Everglades in January

I’m planning a 10 day trip through the everglades this January. With a double klepper and a canoe, I think we can carry the gross weight of our supplies.

I’m curious if anyone has any advice on things to bring, or wise words from trips past. I’m looking for tips on fishing especially.

glades

– Last Updated: Dec-14-06 12:21 PM EST –

use sunscreen.

mosquitoes own the place after dark. plan your day accordingly.

pay close attention to your navigation. in the mangroves it all looks very much alike.

racoons are bold, plentiful, and resourceful. keep your food and water in hardside containers, if you use deadmen anchors to hold down a tent in a storm be aware that the 'coons will dig up your anchors (suspect they think it is a sea turtle nest). turn your canoe over or be prepared for a sandy mess where they have explored every inch of your boat. this advice applies to beach sites.

tie your boat to a tree. in a blow you don't want to lose your transportation.

permethrin spray applied to the mosquito netting on your tent will be worth the effort in that it will decrease the number of no-see-ums and mosquitoes coming in to spend the night with you.

shake out clothing and shoes including life jackets before wearing. there are scorpions here.

though it is a low probability occurrence, murky water, lots of prey, and plenty of bull sharks have been enough to keep me from swimming in the glades. do as you feel best.

barefoot is not a good idea. shells, limestone, and urchins can ruin your trip.

fishing? live shrimp are best (good luck), but a variety of soft plastic grubs have also worked for me. a cast net for bait can be a trip saver.

it is a great place! truly a wild environment and a unique and beautiful trip.

--harry

Lots of Dark
Don’t forget that it will be dark a large portion of the time. Bring cards, a cribbage board, books–or whatever you need to pass the extra hours when you’ve slept enough and it isn’t light out yet.

ENP advice
Don’t launch w/o chart(s) & compass. Ranger will supply tide chart w/ permit

Try not to share a campsite w/ an Outward Bound group

As stated hard sided containers for all food & water is a must. Don’t even consider hanging your food like here in NY or coons will get it for sure. They’ve even been known to open kayak hatches !

Johnny Malloy’s book is a great resource.

Mosquitos are much less bothersome on “outside”

Water (& other fluids) weigh up fast @ 8lbs/gal. Even just 2 of you will need 160 lbs. worth to meet the gal/person/day recommendation (more if you like to bathe)

After dark entertainment is a great idea.

Wife & I look fwd to returning for our 7th multi day trip in Feb.

What campsites are you hoping to get ?

Have a great trip !

racoons
The racoons are fearless and will raid both your food and water as already mentioned. Most campers expect the food scavenging, but unless you have paddled salt water areas in the dry season it may be a surprise that you have to protect your water supply.

We take a cooler (strapped shut) on short trips, and the racoons at some of the campsites have figured out how to open the drain valve to get the meltwater. Just be sure not to leave your water jugs open or lightly capped.

Road advice
Don’t cut anybody off or flip anybody off if you drive through Miami, unless you are fixing to get shot. :slight_smile:

Don’t forget the tides!
They have a profound effect not only on how far/fast you can travel, they will show up elsewhere. Consider this: you’re camped on a chickee with your canoe tied up beside it. As darkness falls, so does the water level as the tide goes out. Your canoe drops below deck level and perhaps one end drifts under the chickee. Later that night the water begins to rise again. The end of your canoe is trapped under the deck. The canoe flips, depositing everything inside into the water. At dawn the canoe floats, strangely empty now, beside the chickee. Don’t ask me how I know this.

Steve

A few more tips for you…
1. If you plan on doing the entire route (either inland or gulf)it’s easier to paddle from Flamingo to E’glades City since the winds are generally out of the east (excluding cold fronts) and the tides tend to flow west and north.

2. Bull Sharks are not the only reason for not swimming (although I’ve swam in a few spots there and only during the day in clear water). There are some human-habituated gators, which means they’ve lost their fear of humans due to people tossing their scraps next to a campsite, causing the gators to lose fear of humans, which means they may eat you if you swim in their home waters. There are crocs in the area as well but there’s never been a documented attack on a human. Although they can get quite large they’re rather shy and only eat seafood and carrion.

3. Be aware of other dangers as well, both fauna and flora. Don’t eat any plants or fruits unless you’re absolutely sure you know what it is.

If you want more info on the 'Glades flora and fauna email me.

Excellent advice given above
and about all I can add is email the “Florida Bay Outfitters” and they can give more specifics with maps. Along with water and bug spray, I’d take a GPS and radio; up to date charts; and all the data I can get from locals re the wind and tides. Might do a google search for “pythons” in the everglades as these are now flourishing there and staying well ahead of the rangers attempts to do em in.