Ever cleaned out your paddling gear box?

Mine is pretty big and is in my truck bed. Takes up a fourth of it.
I was looking for a spare strap and it was, of course, in the bottom. I discovered stuff I didn’t know was there like a complete set of clothes, some NRS booties, and 2 quick dry towels.I am ready in case I fall in.
Most of it went back in, to be rediscovered on some future date.

I’ve mentioned this in other threads, but most of my gear lives in a laundry basket for portability. When I trip, I add another basket for my camping gear. The main basket gets full of sand, dirt, and various plant matter on a regular basis so emptying and cleaning it is probably done every couple months or so.

I try to hang all of my stuff on an indoor clothes drying rack to dry after most paddling sessions to avoid mildew and mold.

I use a plastic laundry basket too (and a dish pan for wet or muddy shoes). While it’s obviously far from water tight, the upside of the basket is that it doesn’t weigh much and I can see just about everything that’s in there.

I use clear plastic storage bins for, camping, cooking, kayaking, and canoeing.

I use a large mesh duffle bag. Often found in dive shops. Funny you mention cleaning it out. Last trip in the Okeefenokee, I decided to look in the large pocket and see what I had stashed in there. I found a large bag of trail mix, just a couple of weeks past the “sell by” date! Score! :smiley:

Deep in the bowels of my yellow drybag,
where I used to reach as a tail did wag,
I recently retrieved in its cellophane crush,
that which often stilled my stick-fetcher’s rush.

How gladly he did swim to shore,
some rapid-rider I’d tossed once more,
to shake himself and stick in grin,
and bark his beg, “Throw it again!”

Then after what seemed a hundred out,
where he’d barked at bubbles and circled trout,
he’d return to me and my riverbend stand,
to give me that look - “C’mon! Where’s it man?”

Fumbling fingers past fire starter and light,
pinching past duct tape to bottom jammed tight,
I’d grab packaged stack of his peanut butter pleasure,
eight Lance’s one-by-one he chomped orange crumbs piled up in measure.

that to still my other thought and bring the river hush.

@tjalmy said:
I use a large mesh duffle bag. Often found in dive shops. Funny you mention cleaning it out. Last trip in the Okeefenokee, I decided to look in the large pocket and see what I had stashed in there. I found a large bag of trail mix, just a couple of weeks past the “sell by” date! Score! :smiley:

My wife and I have at least 4 of those large mesh duffles. The problem is they’re all full of scuba gear. :wink:

It’s a good idea though.

that to still my other thought and bring the river hush.

I know this hush drilling of other thoughts. The poignant joy and tragedy of life, felt in a small bit of trash, or empty bowl.

Flotsam, you been drinking?

Drilling was ment to be stilling.

I have a large dock box about 6’ x 2.5’ x 2.5’ packed, then paddles in the shed I don’t use stuff I first bought with the SOT, then more stuff in the garage like bungees, hog ring pliers, stuff to do glass work, parts for Current Designs kayaks. Crazy I need to really consolidate it and organize it. Just bought some 1/2" solas reflective tape yesterday only to find some today in a box.

I found the GREY THING!

Was there a mirror in the bottom? >:)

Good one Jetsam!

@castoff said:
Was there a mirror in the bottom? >:)

Looking down the deep well where a light now barely glimmered,
past crustacean pre-Cretaceous where molten Earth first shimmered,
through great darkness and all quarkness I reflected on Grey Thing,
and how the hell I cranked-up well per my life of pulling String?

He started it! B)

I’ve got a bunch of the tall “swiss cheese” type double handled plastic laundry totes that are perfect for schlepping gear (the ones I found at Big Lots are taller than the one in the link and have a more substantial handle). The solid bottoms keep drippage and dirt from wet stuff contained but the airflow helps it dry quickly. They are tall enough to hold two-piece paddles without flopping over. Since I have loaner boats and gear I store a set of paddle, PFD, pump, small drybag and skirt in each tote so I can just grab one and know everything needed is in there for each boater. I have tall shelves in the basement that these can line up on – easy to see what is in each one through the big holes. https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/starplast-tall-flex-laundry-baskets/3241863