Ever Heard Of "XPadition" Kayaks?

-- Last Updated: Mar-03-09 7:00 PM EST --

I'm looking at an inexpensive ($450) used touring kayak called the XPedition Voyage X, but can find no reference to it on the web. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Tom

???
Are you sure that’s spelled properly?

craigslist indianapolis?
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1035603431.html

Is this the listing? There’s contact info at the bottom of this listing, as well as a note that the company is probably out of business.

This the boat?

– Last Updated: Mar-03-09 9:27 AM EST –

From Craig's list - 8 FT XPADITION SEA KAYAK, VOYAGE X, HANGING IN MY GARAGE. PURCHEASE 3 YARS AGO FROM SOMEONE THAT WON IT IN A CONTEST. TWO WATER TIGHT COMPARTMENTS AND ALL COVERS. MEASURES 18fT X 21 inches NO RUDDER IS ON THIS MODEL BUT AN AFTERMARKET RUDDER CAN BE INSTALLED SERIAL # KXA00018F. $450.00 FIRM WILL DELIVER FREE 25-MILE RADIUS.

Xpedition Kayak Inc. - Xpedition Kayak Inc. is a wholesale manufacturer offering FREE shipping and 50% off SMRP on orders of 3 or more kayaks. www.xpeditionkayak.com Sara Jensen-Terry Otting Owners (309) 762-9000 Xpedition Kayak Inc. 1424 14th Ave. Moline , IL 61265
NOTE: THIS COMPANY MAY BE OUT OF BUSINESS.

There are pics too - rotomolded boat in a blue two-color fade and a deck compass still vaguely attached.

To the OPer -
From the pics it is really 18' long and likely 21" wide. That, and the hull upside down, look like a go straight-fast boat that may not be too kind to a newbie in terms of staying upright. Or could be a great way to learn how to kayak, quickly.

What are you looking to do with a kayak and what's your background?

Xpedition…
Yep, that’s the boat I’m looking at. I saw the ad last night but couldn’t find anything on the web. I’m a novice-intermediate paddler looking for something to cruise lakes and a calm Lake Michigan in. I realize that 18’ is a bit long, but the price intrigues me. Just looking for some info on the quality…

Thanks,

Tom

price
You shouldn’t have trouble finding a used plastic boat around that price range, IMO.

I don’t think an 18’x21" boat with no rudder is the right fit for what you describe wanting to do, so personally, I’d suggest looking for other deals.

What About A CD Breeze?
Thanks for the reply, Nate. The other Craigslist boat I’m looking at is a CD Breeze. It gets great reviews on this website, and the price is close. Do you know anything about this boat?

Regards,

Tom

sorry
Nope I don’t have direct experience with CD boats, although many are. At least with that one you’re dealing with a known product, and you can get some good reviews and advice on here.

here is the wayback machine’s info:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.xpeditionkayak.com

Indy non-boater
I contacted the owner of this nice looking, nice sounding boat a month or two ago by phone. I expressed interest and asked the history of the boat and if it had a hull / serial number since I had never heard of Expedition Kayaks before. All my snooping led me to an outfitter in Australia where the current owner stated the previous owner(winner) had roots. As far as I could tell by the photos I saw, Expedition Kayaks was emblazoned on the cockpit cover or skirt, not on the boat itself. I really wanted to determine the age, manufacturer, and model of the thing before I drove 6+ hours to look at it for a friend of mine. The guy said he’d take even less if I’d go for it, and said he’d look for the numbers. A half hour later his son called me back, cussing at me and raised the price back up for their inconvenience. The two of them know nothing about what they have in their garage and have really poor salesmanship. I’d be really cautious dealing with these two idiots. It may be a great deal on a decent boat. Maybe someone local who knows a little could go check it out. Then maybe a real paddler could go free it from its unwitting captors. It’s a shame to see a potentially fine craft going to waste and dry.

The only one
The only Expedition I know of is the NC Expedition 19 kayak at, www.nckayaks.com

Maybe you can inquire about a used on at the site.

I just invested and bought a new Expedition 19 from them, and its the answer to a dream for me.

CD makes good kayaks, very good kayaks.
I have paddled 9 different CD kayaks and not one did not perform to a surperier level. Even their shortest Model, the Kestrel 120 Rotomold tracked in a straight line, and had speed.

I paddled a kayak very close to the breeze… the Whistler. The whistler and breeze are both fish form kayaka that are very durable. The whistler tracked perfectly, with a cruising speed of about 4 mph. I actually outpaddled a Solctice in it.

Got Some Answers…
I emailed the guy with some questions about weight, material, and room, and the first answer was a deal-breaker: 70-80 lbs! Way too heavy for me to wrestle onto the top of my Ridgeline.

However, I did get to inspect a CD Breeze today, and came away impressed. It seemed a really good fit for me, and very well constructed. So, tomorrow I’ll pick up the one year-old Breeze that’s supposed to be in excellent shape for $450…including sales tax on a new discounted one, that saves me at least $250. We’ll see…

Thanks for all the responses!

Cheers,

Tom

My guess is it was stolen
A couple of folks selling a sea kayak far from any large body of water, who know little about kayaking, and get hostile when you ask too many questions?

Well, one of my paddling buddies has
an 18’ Assateague. I think that’s well over $3k worth of sea kayak, and he lives in Indy. Not a large body of water around. Now, he came from PA, via CO, and won’t be here forever either (transferred with work). But there are dealers that sell big water long boats here, and I’ve seen several on roof racks driving around.

YoS

Sure.
But a guy that doesn’t seem to know much about kayaks buys one, doesn’t learn anything about it or use it much for three years, then goes to sell it. All adds up to ripped off to me.

CD boats are very good…
But your post shows you know nothing about paddling, or kayaks… (Pamlico_14’s post)

chuck-
I dont know what happened, you were much nicer to me back when you were on my forum. You dont have to deny it, I know the truth. I know you genuinley posted there. Because it definetley was not me.

Check again

– Last Updated: Mar-04-09 9:44 AM EST –

I don't think any single sea kayak would weigh in that much. The seller does not seem to have a clue. If this is indeed 18'x21" boat, it would be *very* different from the Breeze, so figure out what you want first.

P.S. He can also provide "mare" photos upon request if you want a ride along with the kayak -;)

On the Breeze - I have not paddled it, but by looking at the photo on CD's web site, it will be a fine stable boat for slow relaxed cruising. At http://www.cdkayak.com/products/template/product_detail.php?IID=137&SID=83a937a83533c2b5fdffe0703cbf87b1

Make sure you get the "secured bow buoyancy bag" that CD says comes with it or get your own. Without it, you could easily be in big trouble should your boat fill-up with water with you swimming along side it ...

Good boat

– Last Updated: Mar-05-09 11:47 PM EST –

I have a CD Pachena, the glass version of the Breeze. It's a little slow, I suppose, but for the paddling you mention it will be perfect. It glides well, is remarkably stable and handles wakes from hooligan speed boaters with aplomb. Everyone likes it, so even if you personally outgrow it skill-wise, you'll probably want to keep it around as a loaner. My wife loves it, as well as the other 4 or 5 newbies who've borrowed it. I'll never get rid of mine - enjoy.
PS for $450 I think it's a no-brainer. You could paddle it for a season and sell for $400 next year if you don't like it, but you will....