Everglades kayaking

Happy post-Thanksgiving.

We’ll be in south Florida and the keys in February. We would love to do a day kayak trip in the Everglades. I understand the weekend we are booked will be a seafood festival in Everglades City so we will avoid the area. Any suggestions like Flamingo or another local or operator?

Thanx!!

the seafood festival in Everglades city
won’t affect any traffic in The Everglades National Park.

You can get little maps at the ranger station in Flamingo for some day trips.

A couple of good ones are Nine mile pond canoe trail and Hells bay canoe trail.

If you want a long (17) miler, the West Bay canoe trail is a great adsventure

If you want them in detail with GPS way points and descriptions, send me a e-mail, and I’ll send you some good info.

What part of the Keys will you be at?

We are heading there today and will be there for the next three months.

Jack L

Everglades & keys
Thank you for the suggestions. We’re starting at Key Largo and will go all the way to watch the sunset at Key West a few days later. We’ll spend two days in Largo.

While you are at Key largo
why not paddle out to North Nest Key, (beautiful sandy beach, and nice clear water). It is a long one, but you can get out and back in a day if you are a intermediate paddler.

It is in the Everglades National Park, and you don’t need a permit, unless you are going to camp overnight.

Stop at Florida Bay Outfitters and get a little map from them, and then take off from the beach right there.

They are great people, and will also set you up with a guided trip if you want one.

If you want some shorter or other trips, send me a e-mail and I’ll attach some good ones for Key Largo or any of the other Keys

jack L

Everglades
A friend of mine, Cynthia, runs kayak outings in the Everglades during the winter.

http://www.kayakswflorida.com/

Flamingo area,
I’m not sure where you’re staying, but we just returned from a week at Collier Seminole State Park.

The Big Cypress National Preserve Welcome Center provides with nice maps of Turner River and Halfway Creek.

Either one can be done as an out and back, or through paddle if you have a shuttle.

The upper part of Turner River is highly recommended.

Both are very beautiful.

Have fun out there.

T