40 is for the wood and labor for the blank.

I asked Don if he would consider selling blanks for $40. He said no way, he’d never keep up with the demand. I should have followed up with, “how about $60 or $80?” One would still save approx. $100 and the carving is pretty straight forward after the blank and especially after the class.

Paul

To each his or her…

– Last Updated: Jan-08-08 9:41 PM EST –

I didn't know what a GP was until a few months ago, I saw a couple around and paid little attention then one was offered to try. It's not like you can get a feel for it in five minutes and I was left thinking "what an oddity"

My next go at it was for about two hours with a little instruction and something clicked, I didn't know what until I paddled the remaining mile with my old euro paddle. I now hate my euro paddle and am on a waiting list for a GP.

It's not that I will switch completely, I needed an upgrade on my euro paddle and will buy a better one sometime in the future to complement my new GP. I also hope to add a wing paddle at some point and may end up with a paddle rack in my truck to carry my plethora of paddles.

The best thing about paddling is I will never know enough to close my mind to any new or very old tool or wisdom from others.